DIEP with excessive abdomen swelling

Lizziesem
Lizziesem Member Posts: 3

Hi;

i had a DIEP procedure 6 months ago.  Of the surgeries I've had so far, tha was the worst.  My plastic surgeon said that I didn't need to wear any type of binders.  I'm healing well but my lower abdomen is very swollen.  I can't wear anything that I could wear before the surgery.  I went to my original PS and then a new one and they are very vague.  I look about 5 months pregnant.  They said it is fat even on my pelvic bone.  I am upset that I went through all of this and now I'm fatter than I was!   Has anyone else gone through this and figured out how to deal with the swelling in your lower abdomen?

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited August 2017 #2
    I look 9 mo preg.

Throughout this whole mess, my stomach has swollen and tight.  I bloat.  I think some of it is the meds they give us also messes with our weight.   I am having a rough time of it. 

My doc told me to go on a high fat diest, no carb, lots of veggies that grow above ground only.   (sounds likea modifed atkins)   No carbonated drinks or anything else but just water.  Warm water in the morning instead of coffee or tea.  May give you a headache for the first week due to no caffine.    So I drink tons of water.   and I eat alot of watermelon.  

Soft, slow walking around the block everyday to build up your strength and keep you tone. 

Be good to your self.

Hugs,

Annie

• Lizziesem
    Lizziesem Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2017 #3
    Apaugh said:

I look 9 mo preg.

Throughout this whole mess, my stomach has swollen and tight.  I bloat.  I think some of it is the meds they give us also messes with our weight.   I am having a rough time of it. 

My doc told me to go on a high fat diest, no carb, lots of veggies that grow above ground only.   (sounds likea modifed atkins)   No carbonated drinks or anything else but just water.  Warm water in the morning instead of coffee or tea.  May give you a headache for the first week due to no caffine.    So I drink tons of water.   and I eat alot of watermelon.  

Soft, slow walking around the block everyday to build up your strength and keep you tone. 

Be good to your self.

Hugs,

Annie

Hi Annie;

Hi Annie;

Thank you for responding.   That diet sounds extreme to the level of unhealthy.   Did you have a DIEP surgery to create a breast or is your swelling from other causes like you mentioned?  If you have, what did your doctor say it is and what causes it?   I can't seem to get answers.   

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    edited August 2017 #4
    I sympathize

I had a tramflap about 14 yrs ago which is the same except it uses muscle tissue also.  I wound up with an Italian sausage across my lower abdomen. In fact one doc unrelated to the case thought it was a hernia!  Anyway, it did shrink from it's original size over time but 3 months preggers is about right.

What it is in my case, is a combo of these things. The flap surgery coiled my colon when putting things back together.  I have since gotten old lady condition of diverticulosis which are pockets or parking lots for poop on its way out. Sooo the part of the colon that goes across lower abdomen is also part of the diverticulosis and can store way too much poopoo so you have to keep things moving.  Over the years I had tried everything but a great internist saved my sanity that all I have to do is take psyllium everyday which is a pure form of Metamucil which I use now.  I eat whatever I want and weight is fine. Up or down like a normal ( ! ) person.

I don't know how much of this relates to you, but maybe some of the info may help I hope.  Take care

• Apaugh
    Lizziesem said:

Hi Annie;

Hi Annie;

Thank you for responding.   That diet sounds extreme to the level of unhealthy.   Did you have a DIEP surgery to create a breast or is your swelling from other causes like you mentioned?  If you have, what did your doctor say it is and what causes it?   I can't seem to get answers.   

dont know, meds they tell me

My meds make me fat.  I had no reconstruction. 

• Apaugh
    Psyllium

Where do you get this med at?

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Psyllium original post diappeared!

Psyllium is a non-soluble natural pure fiber. Metamucil is the closest to it and easier to find. The granules are smaller too so easier to take. Have to go to internet for the totally pure psyllium and the slightly larger granules makes drinking it more difficult.  All the ways are icky if not difficult.  Don't be tempted by the capsules though.  Highest potassium content of all of thgem and dosage instructions are so wonky I almost wound up in the hospital. You also have to take the capsules after every time you eat and often I do not eat more than once a day. I started them cause they were easier for traveling which I had to do at the time.

Regardless of dosage instructions,  I take 3 tsps a day late afternoon or early evening. I also use the most minimum water to get it down and drink the balance of required 8oz using plain water. This works for me.

• Apaugh
    tufi000 said:

Psyllium original post diappeared!

Psyllium is a non-soluble natural pure fiber. Metamucil is the closest to it and easier to find. The granules are smaller too so easier to take. Have to go to internet for the totally pure psyllium and the slightly larger granules makes drinking it more difficult.  All the ways are icky if not difficult.  Don't be tempted by the capsules though.  Highest potassium content of all of thgem and dosage instructions are so wonky I almost wound up in the hospital. You also have to take the capsules after every time you eat and often I do not eat more than once a day. I started them cause they were easier for traveling which I had to do at the time.

Regardless of dosage instructions,  I take 3 tsps a day late afternoon or early evening. I also use the most minimum water to get it down and drink the balance of required 8oz using plain water. This works for me.

appriciate

Thank you, I appricate the information.