Stage IV adenocarcinoma lung cancer

Miamia1990
Miamia1990 Member Posts: 3

My mom was recently diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma lung cancer. I brought her into the hospital last week because she had swelling in her face and shortness of breath. They found several masses in her right lung, one of which is causing svc syndrome. The mass is pushing on her superior vena cava causing the swelling in the top half of her body.  She also has fluid in her lungs and in her pericardium. The doctors immediately started radiation on the mass causing the svc syndrome, at the time the doctors believed it was small cell lung cancer. After the surgery to drain the fluid results came back on the tissue sample confirming it was non small cell lung cancer. From that point she had an MRI, CT, and bone scan. Results came back that there were between 5 to 7 masses in her brain, one on her pelvic bone, and a small mass on her adrenal gland. Full brain radiation was started as well as radiation on her pelvic bone. At this point the doctors here are telling me she has months and not really giving me much hope. She is currently in the hospital for being so sick but as soon as she has a discharge date I will be taking her for a second opinion. I'm scared and questioning why something like this could happen. She and I both have plenty family and friends supporting us but to have support from others who have gone or are going through this would be tremendous. Im scared and don't know what to do at this point.

Comments

• ClaCla
    ClaCla Member Posts: 136 Member
    edited July 2017 #2
    Miamia 1990

I don't have personal recovery experience to share yet, as I just learned I have a lung mass.  However, my mother died some years ago, after a year-long battle with an advanced stage of a cancer called Multiple Myeloma.  So I can imagine and am very sorry for the chaos and confusion you're going through.  Maybe if you ask some specific questions, people on this site will have some experiences and suggestions that might help you.  Thoughts and prayers are with you for finding the best resources for your situation.

• Miamia1990
    Thank you for your support

Thank you for your support and information. One of my big concerns is the prognosis looks grim. The doctors are telling me she has months to live. Has anyone been through this diagnosis and survived longer?  Or does anybody know someone who has been able to over come this diagnosis? I am currently in the process of receiving a second opinion at Roswell park and we are currently waiting on the protein tests conducted on the cancer. Does any one have any advice to get through this or to help my mom? Is there something I should be doing that I'm not?

• scut941
    scut941 Member Posts: 1
    prognosis

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 in 2016 with 17 mets to her brain.  Her prognosis timeline was different because she had an egfr mutation.  Has your mom been tested for targetable mutations?

If not look up tarceva and gilitrif

• Miamia1990
    edited July 2017 #5
    scut941 said:

prognosis

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 in 2016 with 17 mets to her brain.  Her prognosis timeline was different because she had an egfr mutation.  Has your mom been tested for targetable mutations?

If not look up tarceva and gilitrif

We are waiting on the test to

We are waiting on the test to come back on the pathology of the cancer to figure out what the mutations are. Currently they put in a power line in her chest because the picc in her arm wouldn't draw blood due to all the blood clots she has in her arms. However the power line they put in yesterday won't draw blood either. At this point they don't really have a solution for that.