Funny story...related to nephrectomy

dhs1963
dhs1963 Member Posts: 513

I have had a bug for the last week or so.  Tuesday of last week, I woke up in agony:  extreme pain on my right side.  So, I went to the local ER.  Since I did not think it was cardiac (wrong location), I chose the hospital based on the ER wait.

In the hospital, they did some tests and a CT scan to make sure there were no obstructions or anything.  I was running a moderate fever.  But, by the time I went for the CT, the meds they gave me for pain were working....

After the CT, and everything else, the Dr. says he suspects the problem is a kidney infection.  He wanted to admit me and put me on IV antibiotics.  I asked about the CT report and did that change his opinion. HE WANTED TO TREAT ME FOR AN INFECTED RIGHT KIDNEY!  I HAVE NOT HAD A RIGHT KIDNEY SINCE 2012.  

I told him that -- he said it must be a mistake.  I have my kidney.  He showed me the CT report -- which actually indicated an issue with the right kidney.  But the good news was my overies were fine.  Um....I am a guy.

The name was my name, but the scan was not me.  About 10 minutes later, they got it sorted out.  Imagine the shock of the woman who was told that her right kidney was missing.  

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Similar story

(pasted from 2014)

The following is my recent ultrasound report. Does anybody see anything wrong with it? 

RENAL SONOGRAPHY:Indication for examination: Renal Cell Carcinoma. BPH with obstruction.

Comparison is made with an MIU study dated 08/15/2013 revealing no significsnt interval change. The left kidney currently measures 11.8x6.1x8.4cm. I see no abnormalities of contour or configeration. No discrete or diffuse cortical pathology is observed. There is no evidence of hydronephrosis or indwelling calculi. Perinephric soft tissues are intact.

One image of the left renal fossa fails to demonstrate an abnormal mass or fluid collection.

IMPRESSION:

Ongong sonographically normal appearance of right kidney. The patient is status post left nephrectomy.

Icemantoo

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 619 Member
    edited March 2017 #3
    icemantoo said:

Similar story

(pasted from 2014)

The following is my recent ultrasound report. Does anybody see anything wrong with it? 

RENAL SONOGRAPHY:Indication for examination: Renal Cell Carcinoma. BPH with obstruction.

Comparison is made with an MIU study dated 08/15/2013 revealing no significsnt interval change. The left kidney currently measures 11.8x6.1x8.4cm. I see no abnormalities of contour or configeration. No discrete or diffuse cortical pathology is observed. There is no evidence of hydronephrosis or indwelling calculi. Perinephric soft tissues are intact.

One image of the left renal fossa fails to demonstrate an abnormal mass or fluid collection.

IMPRESSION:

Ongong sonographically normal appearance of right kidney. The patient is status post left nephrectomy.

Icemantoo

Ice, maybe they got your left

Ice, maybe they got your left kidney out of storage to remeasure it.....just to be sure.

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    Crazy

Crazy story Dhs!

Hope they were at the very least embarrassed!

Kim

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    At least they didn't

At least based on your scan, they didn't recommend doing a pelvic exam and PAP smear to further diagnose your pain. That could've been problematic. 

• marosa
    marosa Member Posts: 334 Member
    Oh my God, what a crazy story!

I can only imagine your surprise at having "grown" a new kidney!  And the poor lady wondering how she lost hers!

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    You must be so relieved that

You must be so relieved that your ovaries are fine ;) Seriously, did you ever find out what was wrong and why the pain? Judging by the "expert" evaluation of these scans for you and Iceman it makes one wonder what exactly they were doing in medical school.

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,069 Member
    Hilarious and scary at the

Hilarious and scary at the same time... Scary because who knows what this hospital could mess up next time....

• dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513
    APny said:

You must be so relieved that

You must be so relieved that your ovaries are fine ;) Seriously, did you ever find out what was wrong and why the pain? Judging by the "expert" evaluation of these scans for you and Iceman it makes one wonder what exactly they were doing in medical school.

The pain was probably a muscle

Not conclusively diagnosed.  I was caughing a lot.  I may have pulled a muscle.  Who knows.

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited March 2017 #10
    Quite funny! At least they

Quite funny! At least they didn't remove anything by mistake! Glad you are fine!

Hugs

Jojo

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Are you sure they removed your kidney?

Hahahaha.  That's funny, but kind of scary too.  Jeez!

Donna~