Hey everybody

Options

A week ago last Friday, just after my docs determined that I'd had some small strokes, probably caused by the cancer, I was checked into the hospital, where I proceeded to have a larger (still not massive one). Left hand and left side of mouth were partially paralyzed. I'm in a great rehab unit and have got back much of the use of my hand.

Still waiting to find out when I'll restart chemo. Probably Doxorubicin this time.

Best,

Rebecca

Comments

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Wow Becca! I'm sorry to hear

Wow Becca! I'm sorry to hear about your strokes but glad they were found out and treated promptly. Hoping for your quick recovery and on to chemo!

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Becca, you're strong and you

Becca, you're strong and you will make it through this but, OH, how I wish you didn't have to. Thanks for the update, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers. 

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Oh no!

Becca:

Was concerned about you. Hang in there. Hopefully you'll get all function back. Strokes are actually pretty common I guess among our types. 

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    So sorry

so sorry that you have to go through this too. But so glad that you are getting good care.  You are strong and you can do this.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Think and praying for you

Think and praying for you becca

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    edited July 2017 #7
    Options
    No one needs that on top of cancer

While it sucks that you had the strokes, it's great that you've already gotten back a lot of the use of your hand.  I saw physical therapy do amazing things when my dad had his stroke.  You're strong and motivated.  Hang tough, Becca. We're all pulling for you.

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    edited July 2017 #8
    Options
    So good to hear from you Becca,

sorry to hear that you had some strokes!  Ditto what everyone else has said- sending out love and prayers and big ole (((HUGS)))  Keep us posted about your progress- we're cheering for you <3

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited July 2017 #9
    Options
    I second Soup. Wow! I was

I second Soup. Wow! I was wondering how your biopsy went and never dreamed you were going through this now, too. It's just sounds absolutely surreal. Praying for you to have a complete recovery. You have enough to deal with without this on top of it. Again, Wow!

• takingcontrol58
    takingcontrol58 Member Posts: 272 Member
    edited July 2017 #10
    Options
    Becca, sorry to hear

that you experienced these strokes. I know you will get through this.

Since you mentioned getting the chemo drug Doxorubicin, I just wanted you to be aware that
    it is one of the most dangerous chemo drugs available and is associated with irreversible
    myocardial toxicity, which can lead to fatal congestive heart failure.  And when used with other
    chemotherapies, it can result in even higher incidences of heart damage.  The heart failure may occur
    during treatment or even years later. Since you just had the strokes, I would question why a doctor
    would even consider this drug for you that is well known for causing heart damage.  This drug is named
    a "carcinogen" by the National Toxicology Program of the National Institutes of Health.  You can learn
    alot about the drug at the website www.drugs.com. I would highly recommend you look into  the details
    of this drug. A stroke can happen from a blood clot, so you need to keep your blood thin.  Are you taking a
    low dose aspirin each day?  I take 2 each day.  It thins your blood and inhibits the COX2enzyme, which is a key
    cause of inflammation, which can lead to cancer. Aspirin reduces the risk of any cancer  by 25%.

I would recommend you meet with a naturopath or integrative oncologist who can put you on a
    good supplementation program so that you can repair some of the damage being caused by the
    cancer drugs. The supplements protect your healthy cells while the chemo is trying to damage both
    the cancer cells and healthy cells.

Takingcontrol58

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you Becca.  So

Thinking of you Becca.  So sorry you are having to deal with this on top of the darn recurrence. I know you will stay strong and get through this. Take care dear one....

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• dgrdalton
    dgrdalton Member Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Becca,you are one strong lady

Becca,you are one strong lady! Praying for you as you get better!

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Options
    Becca, praying for a full and

Becca, praying for a full and fast recovery for you! Kim

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Oh Becca, I am sorry to hear

Oh Becca, I am sorry to hear this and wish you strength.

• Gardena
    Gardena Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2017 #15
    Options
    Becca

Praying for you to have strength of mind, body and spirit. I hope you're wo pain and are finding some calm in this storm. All the very best to you, Becca. Gardena

• henhill
    henhill Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Sending prayers your way

Hugs to you and hopes for a strong recovery.  God be with you on this journey.

• Hma4
    Hma4 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Becca

Hugs and prayers for continued healing

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited July 2017 #18
    Options
    Becca

Hope you are continuing to do well in rehab. Please know you are in my thoughts. 

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Thank you all for all the

Thank you all for all the good wishes. I came home last Friday after a successful week in rehab. Saw my out-of-town gyn onc this week. She agrees with my local onc about chemo options to try to reduce my tumors while we wait for the genomic testing results, which will be in  in three weeks. Meanwhile, my local onc is on vacation for the next week. Right now I feel too weak to have chemo and am leaning toward just waiting for the genomics and then deciding whether or not to do chemo. Problem is, I'm pretty uncomfortable from fluid in my abdomen and can't get rid of that without either having chemo or having it drained (yuck!)

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The waiting is tough. Sorry

The waiting is tough. Sorry to hear you are also uncomfortable while you wait. On the upside its good to hear that your rehab was effective.