Managing Loved Ones

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. So first, thank you for welcoming me.

I am the caregiver for my 35-yo wife who was diagnosed with Stage II rectal cancer. She began treatment with chemo and radiation, prior to surgery. We are both very positive, and know it will be tough, but we are positive we’ll win this battle.

My problem may seem funny, but it stresses me out so much. My problem is that my wife is too popular.  She has 20 “BFF’s” (Best Friends Forever). Their support is amazing, but at times it is overwhelming. They don’t want to “bother” her, so they text me a million times a day to see how she is feeling, or to ask when her next appointment is. We are very open and want to share this information with our friends, but managing her popularity stresses me out.  Also, her family is all 300 miles away, so I am the point-person for all of their calls.  It would be amazing if we could just share her treatment plan with our loved ones. How have people managed keeping their friends and family informed of how they are feeling and when their next appointment/chemo/radiation/scan (pretty much her treatment plan) is? I want her Great Aunt in Chicago and best friend in NYC to know she’s feeling fine (probably not, but that’s what I’m going to say) and let her know my wife’s treatment schedule so they stop stressing me out.

Comments

• NHMike
    NHMike Member Posts: 213 Member
    edited August 2017 #2
    I've been fairly private in

I've been fairly private in who I've told as there are some things that I don't want to deal with at this time.

There are websites around where you can post updates and others can check in to see what's happening with treatment progress. I've run across them while searching for general cancer stuff.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Email list

In the start, I composed a single, multi-purpose email (or for the hipper generation, text) that I sent to all concerned.  Then I set a timeline for updates (when surgery is complete, when I get out of the hospital, when I complete chemo) with longer time spans in between.  After a while, either people are respecting time and privacy more, or their curiosity has decreased.  This strategy has worked well for me.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    I would opt for Facebook

Just let folks know that you will post updates to FB. I know not everyone has it, I didn't until I was diagnosed, and then I hated it. I actually hated it so much I deleted my account, and then those who didn't live close thought I had died, and that caused an uproar, so I had to start another one. 

Anyway, that would be my advice.  Sandia has good advice as well. One email to all concerned. 

And as a side note. I HATED that people would ask my husband how I was, when I was sat, lonely, all day by the phone. How I wanted to have a little chat with people when I was feeling bad, it helped take my mind off things. 

Tru

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    I use a private CaringBridge blog

You can set up a CaringBridge blog for her, and limit who can see it to a select group.  While they encourage you to make it open to anyone who has a CaringBridge account, an individual can set up a blog by invitation only, which is what I did.  If people want to see my blog, they need to send me a request, and I have to add their email.  This way, I kept it for just friends and relatives with whom I wanted to share info.  That has worked very well for me.  People are notified (if they choose) any time you add a new entry in the blog, and it can be set up so that either you or your wife can create entries.  Visitors may make comments.

Alice

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited August 2017 #6
    Welcome, I'm glad to hear

Welcome, I'm glad to hear that they're doing surgery and chemo and radiation. Sometimes I don't think they take stage two seriously enough. Best of luck with her treatments! 

I agree with all the advice given. For me, I just text my close freinds and everyone else, as in acquaintances, gets the occasional update on Facebook. If I had a bunch of family and friends that were doing that I would also make a group text as Sandia Buddy siggested, and first tell everyone exactly what you said- that the concern is appreciated but the texts and responding is becoming overwhelming and you cannot keep up- and then send mass texts from then on. And I'd ignore most other texts or messages. Maybe mention that its disruptive to your and her sleep or that many come when you're unable to respond anyway or that your focus needs to be on her.

There will be someone mad at you or who feels like they should get private messages anyway or whatever because you can't please everyone but know that this is your time to care for your wife, not everyone else. If someone chooses to make an issue it's their problem, not yours. People can be real wankers when they're stressed and worried. Remind them that when you know, they'll know. At this time you are your wife's advocate and caregiver, don't let anyone interfere in that if they're going to be difficult. I'm sure most are well meaning but there will always be one...

Good luck and all the best!

Jan

• JanJan63
    edited August 2017 #7
    abrub said:

I use a private CaringBridge blog

You can set up a CaringBridge blog for her, and limit who can see it to a select group.  While they encourage you to make it open to anyone who has a CaringBridge account, an individual can set up a blog by invitation only, which is what I did.  If people want to see my blog, they need to send me a request, and I have to add their email.  This way, I kept it for just friends and relatives with whom I wanted to share info.  That has worked very well for me.  People are notified (if they choose) any time you add a new entry in the blog, and it can be set up so that either you or your wife can create entries.  Visitors may make comments.

Alice

Alice, I adore that little

Alice, I adore that little bird picture! I just had to mention that!

Jan

• darcher
    darcher Member Posts: 304 Member
    Create a special facebook

Create a special facebook page and post on there.  As Trubrit said, remind these BBF that they can talk to her directly too, assuming your wife wants to hear from them or better yet, come and visit.  Having cancer can get very lonley.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    CaringBridge

Caringbridge.org you can sign up for and let people know how everything is going.  This was available for me 8 years ago and I'd post exactly what happened with the office visits, my treatment, and what you just want them to know.  Please go to that site and have her friends go on there and post their concerns and questions.  If you or your wife don't feeling like anwering questions then they should be aware that this site is "her site" and what she chooses to answer or not is up to her (or you).  My family was always kept up because of what was logged in my me.  Stop the constant communication with her friends.  Good luck

Kim

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2017 #10
    Welcome

I'm quite lucky that my close friends aren't really as curious on the specifics (like the sked).  They just ask me general questions, like how have I been or how is chemo so far? And they don't ask everytime.  They just do it occasionally, like, once every two weeks.  That's all.  Maybe because they've got their own lives also and yeah, I've always been private.  I don't have FB.  I don't share every single thing that happens to me.  As to immediate family, well, we live beside each other so its just easy to ask how are things.  Relatives also just ask general questions.  

If I were in your shoes I'd just send a group text, or a facebook page and tell everyone (politely) that you'll keep the page updated for new info.

• SophDan2
    SophDan2 Member Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2017 #11
    Set up group text

Set up a group text to let them all know at once; pick her best/closest friend to be the contact person for the other 19. his is not a stress you should be dealing with, delegate! Do the same with the family; I am one 8 kids (72 to 56) many nephews, nieces, extend family, in-laws (get the picture). I et up a group text family and one for friends. They all know that if I want to talk about it, I'll contact them directly, otherwise they do not use the group text to reply (as per my request).

Good luck and don't stress out!

• JanJan63
    SophDan2 said:

Set up group text

Set up a group text to let them all know at once; pick her best/closest friend to be the contact person for the other 19. his is not a stress you should be dealing with, delegate! Do the same with the family; I am one 8 kids (72 to 56) many nephews, nieces, extend family, in-laws (get the picture). I et up a group text family and one for friends. They all know that if I want to talk about it, I'll contact them directly, otherwise they do not use the group text to reply (as per my request).

Good luck and don't stress out!

That's a great idea!

That's a great idea! Designate a spokesperson. I like it!

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Alice, I adore that little

Alice, I adore that little bird picture! I just had to mention that!

Jan

Thank you

That Eastern Bluebird was a regular at my feeder for a while this spring.  Right now, it's more goldfinches, red bellied woodpeckers and house finches.

Alice