Update

Well my daughter's had her 4th round of chemo. Wipes her outb but so far so good. Her WBC are beginning to drop some but they said she's still within range that they don't  have to lower any doses. She just shaved her hair off cause it was falling out.  Being 24 she didn't take that well. We all told her it'll grow back. She goes for more blood work and another pet scan next week. Hopefully everything is going away. 8 more treatments to go and fingers crossed she won't need radiation. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. 

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    Good to hear!

As to all the rest, well, it sure beats the alternative. At 24, she can do this standing on her head...but don't tell her that!

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    po18guy said:

Good to hear!

As to all the rest, well, it sure beats the alternative. At 24, she can do this standing on her head...but don't tell her that!

If

If I were a female, I would get a good wig, or at least wear attractive hats.  Not an option for men.  It can help psychologically....I looked like an egg during chemo, since my eyelashes and eyebrows fell out, along with my hair.  Only a thought. 

WBC count is easily controlled and kept in normal ranges with Neulasta.

As Po noted, her youth will give her additional stamina,

max

• Kellie75
    Kellie75 Member Posts: 17
    She got a wig yesterday. It

She got a wig yesterday. It was actually free paid for from the American Cancer society! I think it helped her emotional state alot. Bad news she's got a pretty bad cold. Think she might of gotten it from the baby. Everyone seems to be getting sick. I'm Abit worried since her WBC count is down. She goes to doctors on Tuesday to go over the pet scan and blood work so I guess if she's still sick we shall see what he says. 

• Sal0101
    Sal0101 Member Posts: 136 Member
    It does grow back!

When I first lost my hair I didn’t believe it would grow back.  It did.  The second time I lost my hair I was sceptical again. However it grew back!  Right now it’s about 5 inches long and somewhat curly, although starting to Straitened out just like the old days.   I had several hats, and 2 wigs.  (I also had a wig I tossed. It was awful and I learned) 

Your daughter is young. She Can do it! She still has a life even though it may have changed. 

As a mother, I can’t imagine what YOU are going through.  You also need to believe she can do it. 

• Kellie75
    She went to the doctor today.

She went to the doctor today. He said her pet scan showed very good results. Everything is shrinking. She still needs to have the total 6 cycle's and he's going to send her for consultation to radiologist. But still hoping she won't have to have radiation. She had chemo treatment afterwards. So now she won't need another 1 till after Christmas. 

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Kellie75 said:

She went to the doctor today.

She went to the doctor today. He said her pet scan showed very good results. Everything is shrinking. She still needs to have the total 6 cycle's and he's going to send her for consultation to radiologist. But still hoping she won't have to have radiation. She had chemo treatment afterwards. So now she won't need another 1 till after Christmas. 

Excellent

Glad to hear the excellent report Kellie. A blessed Christmas to you all...

max

• Kellie75
    Thanks Max. Merry Christmas

Thanks Max. Merry Christmas to you as well.

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    edited December 2017 #9
    Sal0101 said:

It does grow back!

When I first lost my hair I didn’t believe it would grow back.  It did.  The second time I lost my hair I was sceptical again. However it grew back!  Right now it’s about 5 inches long and somewhat curly, although starting to Straitened out just like the old days.   I had several hats, and 2 wigs.  (I also had a wig I tossed. It was awful and I learned) 

Your daughter is young. She Can do it! She still has a life even though it may have changed. 

As a mother, I can’t imagine what YOU are going through.  You also need to believe she can do it. 

Hats

Shortly after I was diagnosed I decided that I was going to wear the caps, not a wig. It was fun wearing the different caps with scarfs and pins. 

My hair has been growing back for about 20 months now. It came in fine and straight, like it was before. But it is still thin in many places, espcially in the front. I am probably going to have to get it trimmed every 3 - 4 months to try and get it to look a little thicker.