VATS pls help! So scared !!!

Lorrie12
Lorrie12 Member Posts: 5

Hi,

Im new to this kind of thing ? But I need some real people who have gone threw this ! I need help !! ADVICE!!back in 2010 I started to have some breathing issues ! Long story short they found a 3 mm tumor in my lungs ! Everyone was scared I had lung cancer ! But I met with a pulanologyst and he said I had a Atypical pnumionioa and put me on some antibiotics ! That seemed to help! 6 years later the Tumor had doubles and was at 6mm ! They said let's watch it another 6 months and see what it's gunna do! Now it's 7mm and I'm scheduled for  Wedge VATs surgery! He said if it's cancer he will do a lobectomy ! One can anyone tell me how painful VATs is ??? That's my first question ? Then if he does have to remove the lobe how painful that is ??

Comments

• Misty Rose
    Misty Rose Member Posts: 2
    I am sorry you are going

I am sorry you are going through this, try not to panic yourself into getting sicker. My husband recently had his upper rt. lobe removed. His doctor also kept prescribing antibiotics for years saying it was bronchitis alone. We should insist upon an X-ray when we keep having problems or go to another doc. I know that's not always feasible but we have to be our own advocates also. We were blessed to find a great surgeon who likes for his patients to have an epidural put in for post-op pain, which is scary (but went well). There are other pain meds too, make sure they give you plenty. I learned that most of the pain was from the tubes that were inserted. His surgeon is awesome & my husband didn't feel much pain even when the tubes were removed. The most trouble was getting the nurses to use the epidural machine correctly. My husb. tumor ended up being over 10 mm! The surgeon said the tumor had probably been there for 6 yrs. or so. I couldn't believe it. It was on his sternum & 2 ribs also. I am very glad you are getting it taken care of and have hope that it will be OK. My husband was very scared also, he is 51 yo & that was his first surgery. People are living healthy lives with lung lobes removed & whole lungs removed. I hope you will be OK & I hope you have support to be at the hospital with you. It sounds hard but the healing process will involve getting up a few days later to get that fluid out, which is very important. Good luck to you Lorrie12. You will be in my prayers.

• Lorrie12

I am sorry you are going

I am sorry you are going through this, try not to panic yourself into getting sicker. My husband recently had his upper rt. lobe removed. His doctor also kept prescribing antibiotics for years saying it was bronchitis alone. We should insist upon an X-ray when we keep having problems or go to another doc. I know that's not always feasible but we have to be our own advocates also. We were blessed to find a great surgeon who likes for his patients to have an epidural put in for post-op pain, which is scary (but went well). There are other pain meds too, make sure they give you plenty. I learned that most of the pain was from the tubes that were inserted. His surgeon is awesome & my husband didn't feel much pain even when the tubes were removed. The most trouble was getting the nurses to use the epidural machine correctly. My husb. tumor ended up being over 10 mm! The surgeon said the tumor had probably been there for 6 yrs. or so. I couldn't believe it. It was on his sternum & 2 ribs also. I am very glad you are getting it taken care of and have hope that it will be OK. My husband was very scared also, he is 51 yo & that was his first surgery. People are living healthy lives with lung lobes removed & whole lungs removed. I hope you will be OK & I hope you have support to be at the hospital with you. It sounds hard but the healing process will involve getting up a few days later to get that fluid out, which is very important. Good luck to you Lorrie12. You will be in my prayers.

thank you

Thank you Misty, was your husbands tumor cancer ? If so what kind? So the epidural really helped him with pain ? 

• Lorrie12
    edited March 2017 #4
    39 year old female VATS surgery

Can anyone tell me how painful this operation is? My Surgery is scheduled next Thur for a wedge VATS . If it comes back positive they will do a lobectomy ? 

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Lorrie12 said:

39 year old female VATS surgery

Can anyone tell me how painful this operation is? My Surgery is scheduled next Thur for a wedge VATS . If it comes back positive they will do a lobectomy ? 

Lorrie

I had vats for removal of the lower right lobe on 9-23-10.  I had squamous cell lung cancer 1.1cm stage 1A.  I too had the biopsy right in the OR before the lobe was removed.  I was in the hospital 3 days and went back to work after 1 month.  Initially, it is painful but with pain meds and positioning yourself where your most comfortable with pillows really helps.  Try to walk when you can.  I was able to perform my physical jobs duties when I returned to work, but did breathing exercises and took my time.  I am totally back to normal and was about 1 year out.  This was my 2nd cancer so maybe thats why it took longer to feel my stamina coming back.  I wish you well, and let us know how it goes. 

• Lorrie12
    z said:

Lorrie

I had vats for removal of the lower right lobe on 9-23-10.  I had squamous cell lung cancer 1.1cm stage 1A.  I too had the biopsy right in the OR before the lobe was removed.  I was in the hospital 3 days and went back to work after 1 month.  Initially, it is painful but with pain meds and positioning yourself where your most comfortable with pillows really helps.  Try to walk when you can.  I was able to perform my physical jobs duties when I returned to work, but did breathing exercises and took my time.  I am totally back to normal and was about 1 year out.  This was my 2nd cancer so maybe thats why it took longer to feel my stamina coming back.  I wish you well, and let us know how it goes. 

Thank God your doing better!

thank you so much for responding ! I'm so glaf your doing better! Did you have chemo ? Also did you have an epidural ? 

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited March 2017 #7
    Lorrie12 said:

Thank God your doing better!

thank you so much for responding ! I'm so glaf your doing better! Did you have chemo ? Also did you have an epidural ? 

Lorrie

I didn't have chemo or radiation because it was not recommended for the stage 1A diagnosis.  I don't think I had an epidural because when I woke up I could feel every part of my body, unless it wore off. 

• Peggy1951
    Peggy1951 Member Posts: 5
    Lorrie 12.  Good luck with

Lorrie 12.  Good luck with your surgery.  I pray that you will recover and have no side effects.  I was very weak and even after a year and one half I still do not have the energy I had before.  It was not painful but uncomfortable.  The phrenic nerve was damaged during surgery so I am dealing with the left side of the diaphragm being paralyzed.  It is just a slow recovery but now I am breathing better and I feel I am on my way to recovery thanks to prayer.  I hope this helps and wish you a blessed recovery.

• light555
    light555 Member Posts: 1
    Lung cancer biopsy

Biopsy for 3 cancers in left lung upper lobe.  Largest over 1" across.  What now?  Scared.