Chemo completed yesterday

I had my last round of chemo yesterday for the recurrence I had of my UPSC this year.  I originally had stage IVb and was treated for that in 2010 with surgery and 6 rounds of Carboplatin and Taxol.  This year's recurrence found the cancer had wrapped itself around the ascending colon and it was in the paracolic gutter and peritoneum. I had surgery and then started having Carboplatin paired with Gemzar.  I developed an allergic reaction to the Carboplatin the 11th time I had it, so last week and this week,  I got Cisplatin combined with the Gemzar in reduced amounts.  Yesterday's dose was 75% of normal.  Probably last week's was 80% of normal.  I needed my dose reduced more this week because my platelets were at 87,000, which could have caused extra bleeding if I were to injure myself.  I didn't feel like my other blood levels were normal, so I was surprised when I was able to have my chemo. I thought I was going to have a one week delay for it, which has happened a couple of times before.  I've been going through this since May, so I'm glad to be done.

Next week and the week after, I have more blood work and have to see my oncologist.  I have a PET scan on the 29th to review my progress.  The cancer was a third of its original size at my last scan on July 21, and my CA-125 was down to 7.9 in late July, so I'm definitely making progress.  I have an appointment on Oct. 16 with my GYN/onc., the one who did my surgery.  I expect I'll learn the results of my genomic testing then.  I hope I never have to go through all this again.  I probably could handle the chemo a third time, but the surgery is another story.  I was in the hospital 6 days both times.  The first time, I had my gallbladder and appendix removed (gallstones had been found), along with my uterus, both ovaries, omentum, and a littlel mass on my small intestine. This year, I had two resections of my intestines and a "replacement" of my abdominal wall with new mesh.  I have hopes that my surgery days are over. I've had several other smaller surgeries for other problems, but these were the worst. Thank God I'm through the worst of it now, and I pray that it doesn't ever come back.  

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Pinky, congrats on finishing

Pinky, congrats on finishing chemo again. I'll second your motion on never having to deal with this again! I pray that your scans show complete absence of cancer and you restart your dance with NED. Thanks so much for sharing your story and I hope you bring us good news when you get your results.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Cass83
    Cass83 Member Posts: 151 Member
    edited September 2017 #3
    I agree with Cindi

She said it well! Praying you do not have to deal with it again!

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    Congratulations

Pinky, that's great to be done with chemo. May you never need another surgery!

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Celebrate

You sure have been through a war Pinky! I hope you have plans to do something to celebrate soon!

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    edited September 2017 #6
    Yay Pinky!

So glad you are through all this once again- totally agree with you and everyone else- hope you never have to go through it again!!!  Keep us posted.  (((HUGS)))

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited September 2017 #7
    I hope this is the end of

I hope this is the end of your treatment and recurrence!!! You have been through so much. Keep us updated on your scans. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Pinky, DARLING!!!  SO good to

Pinky, DARLING!!!  SO good to hear from you.  I am sorry to hear all the problems and you continue to inspire.

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Pinky, you're a trooper.

Pinky, you're a trooper. Congratulations on getting through this round, and may your future NOT include any more surgeries! Best, B

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Congrats Pinky! Here’s to

Congrats Pinky! Here’s to prayers for a great scan!

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    So happy for you, Pinky!

So happy for you, Pinky! Hopefully this is the last time you will ever need to worry about this again. Good luck to you on your upcoming scan and appointment.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Great picture Kim!  :-)

Great picture Kim!  :-)

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Kvdyson said:

So happy for you, Pinky!

So happy for you, Pinky! Hopefully this is the last time you will ever need to worry about this again. Good luck to you on your upcoming scan and appointment.

New picture

looking good girl.  Lou Ann

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Thank you all

You all amaze me with all your positive comments.  I wasn't on here since I wrote and was surprised to see so many replies when I got on here tonight.  It's good to have all the support.

• Lake Survivor
    Lake Survivor Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. My Mom 75 yrs

Hi everyone. My Mom 75 yrs old was diagnosed with breast cancer 11 years ago and in 2017 MMMT stage 3c 1. We did the hysterectomy and all other tests. There is  nodular involvement of 4 of the 17 pelvic nodes harvested. She starts  6 rounds of chemo next tuesday (Carbo and Tax) and then radiation. we were told yesterday that there is a 5o percent chance of recurrence and if it comes back it will be incurable. This group has given me positivity despite the negativity. Thank you for that.  It was also reassuring to read the survivor stories. Stay Blessed and Thanks again!

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789

Hi everyone. My Mom 75 yrs

Hi everyone. My Mom 75 yrs old was diagnosed with breast cancer 11 years ago and in 2017 MMMT stage 3c 1. We did the hysterectomy and all other tests. There is  nodular involvement of 4 of the 17 pelvic nodes harvested. She starts  6 rounds of chemo next tuesday (Carbo and Tax) and then radiation. we were told yesterday that there is a 5o percent chance of recurrence and if it comes back it will be incurable. This group has given me positivity despite the negativity. Thank you for that.  It was also reassuring to read the survivor stories. Stay Blessed and Thanks again!

Sorry to hear about your Mom,

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Lake Survivor. Please do not pay attention to the statistics on the internet when it comes to MMMT. The people in those trials may have had other health issues or had been in worse shape, older age, etc. It is really true when we say that your Mom is a statistic of one. Focus on how she is doing and forget about the numbers that doctors throw around. As you know from reading the posts from this group, we beat the odds every day. There is no reason that your Mom should be any different. Good luck and keep us updated on how she (and you) are doing.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hey, Pinky

Do you hear music  in your head?  That's me playing Pomp and Circumstance for your graduation.  

• SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    edited September 2017 #18
    Congrats on getting through that Pinky!

Agree with Connie that getting through treatments feels like a huge milestone a lot like a kind of graduation! So happy to hear you're on the other side of it! Hope to hear soon that you're dancing with NED once again!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    SandyD

Glad to see you Sandy. Sorry to hear that you may be dealing with this crappy cancer yet again. Please come back and let us know if you go in for another scan and the results. (You posted that your primary just asked your oncologist if they wanted one ordered on another thread.) I hope it isn't anything! But, if it is I know you will fight it.  And, we will be right here to support you.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130

SandyD

Glad to see you Sandy. Sorry to hear that you may be dealing with this crappy cancer yet again. Please come back and let us know if you go in for another scan and the results. (You posted that your primary just asked your oncologist if they wanted one ordered on another thread.) I hope it isn't anything! But, if it is I know you will fight it.  And, we will be right here to support you.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Thank you Cindi

Concerned but hopeful. Will post when I know more. Hopefully just a false alarm.

• hopeful56
    hopeful56 Member Posts: 73
    Congratulations Pinky on

Congratulations Pinky on finishing another round of chemo.  I hope that .you get good news with all your upcoming tests.

Sandra