Allogenic Stem Cell Transplant

I have friend who has a niece who will be getting an allogenic stem cell transplant.can anyone tell me what is the most critical time during this process. He is in another state and was wondering when he should be there for support.

Sandy Ray

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2017 #2
    Pre-transplant to 100 days post-transplant

Sorry to hear of this. If she is alone, then the sooner the better for support. The conditioning chemo for transplant can be very rough and in the immediate post-transplant setting, I viewed it as a near death experience. The mind knows that survival is likely, but when the marrow is producing zero blood cells, the body does not. It wants to curl up and die. At least, that was my impression. Not to steal members, but I moderate the transplant forum at www.cancerforums.net. We have serveral there who have undergone transplants and experneces are all over the map. This is expaected, as two unique DNAs are being combined in what is essentially a medical experiment that will never be repeated. We end up being chimeras, organisms with two DNAs co-existing. 

• Sandy Ray
    Sandy Ray Member Posts: 143 Member
    po18guy said:

Pre-transplant to 100 days post-transplant

Sorry to hear of this. If she is alone, then the sooner the better for support. The conditioning chemo for transplant can be very rough and in the immediate post-transplant setting, I viewed it as a near death experience. The mind knows that survival is likely, but when the marrow is producing zero blood cells, the body does not. It wants to curl up and die. At least, that was my impression. Not to steal members, but I moderate the transplant forum at www.cancerforums.net. We have serveral there who have undergone transplants and experneces are all over the map. This is expaected, as two unique DNAs are being combined in what is essentially a medical experiment that will never be repeated. We end up being chimeras, organisms with two DNAs co-existing. 

Support

The support is more for the husband. She has local family he just wanted to be there to give the husband someone to lean on as his wife is going through this.

Sandy Ray