Stage 1 lung adenocarcinoma

lumen_4231121
lumen_4231121 Member Posts: 13

Hello! I am a Stage 2 Colon Cancer & Stage 3 Thyroid Cancer Survivor/Winner! My husband is also a Stage 1 Liver Cancer Winner. Thanks and praise the good Lord! My father has been recently diagnosed with Stage 1 lung adenocarcinoma. When I got diagnosed with my first cancer, I was very scared. But this is worse and i am more than scared, I am so very afraid what tomorrow brings... We have been to an oncologist who referred us to a lung surgeon. The lung surgeon told us the cancer is very small, there is no spread and surgery is the best option. He added that age is not a factor - my dad is 85 years old. We go see my dad's cardiologist next week to see if he is fit for surgery. His primary doctor advised no surgery, no aggressive treatments and just let Dad enjoy what's left of his life. His pulmonary doctor told us that surgery is not an option because Dad has COPD, he's been a smoker for more than 20 years but quit 45 years ago. The lung surgeon is optimistic and told us that if the cardiologist says that Dad can handle surgery, then, the final decision is for us to make. Dad thinks he is too old for surgery and is worried his heart is not strong enough. He had a mild heart attack in 2012 while in the hospital fighting a serious blood infection that almost killed him.

Please advise, any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much and God bless us all.

Comments

• lumen_4231121
    edited June 2017 #2
    Please HELP

Anybody here who can relate to what I am going through right now, I need any advice. I don't know if my father should have the surgery. His cardiologist say it can be done but the risk is high. We still have to hear what his pulmonary doctor will say. Although he previously advised that surgery is not an option. His primary doctor is not recommending surgery nor chemo treatments. She said let my Dad enjoy what's left of his life with us not with doctors and nurses in the hospital. My stress level is up to the roof right now. I need help, please.

• Katmar
    Katmar Member Posts: 55
    Has no one spoken to you

Has no one spoken to you about Sterotactic radiation. It may be just the thing for your father.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/stereotactic-radiosurgery/home/ovc-20130212

• lumen_4231121
    Katmar said:

Has no one spoken to you

Has no one spoken to you about Sterotactic radiation. It may be just the thing for your father.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/stereotactic-radiosurgery/home/ovc-20130212

Thanks

Thank you! We are scheduled to see a radiation oncologist next week and I will ask him about stereotactic radiosurgery. Thank you so much. I think this is the safest option for Dad.

• Katmar
    Katmar Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2017 #5

Thanks

Thank you! We are scheduled to see a radiation oncologist next week and I will ask him about stereotactic radiosurgery. Thank you so much. I think this is the safest option for Dad.

I think it probably is, too

I think it probably is, too and should give him good quality