Fatigue

Options
Wellzen
Wellzen Member Posts: 42

How long does fatigue last. I have been done with treatment since the end of Aug. Try to walk every day. 10 min. at a time. It exhausts me. I am tired of feeling like this

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wellzen

My fatigue lasted for months.  I finished treatment in early September 2008 and was still having fatigue into the next year.  You have not been out of treatment very long, so just be patient.  Give your body the rest it needs, continue to get in those walks, and eat well.  I'm sure that soon you'll have more energy!

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited October 2017 #3
    Options
    Wellzen

Wow I read your post and I immediately was right back there. The fatigue after was awful! I remember asking a friend who had been thru cancer treatment the exact same thing. I was feeling like I could barely get thru a day at work. She said she also barely got thru the day, give it time, it gets better. And it does get better but nearly as fast as you would like! You just have to get a respect for all that the chemo and radiation have put you through and give your body time to recover. Everyone is different in how fast they get back to normal but it's probably safe to say every single one of us wished it would be sooner! Hang in there and try to listen to your body. I walked different distances in different days because some days I had zero energy and some days I felt a little better and could go further. At first I did not try to walk on days I worked a full day. I'm almost two years out and still have low energy days but can go for a 5 mile walk some days and the crushing fatigue is gone. 

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My treatment ended March 17,

My treatment ended March 17, 2017 and I returned to work on May 16.  I was wiped out after treatment and I slept a lot.   I concentrated on eating and drinking  lots of water.  Walked around the house then around the yard.  About a week before I returned to work, I realized I could get through the day without a nap.  I feel pretty good as long as I get my eight hours if sleep at night.  I go to the gym to walk on the treadmill and I do Tai Chi at home.  I start getting tired on Thursday and by Friday I am ready for the weekend.  I have learned to take it easy on the weekends and rest up.  I think it is very important to drink lots of water.  Dehydration will give you a headache and make you tired.

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    take it easy

I'll add, take it easy on yourself.  When I do too much I just exhaust yourself and have to stay in bed for a day or two!  Even things like going to kids sports games and the beach, where I'm mainly sitting, are tiring.    It does get better with time.  Hang in there, you are just a few months out.  Do what you can. 

• Gemma579
    Gemma579 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Exercise?

My last treatment was end of August 2017.  I am still having episodes of fatigue.  I don't recall my doctors advising me to increase activity or exercise to help with fatigue.  Does it help?  If so, I am all for trying it! I get totally exhausted, at times, from the smallest of activities....like taking a shower or climbing a few stairs.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Gemma

Yes exercise helps but you are still pretty fresh out of treatment so don't push yourself. Walking worked for me but others have done yoga or gotten back to running that they had done previously. 

• Wellzen
    edited October 2017 #8
    Options
    Thank you all. I am just

Thank you all. I am just ready to get back to normal however this fatigue will not allow it. I have been advised to increase walking. Which I have been trying to do. Glad to know I am not alone with this problem 

• ACinNC
    ACinNC Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Wellzen said:

Thank you all. I am just

Thank you all. I am just ready to get back to normal however this fatigue will not allow it. I have been advised to increase walking. Which I have been trying to do. Glad to know I am not alone with this problem 

Wellzen

Like you, I just want to get back to something close to normal but the fatigue decides what I can and can't do. I had to stop working at the start of treatment because I was already feeling sick from the cancer and 8 months later I still don'the have the endurance to do more than take care of myself and basic stuff around the house. Walking and excercising with light weights has overcome the deconditioning  from the many weeks of treatment and recovery. But despite doing all the right things, I still run into the crushing wall of fatigue after being up for a few hours.  I guess some of us take longer than others to get over the fatigue.  

• Sparrow1946
    Sparrow1946 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    ACinNC said:

Wellzen

Like you, I just want to get back to something close to normal but the fatigue decides what I can and can't do. I had to stop working at the start of treatment because I was already feeling sick from the cancer and 8 months later I still don'the have the endurance to do more than take care of myself and basic stuff around the house. Walking and excercising with light weights has overcome the deconditioning  from the many weeks of treatment and recovery. But despite doing all the right things, I still run into the crushing wall of fatigue after being up for a few hours.  I guess some of us take longer than others to get over the fatigue.  

I'm fighting fatigue too

I finished my chemo and radation the first week of June of this year. I can't seem to get past this terrible fatigue either. I know that it has to get better but I'm so over come by feeling bad. I'm cancer free thank God. So many blessings. This lack of energy is beginning to take its toll. I'm taking vitamins, but my appetite is still lacking. I pray that given time  we will both feel better. I live alone and it's a chore. Thanks for reading. 

• chrystaldahl
    chrystaldahl Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2017 #11
    Options

I'm fighting fatigue too

I finished my chemo and radation the first week of June of this year. I can't seem to get past this terrible fatigue either. I know that it has to get better but I'm so over come by feeling bad. I'm cancer free thank God. So many blessings. This lack of energy is beginning to take its toll. I'm taking vitamins, but my appetite is still lacking. I pray that given time  we will both feel better. I live alone and it's a chore. Thanks for reading. 

Sparrow, you and I are the

Sparrow, you and I are the same age.  I thought when the treatments were finished that my fatigue would gradually go away.  I fully expect to be cured of cancer, but never thought about how long it might take to get back a little energy.  Hopefully, you will feel better soon.  In the meantime, take care of yourself and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  God bless you.  Sharyl

• Sparrow1946
    Options
    Thank you

I never dreamed I'd feel fatiqued. One day I'm ok and the next I just feel awful. It just has to get better and it will. Looking back I know I'm stronger than I was a couple of months ago. This has been a journey.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. God Bless you and keep you strong.

take good care of yourself.

Barbara

• Wellzen
    Options
    Sparrow  and chrystadahl,  I

Sparrow  and chrystadahl,  I hope you are both feeling less fatigued. I am back to work. Slowly working up to 8 hours a day. It is hard to describe to someone how fatigue feels. Not just tired but really fatigued I hope I get over this soon

• Sparrow1946
    Options
    Wellzen said:

Sparrow  and chrystadahl,  I

Sparrow  and chrystadahl,  I hope you are both feeling less fatigued. I am back to work. Slowly working up to 8 hours a day. It is hard to describe to someone how fatigue feels. Not just tired but really fatigued I hope I get over this soon

Wellzen

Thank you for thinking of me. I'm glad to say my fatigue has been better. I pray for your strength. 

It's been six months since my last treatment and I'm getting better. My biopsy was clear. Thank you Jesus. 

I pray for all who have cancer especially anal cancer. Hopefully one day the treatments will be easier. I'm just so thankful 

I was helped. God bless you.