No appetite...what to do?

Options
EissetB
EissetB Member Posts: 133

Pulled the pump out yesterday, got Neulasta injected. Now, guess what? I have soury stomach and no appetite for food!! What do you do when this happened to you? Any suggestion is appreciated. God bless us all

Eisset

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Boost or Ensure

Both of them are good to take and easy on the tummy.  Just try to eat what sounds good to you and don't eat too much at one time.  Little bites are better than consuming a normal portion.  You will not feel like eating at times, but it is important that you eat because you can't continue treatment if you are too weak.  Eggs, oatmeal, boost drinks etc.  Just eat what you can even if it isn't supposed to be good for you like a hamburg or something, if it sounds good - eat it.  Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs!  Kim

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    edited July 2017 #3
    Options
    Yes, Ensure

I drink ensure everyday because I'm being told.  But it can only do so much because my stomach is used to having solids.  That's also one of my struggles after chemo...food really don't taste delicious at all I think I can live for how many days without eating.  What I do is force myself to eat around 3 spoons of rice then eat fruits or anything sweet.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Ensure

I have heard that Ensure, the nutrition drink, is good. It helps keep you nourished until you can tolerate solids. But, it is best to eat real food, so start off with something mild and easily digested. 

Treatment is a never ending litany of side effects. You're making your way through them, and will soon come out the other end, looking back. 

Indeed, God bless us all. 

Tru

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this

I've been dealing with this for about 3 weeks now. The idea of food is just disgusting. I wish I could just take a pill and it would be full of nutrition and would swell up on my stomach and fill it. I eat a lot of puddings, soup, toast, sandwiches and Mr Freezies. Bananas are supposed to be good when your stomach is bad but I find they give me terrible indigestion later. Watermellon does the same. 

I wish I had some good suggestions for you. I'm on an anti-nausea drug and it helps but doesn't make it go away. Good luck!

Jan

• Phoenix_66
    Phoenix_66 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    What Works For Me

With each reoccurance of my cancer over the past 11 years, I have had to find different foods to try mostly by trial and error.  Because the oxyliplatin doesn't allow me to ingest anything cold, I have found carnation instant breakfast bottles that are similar to the ensure or boost that works for me.  I also use the water flavoring packets like tropical punch to add to luke warm water bottles.  Other foods that I have tolerated without making me sick are: single-serve microwave cups like flavored rice-a-roni, mac-n-chees, or zatarans red beans and rice, and even apples and cinimon instant oatmeal.  My wife tried to get me to try flavored roman noodles but I cannot stand those.  For me the secret is eating very small portions of whatever will not turn my stomach even though I really don't feel like eating at all.  Got to keep your strength up.  I was warned early on not to eat my favorite meals because the chemo would ruin my taste for it and it is definately true.  BC (before cancer) one of my favorite things for lunch was a hot Quizzno sub but I made the mistake of getting one right after chemo one day and now just the smell of Quizznos makes me want to puke.  Good luck.

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Appetite

i also struggle with appetite, so basically anything that appeals to me, I will eat, or drink. Tastes change all the time.  Sometimes I'll just put a Lindt Chocolate in my mouth, let it melt, and voila! You just ate 80 calories without chewing.  I agree with the small meals, small plates, you don't want to feel overwhelmed or discouraged.  

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    edited July 2017 #8
    Options
    When my dad was going through

When my dad was going through this tough time, he was given Ensure. He actually loved the chocolate flavor. 

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited July 2017 #9
    Options
    Diet

A very easy diet is called BRAT. It is very digestible and easy on the body.  BRAT stands for:Banans,Rice,Applesauce,and Toast.  Try it for a few days and see what effect it has!!