Diet and lifestyle

2»

Comments

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    "Select study"

....was done among 35,000 men to measure the positive benefits of vitamin e and selenium, however the study was stopped midway, since the study group instead of showing positive benefit, showed negative effect. So, say no to vitamin e and selenium

• Rakendra
    Rakendra Member Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2017 #23
    Ketogenic Diet

Lets cut to the chase here.  If you really want the healthiest diet not just for cancer but also for general health, then go Keto.  There is plenty of info on Youtube.  Keto is NOT for sissies.  This is a major lifestyle change and requires a lot of atitude adjustment.  You WILL lose all your fat.  I have lost 3 inches of my gut, and now have the 2nd best abs at my gym.  I have lost so much weight that I cannot compete in bodybuilding anymore, but am now competitive in Fitness.  Keto is incredible combined with intermitent fasting.  Check it out guys.  The food supply today is TOXIC.  Love, Swami rakendra

• Grinder
    Grinder Member Posts: 487 Member
    Toxic food

Yes, food is toxic... I try to only do organic. Recently, there are unacceptable traces of glyphosate showing up in wheat products. It seems that the Monsanto compound is being used to kill the wheat. As you probably know, when a plant is killed, it sends all its remaining energy/nutrients to its reproduction.. i.e. the wheat kernels. They have found that they can shorten the life of a wheat field yet get the same yield. This increases the number of crops they can plant and harvest in a growing season. Then there is GMO... GMO plants are not in themselves toxic, but they are genetically engineered to grow faster and have larger produce, but at the expense of nutrition. Perhaps in a country with little resources and resulting starvation, this would make food stuffs plentiful, but at the cost of nutritional value. There is no reason for us to produce and consume GMO.

I could go on, but I am guessing we all have our stories about the food supply.  Then there is restaraunt talapia... don't get me started.

• Grinder
    question about coconut oil

How many of you have been told that coconut oil is very very bad for you, but very very good for you?

Does anybody have a definitive answer? Some say coconut oil is the quickest trip to the coronary unit, other people say it is the food of the gods. I don't know what to think. I have used unrefined virgin coconut oil, and not noticed anything aversive. But am I signing my death warrant later down the road, or will it give me shiny hair and a smooth complexion. I have heard everything. This is of course internally. I don't doubt its external use, though I prefer a mix of beeswax and olive oil externally.

If anybody can offer insight let me know.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Grinder said:

Toxic food

Yes, food is toxic... I try to only do organic. Recently, there are unacceptable traces of glyphosate showing up in wheat products. It seems that the Monsanto compound is being used to kill the wheat. As you probably know, when a plant is killed, it sends all its remaining energy/nutrients to its reproduction.. i.e. the wheat kernels. They have found that they can shorten the life of a wheat field yet get the same yield. This increases the number of crops they can plant and harvest in a growing season. Then there is GMO... GMO plants are not in themselves toxic, but they are genetically engineered to grow faster and have larger produce, but at the expense of nutrition. Perhaps in a country with little resources and resulting starvation, this would make food stuffs plentiful, but at the cost of nutritional value. There is no reason for us to produce and consume GMO.

I could go on, but I am guessing we all have our stories about the food supply.  Then there is restaraunt talapia... don't get me started.

The late George Carlin once

The late George Carlin once reported in jest that "Scientists have discovered that saliva causes stomach cancer, but only when swallowed in small quantities over decades."

This thread seems to be chasing it's tail round and round: "Do this, don't do that, this was repudiated, this has weak evidence." I believe that diet has virtually no role in PCa or any other cancer for that matter, and it definitely has no role after PCa has begun in returning to wellness.  

Evidence suggesting dietary links is tenuous, and certainly never rises to the level of "cause." Ok, alcoholism is clearly linked to escophagal and/or throat, but results this clear and intuitive are not the norm. How many tens of millions of dollars have been spent on "saw  palmetto" as a way to maintain prostate health ? And all studies have shown​ it to be worthless.  PCa constantly strikes men of all body types and dietary histories.   I ate what I liked prior to diagnosis, just as I eat what I like now.  

When I was on chemo for advanced Lymphoma, my wife asked my hematologist, who has 5 board certifications, what I should eat, and he said "any damn thing he wants....the critical thing on chemo is to intake calories." It is a near universal understanding that people on multiple harsh chemos will develop food fetishes, cravings, and/or drug-induced anorexia, and that they just need to eat something, anything, to weather the storm.

When my friend Gary was in hospice two days before death, he requested a milkshake; he had not eaten in days. He was clearly terminal and about to pass, in and out of delirium.  A friend objected, saying " the sugar will feed the cancer." The profound stupidity and meanness of her comment has never ceased to amaze me. At times, a little perspective is to be desired. He enjoyed the shake incidentally.

max

• Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    Grinder said:

question about coconut oil

How many of you have been told that coconut oil is very very bad for you, but very very good for you?

Does anybody have a definitive answer? Some say coconut oil is the quickest trip to the coronary unit, other people say it is the food of the gods. I don't know what to think. I have used unrefined virgin coconut oil, and not noticed anything aversive. But am I signing my death warrant later down the road, or will it give me shiny hair and a smooth complexion. I have heard everything. This is of course internally. I don't doubt its external use, though I prefer a mix of beeswax and olive oil externally.

If anybody can offer insight let me know.

Latest Food Fad

Coconut oil to me is just the lastest food fad.

It's way too expensive to be used on an ordinary basis.  Olive oil and canola oil are just fine when used, like all oils, in moderation.

• GeneRose1
    GeneRose1 Member Posts: 64
    More on Calcium

OK guys, I just got back from my Oncologist. I presented the calcium question to him and he responded that, in my case, taking large doses of calcum supplements does more harm than good. So that's it. I'm off the calcium. Thanks to you all for helping me find and correct another screw-up on this journey. Best/Gene

• Grinder
    edited May 2017 #29
    saw palmetto

FYI... ^What he said about Saw Palmetto. It is the snake oil of prostate health. Only instead of a side show with the barker out front and a planted shill in the audience, the show is on our TVs and radios.

• hewhositsoncushions
    hewhositsoncushions Member Posts: 411 Member
    edited May 2017 #30
    @Gene - teamwork for the win

@Gene - teamwork for the win :) Glad you got good professional advice on this to back up the input here.

@Grinder - it's a sad fact of life that people will capitalise on other people's suffering. Caveat Emptor!

• Rakendra
    Rakendra Member Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2017 #31
    Cocoa nut oil

Cocoanut oil is the new staple of the bodybuilding, fitness and sports industry.  Even LaBron James is Keto, and everything in his life improved.  I am too old now to write much, but check out the history of cocoanut oil and how the fake food industry stopped people in Asis from using it and switching to manufactured oil.  I would not use Canola oil, and it is not recommended on a Keto Diet.  Cocoanut oil is my main source of fat.  love, swami rakendra

• hewhositsoncushions
    hewhositsoncushions Member Posts: 411 Member
    edited May 2017 #32
    @Gene - the book is the

@Gene - the book is the Prostate Cancer Care Cookbook (Kyle books) by Margaret Ryman, Kay Dilley and Kay Gibbons. Some very good meals. I recommed a slow cooker if you have not got one already it you like the stews.

@Max - the voice of reason :) You are right, there is a lot of scare mongering but if enough studies show links even if correlation rather than causation, I would say that is reason enough to be careful. I'm happy with a vegan plus seafood plus a few selected supplements. It keeps me fed and healty (have lost nearly a stone so far!). Quality food - less of it!

C