Active Surveillance continues

hopeful and optimistic
hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
edited August 2017 in Prostate Cancer #1

Diagnosed 3/2009

Medical history on about me page...click my name to the left.

8/17 has PSA 5.7: Free PSA 18 and targeted biopsy.....two cores positive, both 3+3=6....I requested the pathology sent to me, so I am not sure of the number of targeted cores taken.

This was part of a fusion biopsy, based on an MRI taken last year, when a Gleason 3+4=7 was found (5% pattern 4) occuping 30% of biopsy tissuue....with a fusion biopsy using a three dimension biopsy machine, there is an ability to return to the exact spot of last years area under investigation (the 3+4) , so area around the 3+4 was targeted, and no 4's were now found.

There was a mix up at the hospital so I had to wait a few extra days for the results, To be honest, I was stressed during this weekend while I waited the extra time for the results .........to say the least I am thankful and stoked.......and will be celebrating........join be, come to CA.

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    edited August 2017 #2
    Good news

Good news but not without a laugh on your feelings. AS is always for those with the guts and you got them. Let's celebrate your continuing affair with the unwanted guest. How about a Ukulele party?

You may be interesting in knowing that Portugal as some to do with the UKulele in the USA. Here is how it got into Hawaii;

http://huimusic.com/ukulele-history/

Best wishes for another year free of risks and treatment side effects.

VG

• hopeful and optimistic

I've seen pictures of the Braguinha, but never saw one up close and personal......by the way, ukulele means "jumping flea' in Hawaiian. When the  Portuguese arrived, they played the Braguinha; the Hawaiians thought that their fingers moved like jumping fleas.....some minor changes were made.......the rest is history.

I think that it will probably be two years before the next biopsy.

Guts.........to be honest, I don't have the guts to face an active treatment; that's why I do active surveilance.( I'm a wimp)...I get a little nervous when I wait for the results of my biopsies, but otherwise I go on with my life.    .....at any rate, I think AS is the smart way to go.......I encourage anyone who is eligible, to pursue this treatment choice, and find the best facility and medical staff to manage the case.....(as any active treatment)

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member

I've seen pictures of the Braguinha, but never saw one up close and personal......by the way, ukulele means "jumping flea' in Hawaiian. When the  Portuguese arrived, they played the Braguinha; the Hawaiians thought that their fingers moved like jumping fleas.....some minor changes were made.......the rest is history.

Guts.........to be honest, I don't have the guts to face an active treatment; that's why I do active surveilance.( I'm a wimp)...I get a little nervous when I wait for the results of my biopsies, but otherwise I go on with my life.    .....at any rate, I think AS is the smart way to go.......I encourage anyone who is eligible, to pursue this treatment choice, and find the best facility and medical staff to manage the case.....(as any active treatment)

Pillar

Delighted with your results, h&o.

Thank you for being the "A/S Pillar" here for many years, informing men of why for many it is a cogent option.

As you know, I have had a close friend on A/S for about 10 years now, and his PSA has actually gone down the last two years; he is about 77 now.

Your statement about cowardice is a bit humorous.  As Clint Eastwood used to say in his tough guy movies, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

max

• hopeful and optimistic
    Hi Max

Thanks for tbe feedback......Clint Eastwood is the man of the century.

I remember right you friend  is now using the Artemis machine as I am, probably a similar  protocol . It would be great if he would post here.

Max, take care of yourself.....thanks for all your posts

• Grinder
    Grinder Member Posts: 487 Member
    edited August 2017 #6
    Clint

Favorite Clint Eastwood line: "Don't pi$$ on my back and tell me it's rainin' ".

Innocent

• SubDenis
    SubDenis Member Posts: 130
    edited August 2017 #7
    I am in the midst of decision

I am in the midst of decision making.  The second opinion on pathology showed a very small amount of 3+4, less than 5%.  We ordered decipher test to get more probability info.  I am leaning into AS at least for a year to see what the second biopsy tells me.  I get the fear of surgery and SEs!  My Uro at Yale-Smilow seems to think with confidence that I am the good candidate for AS.  The bottom line is one of trust for me.  He is the expert IMHO, certainly more knowledgeable than me.  We will see what happens after Decipher. I wish you well. Denis

• hopeful and optimistic
    protocol

I wonder, did your doc discuss providing you  a fusion biopsy?

Is there an overall program  protocol   for Active Surveillance  at Yale, or does the protocol vary by doctor treating at Yale?

• SubDenis
    SubDenis Member Posts: 130

protocol

I wonder, did your doc discuss providing you  a fusion biopsy?

Is there an overall program  protocol   for Active Surveillance  at Yale, or does the protocol vary by doctor treating at Yale?

Yes he did, the FB identified

Yes he did, the FB identified a lesion, so they targeted that and did the normal random 12 cores also.  The lesion had G6 in a very small amount 5%.  I am not sure about protocol but think they are all aligned.  Periodic PSA, multi parametric MRI 6-12 months and biopsy around 1 year.  We discussed getting a clear picture of the current state to monitor the disease.  Alos they seem to favor Decipher to get a probability of disease progression.  I am very happy with my doc and their approach. Denis

• hopeful and optimistic
    Good luck with the  decipher

Good luck with the  decipher test of the tissue sample to determine aggressiveness 

https://genomedx.com/decipher-test/decipher-prostate-cancer-test/

These genomic tests are evolving........there are about a half dozen of these tests out there now, and there will be more in the near future

PS Sugest that you obtain a second opinion on the pathology from your biopsy from a world class expert( there are few which I can list if you so desire), since determining aggresiveness(gleason) is subjective, and there is a difference between the skills of pathologists

• mcin777
    mcin777 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2017 #11
    So thankful for the good

So thankful for the good results Hopeful!.  I get my results today or tomorrow and to say the least I am stressed.  Before the Biopsy last week the Dr said the two lesions were about the size of a sugar cube.  

• hopeful and optimistic
    mcin777 said:

So thankful for the good

So thankful for the good results Hopeful!.  I get my results today or tomorrow and to say the least I am stressed.  Before the Biopsy last week the Dr said the two lesions were about the size of a sugar cube.  

My lesions are also large

My doc told me that there is not a direct correlation to size.

Thanks for the well wishes

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,284 Member
    edited August 2017 #13
    Great news

And thanks for your valuable contributions to this Discussion Board 

• hopeful and optimistic
    Thanks Old Salt

Your posts are alway right on.........thanks.

• mcin777
    mcin777 Member Posts: 66

Hopeful,

Hopeful,

I am a lot like you in that I too feel wimpy about getting any type of treatment but I sense that I will do something sooner than laater with the results of my biopsy.  I just do not have a clue as to what to do.  Both cores are 3+3 but one core is 75% full of cancer and the other 25% full.  You can see the full biopsy report on my page.  I go about my days somewhat oblivious to the cancer in my prostate but now it is always on my mind.  I do not believe that I qualfy anymore for focal ablation therapy but I will get more opinions.  My hunch is that my insurance will make my options for treatment fairly small.  My biggest concern is that NO cancer leave my prostate before I settle in on a treatment modality.  I am glad that for the past five years I chose AS but it seems to me that that option is not the right one for me anymore.  I will appreciate hearing your response after reading my biopsy report.

Jim

• CC52
    CC52 Member Posts: 105 Member
    Fantastic news hopeful.

Fantastic news hopeful. Thanks so much for your work on this board! SmileSmile