problems after nephrectomy...anyone else have this?

124»

Comments

• RATRODDER
    RATRODDER Member Posts: 4
    pain

i have bin useing 100% cbd oil when i feel the pain completly legal and does work on me it started knumbing the pain in about 1/2 hr to hour.it just absorbes into the skin.also works on alot of other pain,which i have had for a while 

• Leskew
    Leskew Member Posts: 2
    teastman said:

What pain meds work?

My name is Theresa and I just had a partial nephrectomy two weeks ago. I am young (34) and am very healthy (other than this). I exercise, non-smoker, eat healthy and even gave up alcohol to prepare for recovery from my surgery. I am a little bummed as my surgeon did not tell me that this could be possible. I found out by Googling since I was in such bad pain last night and came across this discussion. 

I had robotic surgery that went very well and I even got to go home a day early. I was off pain meds within two days but started them back up last night. The pain is worse now than it has been at any point since the surgery. I was worried that maybe I had an infection so I took my temperature which indicated no fever. 

I have oxycodone but that obviously cannot be a long-term fix as I do need to get back to work and be able to drive. I was curious how people were dealing with pain management?

I do have a great acupuncturist but cannot drive there right now and will be limited to where I can have the needles at this point. I really hate taking pain meds unless a last resort. 

Thank you all for sharing your stories as I have learned quite a bit from all of you.

I know that I need to be patient but today was rough for me. 

-Theresa 

Hi tjeresa. Im Lisa im two

Hi tjeresa. Im Lisa im two weeks post op from partial robotic nemprectomy . I feel like I am now right where you were when you wrote this. Im laying here sure hoping this gets better. My pain is different every day. Right now im having what feels like kidney spasms. Pain in the kidney that had the cancer. Did your situation get better. I feel so nervous. Idk why, maybe just what your body went through. I also have headaches. Any info you can give me is appreciated 

• gunswork
    gunswork Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2018 #64
    Pain after surgery

I had a partical nephrectomy of my right kidney over two years ago and still have pain mainly in the drain site just above my right hip on the outside. I work as a Mechanics Teacher and went back to work way to quick. I still am forced to take pain meds daily but the amount and strenght has decreased over time. I have never taken anything stronger than T3's which is 375 mg of tylenol and 30 mg of codine. Some days I can get by with just regular Tylenol if I am up and busy. But by the end of the day my drain site which is about belt level can be pretty sore. Kind of like an ache! It can radiate into my lower back too. I have used ice and heat and they help alot. Recently I have started using a personal Ultra-sound device and it helps alot. But I would suggest you talk to your doctor about this. I have dealt with chronic pain for over 20 years because of another issue and I can tell you being as active as possible is key to pain management. If you give in competely to your pain it will be more present and your recovery will suffer as will your quality of life. Pain can be your friend if you listen to it and manage it. If you have to take large amounts of narcotics to get through the day something is wrong. Being completely pain free is great but not if you have to live on narcotics. Having to take them once in awhile at the end of the day is pretty normal. Be careful as most doctors are clueless when it comes to managing pain. YOU have to learn to manage your own health care and demand help with being trained to manage your pain and do whatever physical activities are needed to speed up your recovery to normal activity. Learn to listen to your body and when you need rest TAKE IT!! Learn to use ice and heat to manage your pain. I have a site from a preavious surgery that is still numb after 20 years. But only once every few months does it give me pain and only when I do activities that I know I should not do. HANG IN THERE and get help!

• TeeBizzle
    TeeBizzle Member Posts: 17
    Leskew said:

Hi tjeresa. Im Lisa im two

Hi tjeresa. Im Lisa im two weeks post op from partial robotic nemprectomy . I feel like I am now right where you were when you wrote this. Im laying here sure hoping this gets better. My pain is different every day. Right now im having what feels like kidney spasms. Pain in the kidney that had the cancer. Did your situation get better. I feel so nervous. Idk why, maybe just what your body went through. I also have headaches. Any info you can give me is appreciated 

Almost at 4 weeks with

Almost at 4 weeks with regular(non robotic) partial and it does get better. the first 2 weeks I was pretty laid up, needed help standing sometimes. God help you if you start sneezing or hiccuping. If you're taking oxycodone pain meds they may be giving you headaches. My dr told me to walk and my wife harassed me to doing 1-2 miles daily when possible. helps a lot. when i started i used a cane for when i got tired and so jerks didn't run me down crossing streets slow. Now nowhere near 100% but walking is not an issue. pain is still there, but fading. Usually just a problem when i sleep. Hope this helps anyone with similar issues. Hope you're better now. 

• D.A.P.
    D.A.P. Member Posts: 1
    bulge

I I've had the bulge for almost 2 years now. I went to a surgeon and after looking at the results of a recent cat scan He told me that the problem was paralyzed muscle. The muscle on my right side is basically dead and unable to hold things together.  When I turn over in bed the bulge moves from my right side to my stomach. I wear a blinder at night now and it helps while sleeping. He said there was nothing that could correct it and I would be stuck with it. He said it was caused by a nicked nerve. I have been in pain every day and have difficulty  bending and driving. It is always in the way. A lot of numbness also.

• gmaw4
    gmaw4 Member Posts: 2 *

My surgery was 11/2/22 and I’m left with a large Bulge, pain, numbness and spasms. Did your health eventually improve? My surgery was also robotic - yet I have a 5” bulging, painful scar.