Recently Diagnosed with Uterine Cancer

124»

Comments

• Virgil90012
    Virgil90012 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Stage 1a Grade 2 Adenocarcinoma

Hi Staci,  I was reading your posts and thought I would chime in if only to provide you with hope.  I don't post often but I do frequently read the posts from the other wonderful ladies who have a great deal of experience and wonderful advice.  I was diagnosed in October 2014 after I woke up one morning with bleeding.  That was in early October and after my gynecologist did a biopsy and it was found to be cancer with well differentiated cells, she referred me to a Gyne-Oncologist who did my surgery on October 24.  My surgery was a robotic assisted hysterectomy with removal of all female parts.  The surgery took 5 hours but the recovery period was much faster than it would have been if I had a traditional hysterectomy.  I went home the following day after the surgery and I was back to work within three weeks.  The only restriction I had after surgery was no lifting of anything heavy for 6 weeks.  After the surgery, my staging results showed that my cancer was 1a Grade 2 (what they called the garden-variety of endometrial cancer) and my surgeon said that I needed no other treatment since it was caught early and it was not a high grade cancer.   I did ask my doctor why he did not think I needed further chemotherapy or radiation, especially since it was not a grade 1 cancer and he said that for my stage and grade of cancer, in his experience, additional treatment would only add about a 1-2% increase in survival (97%) and he would rather have the option of those treatments if the cancer ever recurred.  For the first two years, I had three-month visits where my new oncologist (the oncologist who did my surgery left the City of Hope and so I was given a new gyno-oncologist from the same office) conducted a pelvic exam and a CA125 test.  Every year, she also has me take a Chest X-ray to make sure that the cancer did not spread to the lungs.  For the third year, I have been seeing her every 6 months.   I am due to see her in October for my three-year exam and so far, knock on wood, I am still NED.  I still have anxieties of a recurrence but it gets easier to deal with as the months and years move on.  To be honest, the thought of recurrence pops into my mind less frequently but as it gets closer to my oncologist's visits, I get really anxious.  If all is well at my three-year exam, I will continue to see her for two more years every 6 months).    I am hoping that my story shows you that even if you are bleeding, it does not mean that your cancer is at a higher stage.  I know that others have provided the following advice but it is true - "take one day at a time".   This journey is a long process but it is doable.  

Wishing you all the best,

Cathy

• StaciLynn
    StaciLynn Member Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2017 #63

Thinking about you

Today was your appointment, if i  remember correctly.  How did it go for you?

Barb

Hi Barb.  I didn't check the

Hi Barb.  I didn't check the boards until now, but yes I had my appointment with the GYN/oncologist on Friday and am now scheduled to have surgery on September 25th.  The surgery is scheduled to be done laparoscopicall, h I was told if it was attempted and there were any problems, they would have to proceed abdominally.  Prior to the surgery, I am going to have some pretesting done, including a contrast MRI of my abdominal and pelvic regions.  I had an MRI of my brain years ago, but never had one with contrast, but thstceill give the doctor clearer pictures.  I think the reason he is having me do the MRI is because I have had rib pain indifferent areas, but that has been going on for years and he doesn't believe it is related to my cancer, but still would like to check these areas before the surgery.  I am terrified of everything that I am about to face to the point where my colitis is now acting up and I am taking medication to try to help me with that.  The surgery part is scary enough, but then to have to wait to know whether the cancer is contained or not is something I can't even put into words to describe how I am feeling.  Everyone who knows what is going on with me tells me I will be fine, but nobody can guarantee that. In a way, I am almost more nervous now than when I first got my diagnosi, which I know makes no sense.  Maybe I will get lucky and everything will be fine, but I certainly was not lucky to get cancer in the first place since while uterine cancer is not an uncommon cance, I just don't think most people who are having medical problems end up being told they have cancer.

Thanks for asking how things went.  I will be in touch and keep everyone informed as things move along.

Staci

• StaciLynn said:

Hi Barb.  I didn't check the boards until now, but yes I had my appointment with the GYN/oncologist on Friday and am now scheduled to have surgery on September 25th.  The surgery is scheduled to be done laparoscopicall, h I was told if it was attempted and there were any problems, they would have to proceed abdominally.  Prior to the surgery, I am going to have some pretesting done, including a contrast MRI of my abdominal and pelvic regions.  I had an MRI of my brain years ago, but never had one with contrast, but thstceill give the doctor clearer pictures.  I think the reason he is having me do the MRI is because I have had rib pain indifferent areas, but that has been going on for years and he doesn't believe it is related to my cancer, but still would like to check these areas before the surgery.  I am terrified of everything that I am about to face to the point where my colitis is now acting up and I am taking medication to try to help me with that.  The surgery part is scary enough, but then to have to wait to know whether the cancer is contained or not is something I can't even put into words to describe how I am feeling.  Everyone who knows what is going on with me tells me I will be fine, but nobody can guarantee that. In a way, I am almost more nervous now than when I first got my diagnosi, which I know makes no sense.  Maybe I will get lucky and everything will be fine, but I certainly was not lucky to get cancer in the first place since while uterine cancer is not an uncommon cance, I just don't think most people who are having medical problems end up being told they have cancer.

Thanks for asking how things went.  I will be in touch and keep everyone informed as things move along.

Staci

You don't have to put it in words

I know just how you are feeling.  I would just sit and cry.  I had contrast Ct done, chest x-ray, blood tests.  Can't even remember everything - just got herded along  - did what I was told and prayed.   Many of us take medications to calm the nerves, you can ask about that, if it is something you think might help you.   Thanks for the update, I have been thinking of you.

Barb

• StaciLynn
    StaciLynn Member Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2017 #65
    Hi Cathy.  I read your letter

Hi Cathy.  I read your letter late last night, wrote a detailed response, but something went wrong and the letter was lost.  I am going to rewrite it now in a private letter this time and will get it out to you shortly.

• DottieDean
    DottieDean Member Posts: 36
    StaciLynn said:

Very Worried

Hi.  I recently joined this forum and introduced myself, but here it is almost 5 in the morning and I am having a bad panic attack.  I was recently told I had uterine cancer and while I had no symptoms, I had a thick endometrial lining which led to a D&C and my cancer was discovered.  i am scheduled to see a GYN/Oncologist this Friday and knew I was going to need a hysterectomy, however the pathology report from my D&C indicated my cancer was found at an early stage.  I had no bleeding which was a positive sign that this was caught early, but that all changed tonight.  By the way, prior to my D&C I was getting a clear discharge that I didn't think much of at the time, but after the procedure the discharge went away.  Tonight I felt the discharge was back and when I checked the toilet paper as I always do, I saw the discharge was no longer clear but had a light brown tint to it and I realized that means I am now bleeding.  I am totally and completely freaking out because prior to this I felt it was a very good sign that I had no bleeding.  I have had burning prior to my D&C and afterwards it got a lot worse, but I assumed the procedure caused that and thought it would just go away, but that never happened.  Tonight is the first night I ever saw a color to my discharge except when I bled a few days after my D&C.  My anxiety level is through the roof now and I don't know if I should call my GYN on Monday or just wait until I see the GYN/oncologist on Friday.  I don't know if the bleeding is related to the cancer, which I am guessing it is, but it also burns, so it could be an infection.  I am totally beside myself and don't know what to do now but I know I can't sleep since I don't know if this is an infection or the cancer is worse than originally thought based on the D&C pathology report.  I have already been through menopause but feel like I do when I used to begin my periid years ago, but I know it can't be that.

The bleeding was caused by

The bleeding was caused by the procedure.  It will probably lessen as time goes on.  I know how you feel - sometimes I feel I'm in an alternate universe.  My doctor prescribed Xanex.  It really helps a lot.

• DottieDean
    StaciLynn said:

Very Worried

Hi.  I recently joined this forum and introduced myself, but here it is almost 5 in the morning and I am having a bad panic attack.  I was recently told I had uterine cancer and while I had no symptoms, I had a thick endometrial lining which led to a D&C and my cancer was discovered.  i am scheduled to see a GYN/Oncologist this Friday and knew I was going to need a hysterectomy, however the pathology report from my D&C indicated my cancer was found at an early stage.  I had no bleeding which was a positive sign that this was caught early, but that all changed tonight.  By the way, prior to my D&C I was getting a clear discharge that I didn't think much of at the time, but after the procedure the discharge went away.  Tonight I felt the discharge was back and when I checked the toilet paper as I always do, I saw the discharge was no longer clear but had a light brown tint to it and I realized that means I am now bleeding.  I am totally and completely freaking out because prior to this I felt it was a very good sign that I had no bleeding.  I have had burning prior to my D&C and afterwards it got a lot worse, but I assumed the procedure caused that and thought it would just go away, but that never happened.  Tonight is the first night I ever saw a color to my discharge except when I bled a few days after my D&C.  My anxiety level is through the roof now and I don't know if I should call my GYN on Monday or just wait until I see the GYN/oncologist on Friday.  I don't know if the bleeding is related to the cancer, which I am guessing it is, but it also burns, so it could be an infection.  I am totally beside myself and don't know what to do now but I know I can't sleep since I don't know if this is an infection or the cancer is worse than originally thought based on the D&C pathology report.  I have already been through menopause but feel like I do when I used to begin my periid years ago, but I know it can't be that.

The bleeding was caused by

The bleeding was caused by the procedure.  It will probably lessen as time goes on.  I know how you feel - sometimes I feel I'm in an alternate universe.  My doctor prescribed Xanex.  It really helps a lot.

• DottieDean
    StaciLynn said:

Staci

I too, am having a MRI as

I too, am having a MRI as well as a colonoscopy before my surgery.  You always wonder whether there is something there, especially as there was only bleeding as symptom of the cancer.  We have to have faith that if there is something else, chemo will take care of it.  I share your fears - you are not alone.