Can Chemo/radiation eradicate tumor?

2»

Comments

• mozart13
    mozart13 Member Posts: 118
    Something to consider

you are the begining of journey, so you have time and room to look into other posibillities, talk to your oncologist, surgeon.

There is study that involves people that had surgery. Normally people that have chemo/rad will have pathological complete clinical response, pCR of 18%, but when given 6 rounds of folfox after chemo/rad, before surgery that percentage went up to 38%, which is great response to treatment, and it is much easier to handle folfox before than after the surgery, 60% only manage to finish chemo after the surgery, side effects are much tougher than initial chemo/rad.

Here is the link, page 92 to 94:

http://oncologypro.esmo.org/content/download/95981/1717274/file/E-Learning-Perioperative-Treatment-of-Locally-Advanced-Rectal-Cancer.pdf

• Bradnjerzee
    Bradnjerzee Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2017 #23
    Dweedle said:

Yes! The answer to a cure for rectal cancer without surgery is true.  At least for me it is.  I to was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer in November 2016.  I was shocked although I knew something wasn't right.  I was very constipated and gassy. I relocated from Florida to  Connecticut for treatment at Sloan Kettering in New York.  What a blessing it has been.  Met with surgeon and oncologist on 12/14.  Started cemo 12/23 (Merry Christmas) with a port installed in the AM and cemo that afternoon.  Cemo was Flofox for 8 round.  Finished 4/7 and started radiation a week later for 25 days.  Radiation was a real B---h.  Terrible burns  and had to skip some days that were added on at the end.  Some how I  survived it although they said my burns were some of the worsed they had seen.  I saw my surgeon on 7/10.  Tumor is gone!!!!!  Of course I will be check every 4 months but that's a very small price to pay. I can't praise Sloan Kettering enough.  Wonderful, wonderful people.  From receptionist to surgeon and everyone in between was great.  I feel I got the best care possible and of course highly recommend it for anyone with cancer.  They are doing a study on non-surgical procedures for rectal cancer that you can read about on their site or goggle it. God bless anyone with this cancer but there is hope.

Hey Dweedle, Im also at sloan

Hey Dweedle, Im also at sloan, my Dr. is Dr. Garcia Aguilar,who was yours?   I just signed up for that non-surgical study, they prefer to try to erdicate tumor versus surgery.  Obviously it worked for you.  How long were you at Sloan before going home?

I know every person responds diffrently to treatment, glad to hear it worked for you, im hoping for the same. Luckily, Sloan has an office in NJ 15 min from house & NYC is 60 min, so im lucky.  I agree with you, the staff is amazing, quick to respond and very nice

• Bradnjerzee
    Bradnjerzee Member Posts: 17
    Dweedle said:

Yes! The answer to a cure for rectal cancer without surgery is true.  At least for me it is.  I to was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer in November 2016.  I was shocked although I knew something wasn't right.  I was very constipated and gassy. I relocated from Florida to  Connecticut for treatment at Sloan Kettering in New York.  What a blessing it has been.  Met with surgeon and oncologist on 12/14.  Started cemo 12/23 (Merry Christmas) with a port installed in the AM and cemo that afternoon.  Cemo was Flofox for 8 round.  Finished 4/7 and started radiation a week later for 25 days.  Radiation was a real B---h.  Terrible burns  and had to skip some days that were added on at the end.  Some how I  survived it although they said my burns were some of the worsed they had seen.  I saw my surgeon on 7/10.  Tumor is gone!!!!!  Of course I will be check every 4 months but that's a very small price to pay. I can't praise Sloan Kettering enough.  Wonderful, wonderful people.  From receptionist to surgeon and everyone in between was great.  I feel I got the best care possible and of course highly recommend it for anyone with cancer.  They are doing a study on non-surgical procedures for rectal cancer that you can read about on their site or goggle it. God bless anyone with this cancer but there is hope.

chemo side effects

I forgot to ask, who did you do with the chemo? side effects?