***Update*** New here.

Nanaof10
Nanaof10 Member Posts: 57 Member
edited December 2017 in Kidney Cancer #1

Waiting impatiently. Went to Doctor May 11th with UTI. Dr found blood in urine culture. Not uncommon. Antibiotics for 2 weeks. Went back for 2 week check. Still blood. Scheduled ultrasound 6/1. Found some unremarkable issues, but Doctor wanted me to see a Urologist. He thought it was just a bad infection. Put me on stronger antibiotics for 30 days and sent me for a CT scan 7/17. Test result: Ill-defined low density lesion in the Right kidney mid-pole measuring 2.2 x 1.3 cm. This does NOT represent a simple cyst. Renal Cell Carcinoma Malignancy can NOT be ruled out. 10mm cyst upper right pole Right kidney.

Still convinced it was an infection, he put me on yet stronger antibiotics for another 30 days and sent me for an MRI 9/5. Test result: 1.5 x 1.3 enhancing nodule within the posterior mid right kidney consistant with renal cell carcinoma. 11mm simple cyst anterior upper pole right kidney. A cystic 12 mm lesion posterior mid left kidney. 6 mm cystic lesion lower pole right kidney. No evidence metastatic disease. Encapsulated nodule.

Since there is a .91 cm difference between the two scans, he is still uncertain on what it is even though BOTH scans advise RCC. I have ANOTHER CT scan scheduled for 11/29 and then an appointment with his partner the Surgeon 12/6 for a final decision/diagnosis. So, I've been messing around with this for 6 months. He stated that IF it IS RCC, it's VERY slow growing and he could wait a year to operate and it won't grow. Still, if it's RCC, I want it gone!! 

Reading all your stories, all the advice, as I'm sure that on Dec 6th I'll be told RCC and surgery. I've had an emergency C-section with the cut up and down, an abdominal hysterectomy, and laproscopic gallbladder surgery so abdominal surgery isn't unknown to me. Was also in healthcare for over 25 years, so know all the old and new tricks to help with movement and such. This surgeon does both Robotic and Laproscopic, so praying for that and easy recovery. I'm also diabetic, so that issue has me more concerned than anything. 

Thank you for listening and wishing all of you the best.

Deb

Comments

• rdoyd2
    rdoyd2 Member Posts: 80 Member
    it is true that it can be

it is true that it can be slow growing but  it can and is for some unfortunatly fast growing. i would not wait a year for the surgery. with the size less than two cm you have very great prognosis. but i would have the surgery sooner not later.

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Wouldn’t wait

either but those amounts of unknowens

Have you had a chest scan

• Nanaof10
    edited November 2017 #4

Wouldn’t wait

either but those amounts of unknowens

Have you had a chest scan

Yes. Liver, Lungs, everything

Yes. Liver, Lungs, everything between my neck and my thighs has been CT scanned at least once. He stated that he is really certain that it is an infection that we just can't get to go away and he just wants to be absolutely sure of RCC before cutting me open unnecessarily. I just don't get why he thinks infection when TWO seasoned radiology doctors both state RCC. That's why he scheduled me with the surgeon for final resolve. And this guy is tops in his field where I live. SMH

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Nip it in the bud

Nana,

Whatever the diagnosi s it was caught early and you are looking at an excellent prognosis. Save all these  questions for your appointment with the surgeon and remember that each case is unique and ttheir maybe more thatn one approach to your individual case.

Icemantoo

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Sorry

gettimg confused between your first and second measurements on the enchancing mass

How much has it grown

• Nanaof10
    Actually, the CT was first,

Actually, the CT was first, MRI was second and said difference is -.91 cm. He wasn't sure if it actually shrunk or if the difference was in the 2 different technologies and/or the difference between 2 doctors interpertations. That's why he wanted me to wait 3 months and have a repeat CT....to compare it to previous CT and disregard the MRI.

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Ahh

Right

well glad it was found and you have loads of time to sort out

Keep us posted

• rdoyd2
    rdoyd2 Member Posts: 80 Member
    edited November 2017 #9
    shrinking is great news!

shrinking is great news!

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited November 2017 #10
    Welcome Deb

My advice would be to find a urologic oncologist for an opinion.  The good news is that it's very small.

Donna~

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    edited November 2017 #11
    I asked for a 2nd opinion and

I asked for a 2nd opinion and it saved me. I would always encourage asking for one. 

• Maybe I missed it,

Any biopsy done?

I wish you the best.

• Nanaof10
    No biopsy done

The Urology doctor believes they are a waste of time as they can be wrong. We'll see what the surgeon says.

On another note, any T2 diabetics here? Wondering how you did with sugars while on the IV and not really eating much for the first few days. Also wondering how healing went. Fast? Slower than normal? Worried about infection? TIA.

• Nanaof10
    edited November 2017 #14
    My second opinion

will actually be my surgeon.  My instincts/intuition tells me that he will recommend surgery asap.

• Nanaof10
    Update....and NOT looking good.

2nd CT scan done yesterday. Report received today.

COMPARISON: Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the abdomen without/with contrast of 9/5/2017. CT scan of the abdomen without/with contrast of 7/17/2017 and renal ultrasound of 6/1/2017.

A 1.4 cm smoothly marginated, low attenuating, homogeneous nodule is seen in the left adrenal with average Hounsfield units of -13, a benign adenoma. A 1.6 cm smoothly marginated, homogeneous, low attenuating nodule is seen in the left adrenal which demonstrates average Hounsfield units of -1, also a benign adenoma.

A few simple cysts are noted in the right kidney measuring up to 1.4 cm in greatest axial diameter. A 2 cm complex enhancing lesion is seen posterior laterally in the middle pole of the right kidney which has increased from 1.5 cm in greatest axial diameter on magnetic resonance imaging of 9/5/2017. This is an enlarging renal cell carcinoma.

The right renal vein enhances normally.

A calyceal diverticulum is seen posteriorly in the middle pole of the left kidney. A 0.5 cm enhancing nodule is seen laterally in the middle pole of the left kidney, best visualized on nephrographic series #3, slice 68 and urographic series 10, slice 68. This lesion is characterized with difficulty due to its size, however; a small solid neoplasm is not excluded.

Urographic phase imaging shows no mucosal lesion within the urinary tract. The abdominal aorta is mildly ectatic with greatest AP diameter of 2.4 cm. No retroperitoneal or mesenteric mass or adenopathy is identified.

Enlarging complex cystic neoplasm posterolaterally in the middle pole of the right kidney which has increased in size from 1.5 to 2 cm in greatest diameter over a four-month interval.

Indeterminate 0.5 cm nodule laterally in the middle pole of the left kidney, a small solid neoplasm at this site is not excluded.

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    edited December 2017 #16
    So glad you are getting a
    So glad you are getting a second opinion! So the tumor is 2cm? I too had cysts in both kidneys. The largest being 6cm. I also had some show up on my spleen and something on my pancreas too. It sounds like all the other things are benign which is great! Hopefully they take that tumor out asap and figure out what exactly is going on with the left kidney. Good luck!!!!