How about "ALL Cancers October"

Alright, I just have to vent.  

I HATE pink October.  I just want to scream - HEY!  WHAT ABOUT OUR CANCER?! I know how many wonderful ladies we have lost and there just doesn't seem to be the money or the research for us - and it is WORSE for the true orphan cancers.  Vulvar cancer?  These women - were do they go?  Who wants to talk about a cancer like that 'down there'?  Of course - we care - but why can't October be for ALL cancers??

I just lost my mother, to a slow growing breast cancer she lived with for almost 12 years.  I get it.  She hated pink.  I hate pink and avoid that color and all the 'pink' products.  

You don't have to agree with me, that's ok.  I respect everyone's opinion and only hope you all respect mine.

Thanks lady.  I get off my platform and go back to my coffee.  

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    edited October 2017 #2
    I agree 100%

So tired of all the Pink adds.  My problem is that I really like the color pink and these support pink people are ruining my love for pink.  When I was small my mother never let me wear anything that was pink.  She said that little red headed girls did not look good in pink.  So now 8 have a lot of pink clothing.  Probably wont wear it much any more.  This summer a rather creepy man dressed in pink came up to me and thanked me for supporting breast cancer.  We do need a support all cancers not just the one.

Lou Ann

• mwells1004
    mwells1004 Member Posts: 13
    RIGHT!?!

I was just pontificating on this topic earlier today. I feel like people are 'aware' of breast cancer at this point but our sisters around the world desperately need more education and awareness about the signs and symptoms of gynecological cancers. Not to mention while the funding for breast cancer research has allowed for massive strides in treatment and survival rates some gyn cancers like mine (MMMT) have not seen marked improvement in survival rates in over 40 years. The money and push for research just isn't there. This is probably all sour grapes from me though.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Wow

That's pretty bad when we can't even wear pink without it being assumed we are making a statement. 

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Agreement

I agree with you, No Time for Cancer, although like Lou Ann, I love pink.  It's my favorite color.  I was cleaning out my jewelry armoire yesterday and found one of those traitorous pink ribbon pins in there.  Although my mother, grandmother, and cousin all had breast cancer, I wondered how that thing snuck its way in there when I should have a "horse" of a different color. 

I was reminded of when I was in my BJ's store this spring and I asked a woman in line ahead of me at the check-out why she was wearing a peach ribbon, if she had someone with cancer in her family.  She told me it had been part of a give-away at her bank, nothing to do with cancer.  When I told her about mine, she asked me if I would like her to pray for me.  I said "sure."  She actually prayed for me right in line.  I never expected to have that happen as I was waiting to check out.  I guess her prayers worked (along with many other people's) as I was found to be NED today.

• Amatullah
    Amatullah Member Posts: 36

RIGHT!?!

I was just pontificating on this topic earlier today. I feel like people are 'aware' of breast cancer at this point but our sisters around the world desperately need more education and awareness about the signs and symptoms of gynecological cancers. Not to mention while the funding for breast cancer research has allowed for massive strides in treatment and survival rates some gyn cancers like mine (MMMT) have not seen marked improvement in survival rates in over 40 years. The money and push for research just isn't there. This is probably all sour grapes from me though.

We are Someone!

The only people who will push for research for cancers like MMMT and other more rare cancers, are those of us who have it and those who love us.  We are the someone who should do something about it. DerMaus posted a link for Gyn CarcinoSarcoma yesterday.  I'm going to research it a little and post the link for it on my Facebook and a couple of other places.  I disappeared from Facebook and haven't told many people about having cancer.  The site asks for donations for the research.  And it educates.  Here is the link.   http://gcsproject.org/community/

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited October 2017 #7
    I, with all of you! While i

I, with all of you! While i actually like the color, I dread October. As I’ve mentioned before, I am from Peoria, I’ll home of Susan Komen. We are told about breast cancer throughout the year and inOctober it is a daily assault on TV and newspaper!! My best friend had  breast cancer

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    I couldn’t finish for some

I couldn’t finish for some reason and my friend hates the constant reminders! I am determined to raise awareness about all women’s cancer especially in September next year! 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    pinky104 said:

Agreement

I agree with you, No Time for Cancer, although like Lou Ann, I love pink.  It's my favorite color.  I was cleaning out my jewelry armoire yesterday and found one of those traitorous pink ribbon pins in there.  Although my mother, grandmother, and cousin all had breast cancer, I wondered how that thing snuck its way in there when I should have a "horse" of a different color. 

I was reminded of when I was in my BJ's store this spring and I asked a woman in line ahead of me at the check-out why she was wearing a peach ribbon, if she had someone with cancer in her family.  She told me it had been part of a give-away at her bank, nothing to do with cancer.  When I told her about mine, she asked me if I would like her to pray for me.  I said "sure."  She actually prayed for me right in line.  I never expected to have that happen as I was waiting to check out.  I guess her prayers worked (along with many other people's) as I was found to be NED today.

Pinky - Congrats!!!! That is

Pinky - Congrats!!!! That is wonderful news!!!! May you dance with NED forever this time.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Good Subject No Time

I have mixed feelings about the pink thing. It has gotten so commercialized and much of the business profits most likely don't go to cancer research. I read an article yesterday, though;  about death from breast cancer has gone down significantly. Something like 322K... That is wonderful.  And, I guess it is easier to talk about breasts than the "down there" stuff. So, how do we get our cancer noticed? Just like everything else, the most attention will continue to go with the areas that have the biggest impact. Ovarian cancer is starting to get  more attention and it seems that our cancer has a lot in common; so perhaps we will start to get more attention riding that coattail? 

I also like the color pink.....

Love and Hugs!

Cindi

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789

RIGHT!?!

Advocacy

Here is another organization to consider looking into regarding advocacy for rare cancers like MMMT, UPSC, Clear Cell, etc.:

https://rarediseases.org/advocate/take-action-locally/join-rare-action-network/

They advocate for ALL rare diseases including cancers. If you would like to get involved and become an advocate for MMMT or other rare cancers, this may be the group for you. :) 

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited October 2017 #12
    Pink for "Women's Cancer"!

Why can't pink be for "Women's Cancer Month" ? That should cover gyn cancers as well as breast and then maybe the money for research and education could be shared more equitably. It would certainly expand the fundraising pool, wouldn't it?

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    pinky104 said:

Agreement

Hoping you've won the war!

You've certainly been through a lot recently and I hope it all pays off that you keep getting those NED checkups! Congrats!

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    OH my goodness!

I thought I was the only one who thought this way.  I'm with Cindi about it being too commercialized.   I'm glad you brought this up NoTIme.  I too like the color pink.   However, when I used to go the high school football games and they did the pink think (while I am sitting there recoverying from Uterine cancer), it was depressing.   Why do we have to give it a color?  In fact, I don't even know what color I should be?   I was diagnosed endometrial, treated like ovarian (unable to find a primary).   My husband has pancreatic cancer (he's purple) (Doing very well by the way).

Ok, I got anxiety now.   I need a color!!!!    Just kidding.   But it has gotten out a hand a bit.   All cancers should be supported. No one should feel alone fighting this disease, no matter how rare or how common.  And I don't like when I hear people say to someone - "You got the good cancer".  All cancer is bad and should be supported as such.  

(((Hugs)))

Kathy

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    edited October 2017 #15
    I plan to do this.

I plan to do this walk. Let me know if any of you will be there so we can meet up. I plan to go to the educational session the day before, also. It‘s free. 

http://www.foundationforwomenscancer.org/press-release-gynecologic-cancer-foundation-named-one-of-americas-best-100-charities/

https://endwomenscancer.org/

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    pinky104 said:

Agreement

Pinky, that is wonderful!

Way to go, Pinky!  I am so happy to hear you are NED.  Hopefully, this will be the end of cancer for you!!!

Love,

Eldri

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    It kind of annoys me but I

It kind of annoys me but I try to think on the positive side.  There are breast cancer treatments that are working for US.  In a way, the breast cancer women are the guinea pigs with their new treatments.  It's only been in the last decade that most people would even talk openly about any kind of cancer and I think we have to thank the "breast" people.  I remember my mother telling me that people would not admit they had any kind of cancer because you would be shunned.  

However, that being said, when the Breast Cancer Foundation called me to give money, I told them thanks, but no thanks. I support uterine and thyroid cancer research.

Love,

Eldri

• SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    pinky104 said:

Agreement

Wonderful news!

Congrats Pinky! That is so great!

• SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    Feel the same way.

I admit that I get a bit frustrated (and even annoyed) at times with all the hoopla for breast cancer! I find it frustrating that there's almost an assumption that the only cancer affecting women is breast cancer. Awareness of other cancers affecting women is almost zero. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited October 2017 #20

I plan to do this.

I plan to do this walk. Let me know if any of you will be there so we can meet up. I plan to go to the educational session the day before, also. It‘s free. 

http://www.foundationforwomenscancer.org/press-release-gynecologic-cancer-foundation-named-one-of-americas-best-100-charities/

https://endwomenscancer.org/

CQ - I have done this for

CQ - I have done this for several years but with the amount of travel I am doing for work this year I will not be able to makke this one.  You will really like the walk.  It is SO AWESOME to see so many other women with gyn cancers together who 'get it'.  The meeting the day before is also pretty good.  I have done two of them.  Please let me know your thoughts.  There is another wonderful, young woman who I met on the board who I have seen for several years. 

• Cass83
    Cass83 Member Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2017 #21
    Totally Agree!

I too thought I was the only one that felt this way! I have had people assume since I am female that my cancer was breast. I have had to tell them, no it was uterine. I have seen pictures on FB that say "Not All Cancer is Pink" and love it!

BTW, our color is Peach. I do not like peach. Who came up with that? Some man? ugh I like pink, but I agree with everyone, wearing it makes people think I had breast cancer.

Our local highschool football just had a Pink out, and "tacke cancer". Ok, so tackle cancer, but wear a different color, or multi color to represent us all.

Thanks so much for posting and saying what so many have thought!