Proton Therapy at Scripps

13»

Comments

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Colorado is looking to do an

Colorado is looking to do an epic white water rafting season, our snow pack is 150% of normal.  And I'm on blood thinners and a major bleeding risk until at least September (our rivers are pretty rocky, the fear is impact, and maybe broken bones).  Sooo, maybe day hikes.   I found my late appearing neck burns healed quickly, about 10 days.  I only started burning my last week, so I didn't have a lot.  Yes, Aquaphor is messy, but man does it work.  RadiaDres dealt with all pain, and healed things quickly.  But it runs around +$3 a 6"x6" patch, and a patch lasts for a couple of hours.  Also the patches have no adhesive so I had to hold mine in place with a scarf.

I found it took about a week after the radiation pounding stopped to where I began to be able to swallow.  From there the nutrition drinks eventually got me to around 2,000 daily calories.  I stayed there for the last two and 1/2 months, but this week started making the shift to normal food.  I might have started earlier, but the interest wasn't there, plus mucus continues to show up, vastly less, but still there.  It's actually going pretty well.  Avoiding anything acidic and hard or dry like bread, but real food makes getting 2,000 calories trival.   Had fishsticks with ranch dressing today.  Two tsp of ranch dressing are 240 calories, a single fish stick is +50.  That was just an experiment with lunch.  Lunch was Lobster bisque, 380 calories for a cup, plus a cup of potato soup - 160 calories.  Being on the side of not getting enough calories, I now look at the foods I used to eat and understand why I could never lose weight. We have sooo many calories in our normal foods.

Fruit has turned out to be good.  Surprising things on taste like I can taste cantalope, pineapple, bananas, not mango, grapes honeydew.  Apricots and pears kick in so much fiber that constipation is ovah.   Dry mouth is now my big problem.  I tried all the sprays, and xylimelts patches.  No good. but chewing gum and sipping water is working nicely.

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Silvadene cream

Silvadene cream is for the radiation burns. It has a numbing effect as well as pevention of evaporation. Aquaphor will come into play with any open areas on your neck. Yes it is very mess and Yes I have about a dozen shirts with no collars in them. Keep on using the Aquaphor until the neck burns close/seal over and begin to heal. It will take a few weeks or a month following your radition. Keep Fighting the Fight.

• dw195
    dw195 Member Posts: 43 Member
    Completed 35 Rounds of Proton Therapy

Hi everyone,
    I completed my radiation therapy yesterday and rang the bell. It feels really good to be done with the radiation and chemo, plus the 1-1/2 hour drive each way to San Diego. I'm having a lot of trouble eating but hopefully that will change in the next few days. I think I came through it all ok, I had a really bad reaction to Erbitux so was only able to do 5 rounds but other than that, my Doctor says I'm a textbook case.

So now the real healing begins, thank you to everyone here for your input. 

Don

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    dw195 said:

Completed 35 Rounds of Proton Therapy

Hi everyone,
    I completed my radiation therapy yesterday and rang the bell. It feels really good to be done with the radiation and chemo, plus the 1-1/2 hour drive each way to San Diego. I'm having a lot of trouble eating but hopefully that will change in the next few days. I think I came through it all ok, I had a really bad reaction to Erbitux so was only able to do 5 rounds but other than that, my Doctor says I'm a textbook case.

So now the real healing begins, thank you to everyone here for your input. 

Don

Finished, Done, Complete

Don,

Congratulations on becoming an official bell ringer. 

Now, you can open your “text book case” to chapter 1 my new normal.

Good luck on all fronts.

Matt

• AnotherSurvivor
    Congrats.  I'll be interested

Congrats.  I'll be interested to hear if IMPT rather than total IMRT reduced some of the post-treatment misery.  I just entered week 10 of Post, last night joined family and friends in a [mild] chili dinner, and even ate guacamole on chips (well supplimented with water).  Most things have some taste, many things have their 'normal' taste.  Some of that is changes in just the last week.  Muscus is trivial, about the same as clearing your throat when you have a cold. I've stopped counting calories, and will be making a donation of nutrition shakes to the local foodbank.  Even dry mouth, which is still present, is becoming manageable.

Beer, however, tasted really bad.

• Crazymom
    Crazymom Member Posts: 339 Member
    edited March 2017 #47
    mask

I had SCS in lefttonsil and two left nodes.  I had 6 weeks chemo then 6 weeks radiation.  I had a mouthpiece and I do not think it had a hole.  I just breathed nout of my nose.  My mask had holes so you could see.  You might want to get an anti anxiety to take and relax you.  That might help with the mouthpiece.  I had no trouble with mine so I am wondering if it fits.   It is not comfortable but you will get used to it.  I just had my 5 year exam and all is well.  Get ready for a rough ride, but you can do it and it will get better eventually.

• Nancy24
    Nancy24 Member Posts: 72 Member
    Congratulations!

Congratulations, Don!!!  I'm sure that you were extremely happy ringing the bell and knowing your treatments are over!!!  John ate his first 100% normal meal one month after his last proton treatment so maybe you will, too. When you get to that point, remember to drink lots of water while eating solid food.  John wrote down everything he consumed for the first few months so if you need some food ideas, let us know.

In the meantime, keep drinking. You might want to try Odwalla protein shakes as an alternative sometimes. They might taste better than Ensure Plus but the calories are a little less I think. Your neck will heal quickly now that it's not being hit with radiation. Take it easy for awhile...the lingering effects of chemo and rads will stay with you and you will continue to feel tired. 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The worst is behind you!!

Nancy

• dw195
    edited April 2017 #49
    4 Week Update

I had my 4 week check up last week and thankfully there is no sign of the tumor!!! That was some amazing news, i'm beginning to get some taste back but still  mainly on liquid diet. Not eating real food is so hard :-( Fatigue is still there but not as bad, my Doctor was surprised and happy at how well I'm doing. All I could think was if I'm doing well then I pray for those not doing well after treatment. It truly is torture, but worth it in the end.

I want to thank everyone again that responded to my posts and contacted me personally. You lifted up my spirits when things were the darkest.

:-) Don

• AnotherSurvivor
    edited April 2017 #50
    dw195 said:

4 Week Update

I had my 4 week check up last week and thankfully there is no sign of the tumor!!! That was some amazing news, i'm beginning to get some taste back but still  mainly on liquid diet. Not eating real food is so hard :-( Fatigue is still there but not as bad, my Doctor was surprised and happy at how well I'm doing. All I could think was if I'm doing well then I pray for those not doing well after treatment. It truly is torture, but worth it in the end.

I want to thank everyone again that responded to my posts and contacted me personally. You lifted up my spirits when things were the darkest.

:-) Don

I will be very interested in

I will be very interested in details of your recovery.  Proton wasn't an option for me, and most of us here are pretty acquainted with the after effects of radiation.   So was your 4 week exam the PET?  If it was that's nearly two months earlier than for IMRT.

• dw195

I will be very interested in

I will be very interested in details of your recovery.  Proton wasn't an option for me, and most of us here are pretty acquainted with the after effects of radiation.   So was your 4 week exam the PET?  If it was that's nearly two months earlier than for IMRT.

4 Week Exam

Hi,
    The exam was just the camera down the nose, but there was no sign of the tumor at all!!! I go in May 23rd for a CT/PET Scann, so it's in the same time frame as IMRT. 

• Nancy24
    Thanks for sharing your good ndews!

I was just thinking about you and thought I'd log in and see if you had posted.  Great to know that the scoping showed no evidence of disease.  Hopefully the PET will confirm that.  Let us know if you want suggestions on "real food" to try.  Hang in there!  It only gets better from here on out.

Nancy and John

• dw195
    13 Months after Proton Treatment

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on the site for a while but thought I would give an update for anyone else that is having Proton treatment. I'm currently 13 months post treatment and doing pretty well overall. Most of my taste has come back (Sometimes it will go away after several bites) but if I change to a different food it comes right back. Swallowing is good, pain is 0%, a little bit of tightness in the neck area that received most of the radiation. Saliva has slowly come back especially the past two months, so eating dry foods has become easier.

I still miss not being able to eat barbeque and a few things like that due to the low saliva but I've been able to hold my weight at around 155 (From original 175). Still dealing with fatigue so will have Thyroid checked again and see if that's what it is. Overall very happy I chose Proton and that checkups show NED, my doctor has even said he considers me cured.

Good luck everyone and fight through the treatment period, it does get better after it's over and you have some time to recover!!!

Don

• Nancy24
    That’s great news!

Hi Don. Thanks for the update. I’ll share with John. So glad that you are doing so well.