depression after treatment completed

Options
Shinny
Shinny Member Posts: 1

I was diagnosed in June 2017 with Stage 1 breast cancer.  I had a lumpectomy and radiation and completed treatments August 4th.  I felt like I handled it all pretty well but since the completion of treatments I have fallen off the cliff.  The outlook for my survival is excellent according to my doctors.  But for some reason I am extremely emotional - crying almost every day, some anxiety with no explanation...I had read that this might happen during treatment, etc but I did not expect it after everything was "over".  I am wondering if I need to just "hang in there" and hope it will get better in a few months or try and find a doctor or support group???  I really don't know what to do.  I don't want to jump on a bandwagon of taking medication unless it is absolutely necessary. I am already on a small dose of antidepressant and don't want to up it unless I have to. I am so confused.  Has anyone else ever experienced this AFTER everything was supposed to be getting better?

Comments

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Shinny

Hello Shinny, I just recently completed my Radiation treatments in June 2017 (left breast, still have breast expander and will have implant in about 5 months or so after my body recovers from the Radiation. I still take  anti-horomone pills and keep my 3 months check up to my medical Ocon.

YES I SOMETIMES FEEL WORRIED ABOUT WHAT IF ETC. BUT THEN I THANK GOD EVERYDAY FOR SHOWING ME AND GIVING ME THE MIND TO DEMAND ADDITIONAL TESTING ON MY BREAST OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE BEEN WAITING ANOTHER YEAR!

SHINNY ..CHANGE YOUR FOCUS BOO!!!! GIVE BACK ..PAY IT FORWARD..GET INVOLVED... SPREAD THE WORD..SHOUT TO HILLS !!' I AM BLESSED!!! THIS IS A GOOD THING JUST TALKING ABOUT IT ON THIS SITE...VOLUNTEER FOR SOME COMMUNITY EVENTS..DANCE DO SOMETHING THAT POSITIVE TO KEEP FOCUS ON SOMETHING GREAT! i HAVE BEEN SIGNING UP FOR VOLUNTEER WITH LOOK GOOD FEEL BETTER THRU AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY WHERE HELP MAKEUP AFTER CHEMO TREATMENTS RIGHT ON THE SPOT ..FOCUS ON FAMILY FRIENDS AND HELPING OTHERS.....SHINNY YOU WILL BE FINE..FOCUS ON SOMETHING POSITIVE....AND GET BUSY LIVING GIRL..THINGS COULD BE A LOT WORSE!!!

ALSO SPEAK TO A PROFESSIONAL ..TALKING IT OUT ALWAYS HELPS..

BEEPOSITIVESmile

• Elaine_wi
    Elaine_wi Member Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Me Too

I am almost done with my radiation treatments and have also been having strange emotions. I think the reasons are complex. Maybe it has something to do with all the great support I've gotten since my diagnosis. I know the realtionships I've built will still be there but maybe I'm afraid they will diminish.

I definately want to do volunteer work with other cancer patients. Some programs require you to be one year post treatment but I think I can still find something. 

I'm going to start seeing a counselor again. I don't want to fall into a depression.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Skinny

Your feelings are normal.  We all go through ups and downs with this no matter where we are in it.   Be kinder to yourself.  Try to find laughter in every part of your day.  Keep your checkups because the care adn aftercare is very important.  Keep talking to us on here.  We understand.

Hugs,

Annie

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

I remember the morning after my last radiation treatment - I have nothing to do today!!!!!  As we were engaged in active treatment, we felt as though we were doing everything to fight.  As we recovered, we became filled with more questions, and no longer felt that we were doing our part.

now is the time of recovering.  You will not feel the same way ever again, but you have a renewed strength and vision.  Focus on what you want to accomplish.

i know each time I go to an appointment now, I feel I am not heard, like my symptoms are not important now that I have a great prognosis.  Just keep being vigilant in recording issues, and by all means, keep verbalizing your feelings and concerns to your team.

Congratulations to you for your success - may you continue to be an inspiration to others!

Kathy

• Beepositive
    Options
    yes you will feel ups and downs

I was really stressed up until i got my first 3D mamo of my other breast(LAST WEEK),,,results were fine!  but it really stressed me out until I got the results that next day by calling my doctor to check on it.

I just dont let it consume me...always try to keep positive thoughts and live my best life..and "NEW NORMAL" AND keep busy working and being around family.

BEEPOSITIVE     yOU ARE gREAT SHINNY!

• Beepositive
    Options

Ring that Bell proudly Girl and celebrate you accomplishment!! yeah we all sometimes have to dig deep .thats great you are seeing your counselor!

its hard sometimes..but just believe and keep busy and continue to ::::BEEPOSITIVE...HUGS HUGS

• Elaine_wi
    Elaine_wi Member Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Ring that Bell proudly Girl and celebrate you accomplishment!! yeah we all sometimes have to dig deep .thats great you are seeing your counselor!

its hard sometimes..but just believe and keep busy and continue to ::::BEEPOSITIVE...HUGS HUGS

Thank you

Thank you for your encouragement!

• jgodesiabois
    jgodesiabois Member Posts: 2
    Options
    stage 4 breast cancer.

I have stage4 Breast Cancer, and am taking Ibrance & Letrazole.  I am so emotional, does anyone take an anti depression pill?

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    edited September 2017 #10
    Options
    Shinny

Are you taking an AI or Amoxifen? If so, the emotional ups and downs could be caused by hormonal changes. Just a thought.  

Post traumatic stress is real and it is experienced after a crisis is over.  When there is a crisis, like cancer, our body gets into fight or flight mode and out body chemistry adjusts to deal with the stress.  After the cirisis is over,  the adrenaline drops again and we are able to deal with the emotions of what we just went through. 

I know some people like support groups, but I do not. When I had cancer the last time, I joined one for women. One by one, I watched people get sick again and some died. It put me in a state of hypervigilance and grief. It did not work for me. I would say give it a few weeks and maybe a counselor or social worker who is familiar with the issues that cancer brings.

Hang in there!

• booksandnumbers
    Options
    Depression

Hi there! After I was done with all treatment I thought I would be over the moon. Not so. Once I started taking arimidex, I became more and more depressed, crying ALL the time. I finally sought help and I'm now taking lexapro and abilify. FYI, Lexapro also reduces the hot flashes. Please don't wait too long asking for help. It's much more common than you think. Good luck.