Doc Won’t Allow Chiropractic Care/Horrible Pain

carrieh
carrieh Member Posts: 146 Member

Any advice is appreciated...I’m NED, Stage 4. About 15 surgeries total. I have an ostom, a port, and only 1 lung. People with ostomy‘s, ports, and those who have had back surgery are all allowed to be seen by chiropractors. I had a thoracotomy 1.2 years ago and am in constan, unbelievable pain. I’m fairly certain my vertebrae are out of alignment. I was hones with the chiropractor and he wanted onc’s ok to align me (gently). She said no because “my bones have been through a lot and might be fragile.” WHAT? There’s no evidence of anything being wrong with my bones? Im angry. That’s ridiculouS! Im crying in pain and taking opiates I cannot afford...about to lose my job because I have to lay on a heating pad all day, barely eating due to the pain medication and I can’t see relief?

Do I go to another chiropractor and just not tell him so he pops me? I need help and  feel absolutely desperate and like my doctor doesn’t have my comfort in mind. I think I angered her by sending her studies showing how chiropractic care can help and that it’s gentle etc...I also said “can we at least ask the surgeon if it’s dangerous“.....her bone theory is (well) stupid (crying in pain)

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Second opinion

Reach out to someone else for a second opinion.  Nobody should be in that amount of pain, if there is a fix that might work. 

I'm so sorry to hear of your stresses. You have already been through the ringer, you don't need added pain. 

Good luck, Carrieh.

Tru

• carrieh
    Hey Tru

Hey Old Timer! Nice to see a familiar face. I haven't been on in awhile. Hope you're doing ok. I'm terrible with typing..frozen shoulder/arm pain...I'm almost at the point of switching oncologists...I don't know. Maybe I'm being overly emotional and she's being protective but I'm up to 6 pain pills per day and still crying and she's not offering any solutions...at all. I have a chiro appointment at 830 tomorrow...thinking of just not mentioning cancer and saying pop my neck! Just worried it's dangerous now...

• Trubrit
    Tempting but no

Not sure what you weigh, but you do look rather tiny in your picture. I would definitely follow your Oncologist's orders, or, tell your chiro upfront what she said. 

I think you are wise to think it might be dangerous. 

Better safe than sorry, my friend. 

And hey, whose calling me an old timer.  Its my birthday on Friday, but I'm only going to be 59, so I'll hold off on the old timer until next year. 

And yes, I am doing very well. Side effects which I can live with. Overall general health, great. 

It is good to see you back, but not good to hear of your trials. 

Good luck with the pain control. 

Tru

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Does your cancer center have Integrative Med?

Mine offers massage, acupuncture, and other integrative therapies. My local cancer center (not my main one) had integrative med physicians that they refer to (that have training in cancer care. )  ask for referrals.  Maybe Someone can help. 

• carrieh
    Trubrit said:

Tempting but no

Not sure what you weigh, but you do look rather tiny in your picture. I would definitely follow your Oncologist's orders, or, tell your chiro upfront what she said. 

I think you are wise to think it might be dangerous. 

Better safe than sorry, my friend. 

And hey, whose calling me an old timer.  Its my birthday on Friday, but I'm only going to be 59, so I'll hold off on the old timer until next year. 

And yes, I am doing very well. Side effects which I can live with. Overall general health, great. 

It is good to see you back, but not good to hear of your trials. 

Good luck with the pain control. 

Tru

Happy Early BDay! i never

Happy Early BDay! i never thought I'd be happy to get older each year, but now I give myself a little internal high-five with each new year. Like "HA" they said I'd never see 33 and I'm 37! Oh yeh! It makes my heart soar to hear good news :) You're an Amazon.

• carrieh
    abrub said:

Does your cancer center have Integrative Med?

Mine offers massage, acupuncture, and other integrative therapies. My local cancer center (not my main one) had integrative med physicians that they refer to (that have training in cancer care. )  ask for referrals.  Maybe Someone can help. 

I live in the middle of

I live in the middle of nowhere :) ...kind of a small cancer center but I think that's solid advice, thank you so much. Even if there aren't official integrative therapies, sometimes just talking to others can help. Maybe I can find somewhere close by that does. I'm so desperate at the moment ...just for a bit of relief that isn't an opiate. Nothing wrong with opiates when they're needed...just after awhile, they don't work so well and I tend to lose weight, sleep too much. Big believer in options when possible. :) 

• Trubrit
    carrieh said:

Happy Early BDay! i never

Happy Early BDay! i never thought I'd be happy to get older each year, but now I give myself a little internal high-five with each new year. Like "HA" they said I'd never see 33 and I'm 37! Oh yeh! It makes my heart soar to hear good news :) You're an Amazon.

I shop on Amazon

does that count?!!

Hugs, Carrieh!

Tru

• Macdougal
    Macdougal Member Posts: 18
    Neck adjustment device

My chiropractor treats geriatric patients and has a special device to do so.  I think it’s called a Pulsar?

since I’ve been diagnosed i’m worried about getting a virgorus traditional neck adjustment because of potentially low platelets. I get neck, back, forearm and wrist pain if I don’t get adjusted.

i asked him to use it on me and it basically taps all your neck vertebrae into alignment after running it up and down your neck.

works fine, very gentle.

you might call and ask if a local chiro has one or is willing to get one.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Maybe Yoga?

If there is a qualified yoga instructor (not just someone who teaches at a fitness center who took a week course) they can often help with gentle exercises.  They can spot alignment and other issues to help.  Something to check with your oncologist.  You can ask another oncologist for a second on the chiropractor side of things.  You can also ask for clarification from your current oncologist in terms of what bones too weak means - has something happened that is picked up in the scans regarding bone density or other things?

Some other good advice above, definately worth checking out.  Run down all the options to help you.  H--l you called Tru old timer and survived, you can take care of this no worries then Foot in Mouth  (Ummm, Tru, please don't hurt me.  LOL)  Happy Birthday a bit early :)

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Have you had a bone density test?

If you've done radiation you may have bone loss (don't know how or if surgeries ffects bones but i know rad does). Your doc may be afraid treatment you're seeking may be too much foryou to bear . I'd definitely,if possible seek another doctor's  opinion. Pain is one thing you shouldn't have to deal with...

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I don't know much

about manipulation and other techniques. I know what opiods do and don't , pain killers in general, but something that's always helped, when nothing would, was vibration. Whether hand massagers or just shaking my arm/leg, I could gain some relief . Are you sure their's no device, no heating, shaking, horseshoe pillow type thing out there, on Tru's Amazon that might bring some easy relief? If this has you in tears, you don't have much to lose by trying some gadgets. I may brake down and road test some vibrating easy chairs, and if I find something I like, I'm sure i'll be singing about it here.............Happy Birthday Tru.....................Dave

• darcher
    darcher Member Posts: 304 Member
    Happy Birthday Trubrit

I just had one a last week myself and now, for what ever reason the clock is going backwards.  I lost a year, according to me! 

• Trubrit
    NewHere said:

Maybe Yoga?

If there is a qualified yoga instructor (not just someone who teaches at a fitness center who took a week course) they can often help with gentle exercises.  They can spot alignment and other issues to help.  Something to check with your oncologist.  You can ask another oncologist for a second on the chiropractor side of things.  You can also ask for clarification from your current oncologist in terms of what bones too weak means - has something happened that is picked up in the scans regarding bone density or other things?

Some other good advice above, definately worth checking out.  Run down all the options to help you.  H--l you called Tru old timer and survived, you can take care of this no worries then Foot in Mouth  (Ummm, Tru, please don't hurt me.  LOL)  Happy Birthday a bit early :)

I'm coming after you, New

old lady driving smiley    Better run for your life. 

TRU

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Trubrit said:

I'm coming after you, New

old lady driving smiley    Better run for your life. 

TRU

Ummmm Happy Birthday?

I am East Coast - it is now your Birthday, so I am first to wish you this. You cannot hurt me.  Too much.  Right?  Cool

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited December 2017 #16
    So very sorry

I'm so sorry you are going through this especially with all this pain.  You have to be to the point where you will try anything to get better.  Your earlier post said you might not tell the chiropratic doctor what your other doctor said.  Did you have any luck on getting something done?  Just wishing you felt better. 

Big Hugs Kim