Avastin used for colorectal mestasi to liver

Gmagmax31
Gmagmax31 Member Posts: 13
edited June 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Looking for anyone who has had all side effects avastin gives you. I am just fine, feeling fine , if I don't have avastin.

Comments

• bobby66
    bobby66 Member Posts: 69
    Hi

My husband uses Avastin. What side effects are you feeling?

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    I'm taking Avastin

I'm taking Avastin Along with Xeloda and I may be feeling some effects but I'm not sure.

I have experienced lower back ache, thought I needed to see the dentist with sore gums. I had elevated pulse which sent me to ER on a visit to my Oncologist and I am now taking Metoprolol.

I'm not sure everything was Avastin related. What are experiencing?

• bobby66
    Right now he has diarreah and

Right now he has diarreah and vomiting, also stomach pain. Not sure if it is from side effects, but is so bad that he is on his way to ER. Also feeling weak and sleepy.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited June 2017 #5
    Tunadog said:

I'm taking Avastin

I'm taking Avastin Along with Xeloda and I may be feeling some effects but I'm not sure.

I have experienced lower back ache, thought I needed to see the dentist with sore gums. I had elevated pulse which sent me to ER on a visit to my Oncologist and I am now taking Metoprolol.

I'm not sure everything was Avastin related. What are experiencing?

Tunadog, lower back pain with

Tunadog, lower back pain with Xeloda? I'm asking because I've been having a terrible time with my sciatica and lower back pain and I'm on Xeloda. I've had sciatica for over 20 years due to sitting at work but I'm not working now and it's worse than usual. Also, I don't normally have back pain with it, just the leg pain. But now I'm spending half my time sitting or lying on a heating pad and I sleep with one so I can try to get some sleep because the pain is so bad. 

I just looked it up and it does mention back/joint/muscle pain as a possible side effect for Xeloda. I see my onc on Thursday so I'm going to ask. She's given me codeine to try to slow down my output and thicken it up but it hasn't worked that way. I keep taking it to help with the pain. Two tablets at 30 mgs each help but I'm worried about becoming immune to it and needing more and also becoming addicted. I also don't think it's healthy to take all that.

I've never been a person who gets addicted to anything and I never even tried recreational drugs but I'm seeing how chronic pain can make a person become dependant. If I had to live with this or even worse pain I'd do whatever I could to make it stop.

Jan

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    bobby66 said:

Right now he has diarreah and

Right now he has diarreah and vomiting, also stomach pain. Not sure if it is from side effects, but is so bad that he is on his way to ER. Also feeling weak and sleepy.

Sorry he's having a rough

Sorry he's having a rough time, my wife had no big issues with Avastin.............................Dave

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    I had no issues with Avastin

But you need to be aware th a time it can cause bowel perforation (very rare, but a known side effect)

• bobby66

really? he is getting admitted as we speak. I think he has some kind of diverticulitis and also his colon is irritated so they are keeping him under observation. The good news is that his tumors are shrinking.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    bobby66 said:

really? he is getting admitted as we speak. I think he has some kind of diverticulitis and also his colon is irritated so they are keeping him under observation. The good news is that his tumors are shrinking.

Yay! That's awesome news! It

Yay! That's awesome news! It's nasty to not feel well but tumours shrinking is what matters the most. 

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Tunadog, lower back pain with

Tunadog, lower back pain with Xeloda? I'm asking because I've been having a terrible time with my sciatica and lower back pain and I'm on Xeloda. I've had sciatica for over 20 years due to sitting at work but I'm not working now and it's worse than usual. Also, I don't normally have back pain with it, just the leg pain. But now I'm spending half my time sitting or lying on a heating pad and I sleep with one so I can try to get some sleep because the pain is so bad. 

I just looked it up and it does mention back/joint/muscle pain as a possible side effect for Xeloda. I see my onc on Thursday so I'm going to ask. She's given me codeine to try to slow down my output and thicken it up but it hasn't worked that way. I keep taking it to help with the pain. Two tablets at 30 mgs each help but I'm worried about becoming immune to it and needing more and also becoming addicted. I also don't think it's healthy to take all that.

I've never been a person who gets addicted to anything and I never even tried recreational drugs but I'm seeing how chronic pain can make a person become dependant. If I had to live with this or even worse pain I'd do whatever I could to make it stop.

Jan

Joint pain/Xeloda

Jan:  Do you have the source (website) of the joint pain/Xeloda?  I saw another oncologist today and everyone I see makes funny faces when I say joint pain and then says it is not a side effect.  Thanks.

• nj55
    nj55 Member Posts: 25
    Avastin added to Folfiri

Goodness today! I am fortunate to have doctors that schedule tests first thing in the morning, then meet with me a couple hours later to go over the tests and scans. No waiting forever for results and only 1trip. I live 100 miles away. I started Avastin with the Folfiri a few months ago. My CT scan showed no changes 2 months ago. Good but not what I was hoping for. Today shows the tumors shrinking and liquifying. I have a long way to go, but this is a step in the right direction. I will live with the side effects if it is working. They are manageable. The hardest part was giving up teaching. I wasn't ready for that, but I can't take off the time I need for 3 days of chemo every 2 weeks forever. I'm not at my best and it isn't fair to my students even though they are unbelievably supportive.

• nj55
    nj55 Member Posts: 25
    Good news

I hate autocorrect. That should say good news, not goodness.

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    alt med

We reduce the need for Avastin, an engineered antibody for VEGF-A, - by attacking various precursors of VEGF-A, and pathways to VEGF-A.  We included milder adjuncts like IV vitamin C, cimetidine, celecoxib as well as very potent supplements, sometimes in levels even beyond the Life Extension list, with an oral 5FU drug.  My wife has very few side effects despite long term treatment.

These extras to  reduce cancer indicators and contributors like HIF-1a, LDH5, CA199, histamine, reactive oxidation species and inflammatory items like IL6.

Not treated directly, some of these precursors probably build up more during Avastin use, whereas we try to prevent them, or destroy them before the VEGF-A can form.  In 2010, when we started, Avastin treatments were short term, typically 6 - 12 months. In the literature, mCRC patients' cancers often seemed to accelerate  when Avastin discontinued because those precursors were still there and accumulated.   

• bobby66
    The oncologist came to see

The oncologist came to see him today. Everything he is feeling is from the side effects, however she says those are not side effects from Avastin, but we believe they are. He had one treatment without the avastin and he wasnt feeling misserable. The doctor swears the side effects are not from Avastin. We think we will stop the Avastin for now.

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    bobby66 said:

The oncologist came to see

The oncologist came to see him today. Everything he is feeling is from the side effects, however she says those are not side effects from Avastin, but we believe they are. He had one treatment without the avastin and he wasnt feeling misserable. The doctor swears the side effects are not from Avastin. We think we will stop the Avastin for now.

side effects increase over time

So the onc is likely correct, the side effects are probably from his main chemo.  However, stopping Avastin will show you the difference (if any) caused by avastin.  Good plan.

• Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Avastin side effects

I was on Avastin for one treatment short of 2 years.  My only side effect was nasal congestion (and it was pretty bad).  Since I was only on Avastin, I know that was the cause. No joint pain, no tiredness, no anything else.

• Phoenix_66
    Phoenix_66 Member Posts: 118
    edited July 2017 #17
    Avastin Side Effects

I took Folfiri with Avastin during my 2013 treatment regiment for six months and then another 1.5 years of just Avastin as a maintenance chemo.  I also only experienced nasal congestion as a side effect.  In fact the effects were so minor that I drove myself over 100 miles every three weeks for the Avastin treatment with no complications.