Weight loss from recovery ?

Sal7864
Sal7864 Member Posts: 52

Hi, another question on how much weight might I lose during recovery from cancerous kidney removal ? I am 5' 11"  only 140, (I lost 35 lbs this year due to a previous fissure surgery ) and am concermed about losing weight during my recovery. I am not underweight but am very close.

Thanks again all, really appreciate all of the input.

Comments

• Bryn1108
    Bryn1108 Member Posts: 97 Member
    Hi

So I lost 20 lbs within first 2 weeks, but mine was due to gall bladder trouble that required gall bladder removal 5 weeks later.  Could not get appetite back, so dr gave me some anxiety med that increase appetite.  So from 134 to 117 and now year later 126. I'm now trying to get stronger.  Now I eat so much healthier,  drink plenty of water, exercise,  and take all natural plant-based supplements that my 4 doctors approved.  I feel great now. For extreme nausea only fresh ginger tea helped.  Wishing you the best,  prayers. 

• Sal7864
    edited November 2017 #3
    Bryn1108 said:

Hi

So I lost 20 lbs within first 2 weeks, but mine was due to gall bladder trouble that required gall bladder removal 5 weeks later.  Could not get appetite back, so dr gave me some anxiety med that increase appetite.  So from 134 to 117 and now year later 126. I'm now trying to get stronger.  Now I eat so much healthier,  drink plenty of water, exercise,  and take all natural plant-based supplements that my 4 doctors approved.  I feel great now. For extreme nausea only fresh ginger tea helped.  Wishing you the best,  prayers. 

Thank you sir

Thank you sir

• Supersum
    Supersum Member Posts: 109 Member
    edited November 2017 #4
    Put on weight

I was very underweight by the time of my nephrectomy as a result of many months of illness then after the nephrectomy I started to put on weight almost immediately after discharge averaging 1kg / 2.2lb per week over the next 20 weeks. I had nausea but it wasn't a nauseated aversion to food so it didn't stop me eating.

• Sal7864
    edited November 2017 #5
    Thank you Supersum!

Thank you Supersum!

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    I got my appetite back pretty quickly after surgery

I actually gained about 10 pounds sitting on my butt for six weeks, recovering from my surgery. And I was getting exercise and moving around a good amount. But especially in the beginning, it was a lot of eating and resting.

• kiwi68
    kiwi68 Member Posts: 110
    edited November 2017 #7
    See my answer to where you posted the question previously

but ravenous, great appetitie immediately.   If you want help with meal planning i am happy to help you, I cater and often cook for patients who are lacking an appetitie or need to put on some weight. 

• Sal7864
    Thank you very much Kiwi,

Thank you very much Kiwi, also I have had a couple of friends suggest that I see a nutritionist, I may do that 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    I lost weight initially as I

I lost weight initially as I had zero appetite after surgery. But once it returned I put weight back on. I was 117 before surgery, about 107 by a couple of weeks after, and now 124, which is good for my height (5' 5").

• Angiebby75
    Angiebby75 Member Posts: 208 Member
    I lost ten pounds it has and

I lost ten pounds my surgery was on the Oct 30th. I seem to get fuller faster and can’t eat like I use to.

• Rockspin
    Rockspin Member Posts: 77
    I lost 8 lbs after surgery

I lost 8 lbs after surgery which is not good because I am underweight to start with. its been a little over 8 weeks since surgery so I'm hoping to start putting on some weight.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    I found that Ensure worked as

I found that Ensure worked as extra calories. It comes in chocolate flavor too which was nice. And I was able to drink that much more than eat something of the same caloric value.