Feeling like my doctor doesn't care

lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548

i saw my new oncologist last week because I have a distinctive lump where my breast was.  He examined it and said it is scar tissue on my rib.   No ultrasound, no blood work, no MRI, no biopsy. How does he know that by just touching?

i was first DX in 2008 And had a bilateral mastectomy.

any thoughts? Thx. 

Comments

• JosephK
    JosephK Member Posts: 64
    Be You Own

You need to be your own advocate. To many doctors you are just a number and a statistic. Get a 2nd opinion and find someone who you like and can develop a good relationship with. Don't worry about hurting someones feelings, this is your life you are talking about.

• lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    JosephK said:

Be You Own

You need to be your own advocate. To many doctors you are just a number and a statistic. Get a 2nd opinion and find someone who you like and can develop a good relationship with. Don't worry about hurting someones feelings, this is your life you are talking about.

Thank you

you are absolutely correct; and I know that !    I just needed someone to tell me. Thank you

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    New Breast Lump

In my opinion, a breast lump on someone with a previous cancer diagnosis is serious until PROPER diagnostics says it is not. A brief palpation with no follow up of any kind simply does not work. I think you are absolutely correct to expect more than what you got. Please seek a second opinion QUICKLY. Let us know how it goes.

IRENE 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    What!

Oh Lordy!  Irene is spot on, get a second opinion. 

Hugs,

Annie

• Elaine_wi
    Elaine_wi Member Posts: 124 Member
    edited November 2017 #6
    2nd and 3rd opinion.

If I were you in your shoes I would run, not walk, to get a second and even a third opinion. I think it is very unprofessional of that oncologist not to order any diagnostic tests. Also, scar tissue does not suddenly develop nine years after surgery, it would have developed much sooner than that, I beleive in the weeks or months following surgery.

Keep posting, let us know how things turn out.

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member

Though they may think so, doctors are not gods!! They work for you! I have been fortunate, that when I felt stuff in my armpit, my doc said it wasn't anything but if I would like a test thing, he would be glad to do it to ease my worries.

Just remember, THEY WORK FOR YOU!!!! YOU are their employer.

• Mariangel43
    Mariangel43 Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2017 #8
    Lump

I agree with many of you, ladies. Get an oncologist you will feel safe. Doctors are not friends but they surely must care for us because our lives depend on their expertise. And just get your second and many opinions until you feel satisfied.