Out of breath

Bellen
Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member

Hi all - My treatment is folfiri + avastin. When 5 Fu bottle comes off, have 5 days of white blood cell shots.  This is day 7 after the clinic chemo and day 5 from 5Fu off.  Have been out of breath and wondering if anyone else has been out of breath after chemo and/or WBC shots - feeling like crap - home all week.  Plus everything running through me (have intestinal stricture, so have always had stomach issues). Not sure if chemo or white blood cell shots, or both are causing out of breath.  I have had two blood transfusions due to low hemoglobin.  Seems like I get really wacked every chemo - WBC and red cells.   

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I've been so weak since my

I've been so weak since my obstruction that even the slightest effort makes me feel out of breath. I breathe in fast, short gulps if that makes sense. Kind of like I've been over working or running a bit or something. Until I sit for a bit that's how I am. If I just go in a store for a few monutes I'm like that for another few minutes after. Is that what you mean? For me I think it's just the fatigue.

Jan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    It is normal

I was terribly out of breath during chemo.  I remember how easily I got exhaused. I called it puffy. I would puff and pant even when I was getting dressed or undressed. 

I had the low white, red and platelets. Had Neupogen shots, and one blood transfusion. Not much could be doen with the platelets. 

It really is a struggle to get through when you are feeling so exhausted; but at the end of the day, you walk away alive and healthy. I know it seems like it is taking forever, but stick with it, and soon, you'll see the back of it. 

Tru

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    This is common,

I'll get out of breath taking a shower, going from my backyard to the front, climbing the stairs, it takes a lot out of you.  But you sit, grab a drink, relax, and you will recharge. This is not unusual, the chemo and cancer is a battle, just keep positive, your body will recover. 

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Out of breath

I believe the neupogen white blood cell shots really exacerbate the chemo side effects, as well as having their own crappy side effects.  I guess I feel that I should have more days when I feel a bit more normal, but by the time the 5Fu bottle comes off and then the five days of WBC shots, it is already a week.  Find side effects from WBC shots are worse day 4, 5.  Then have to recoup from it all by the next week.  Just wish I could have more days before go at it again.  Right now having a few 3 wk treatments for a bit of a break, instead of every 2 wks.