Docetaxel (Taxotere) - Experiences - Thoughts?

2»

Comments

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    daytona19 said:

taxotere

Hi max,

I am having a good week but my chemo is next wed. so I will enjoy my good days. My PSA is still high but my liver numbers are getting better. Which is good because the liver is the thing that will do me in. The PA saids that the PSA numbers don't start dropping till after the 4th session. I needed to get 2 shots Neupogen to get my WBC up ( white blood cells) and it worked it went from 1.37 t0 11.4.  I will update after the next session.

daytona19

Good

Daytona,

I'm glad it is going well for you. You are doing everyting right: keeping informed and in good spirits.

I do not recall when Gary's PSA began coming down, but Taxotere did take him from 1,000+ to under 200.  Used systematiclly and as the doctor's require, it does give guys a year or more.  Beyond that, I do not recall if you have taken Jevtana, which is usually a post-Taxine drug.

I had to take Neulasta also to boost WBCs. Low WBC is very common after most chemos.  It can cause some bone pain, since it is kickstarting the bone marrow to make new WBCs, but it is almost always effective.

Pulling for you  !   The Daytona race beginning the new NASCAR season is Feb 26 !

max

• daytona19
    daytona19 Member Posts: 54
    taxotere

Hi Max,

I had both Taxotere and cetaximab on Feb.1 which lasted 6 hours. My brother came from Ca. on the 2nd and I had a good weekend. Got worn out and then on feb.8 got just the cetaximab. I have some new side effects, rash on scrotum with a little bleeding and sores on eye lids. cancer is not for sissies. I have a lot questions for my Dr. who I will see on feb.15. Last week I got Neulasta which had a injector that they put on my stomach which waiting 27 hours to inject.

Your are right the race is coming up but I won't make it this year but will watch on TV.

daytona19 

Yes

daytona,

I got a neulasta shot after each infusion. As you experienced, it must be given between 24 to 48 hours after an infusion. And it is ordinarily a tiny shot in the stomach.

I'm glad you had the quality time with your brother.  In NASCAR I'm an ABT guy: "Anything But Toyota." How can a Camry be a racecar ?  What next, using Corollas as monster trucks ?

Pulling for you,

max

• daytona19
    taxotere

Hi Max,

I remember when they were real stock cars. Now they all look the same. The only difference is the engines. The drivers my family like are Matt Kenseth,Dale Jr. and we like Chase Ellliott. I see my Dr. next week and I have 15 questions for him. I will let you and VG what he says'

daytona19

• daytona19
    edited February 2017 #26
    taxotere

Hi Max,

Got my blood results yesterday and all numbers look better. My PSA went from 1421 to 780.Dr. Fishman seem fairly pleased. He is hard to read. There is no cure just more time. I asked him about Immunology which i think is the future and he said there meeting about that in orlando in the next few weeks. You never know what will happen in the future. We will all die but if you have cancer it is more on your mind.Just enjoy your family and friends as long as you can.

daytona19

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited February 2017 #27
    daytona19 said:

taxotere

Hi Max,

Got my blood results yesterday and all numbers look better. My PSA went from 1421 to 780.Dr. Fishman seem fairly pleased. He is hard to read. There is no cure just more time. I asked him about Immunology which i think is the future and he said there meeting about that in orlando in the next few weeks. You never know what will happen in the future. We will all die but if you have cancer it is more on your mind.Just enjoy your family and friends as long as you can.

daytona19

Wise words

And may the chemo really help you!

• daytona19
    edited February 2017 #28
    taxotere

Thank you Old Salt. We will see.

daytona19

edited February 2017 #29
    daytona19 said:

taxotere

Hi Max,

daytona19

Better

Sorry to miss your post for a week Daytona.  The race is of course SUNDAY !

The chemo cut your PSA in half. That has got to be a good thing.  It may go lower still.  Gary's went from a little over 1,000 to about 220 if memory serves me three years later.

You are correct and it is importatnt that you understand this is not curative, as you stated.

Bless you guy, and may your favorite win ...

max

• daytona19
    edited February 2017 #30
    taxotere

Hi Max,

I had taxotere and cetaximab yesterday and I feel ok today. Food will taste funny for awhile but it alway taste a little funny. With the cancer in my bones, liver and sigmiod not sure how low my PSA will go. It would be nice if I get a few years but will take what I can get.I have a great family and a large group of friends pulling for me so that is good.

Thank you for your support. I am pulling for Junior for the.

Phil

daytona19 

Go #88

Phil,

I'm glad your feeling ok following the infusion.   I looked back through this thread, and know that you did HT and Zytiga.

Be aware that Jevtana is a post-chemo drug, started after chemo is no longer effective (but chemo is clearly VERY EFFECTIVE for you currently).  So, down the road there is still another drug to apply. 

Dale Jr. is the most popular driver in NASCAR, and is in the first row for Sunday.  I have one of his shirts that I bought from his trailer one year in Charlotte. He is the richest driver in NASCAR, with a worth of $300 million dollars !   I think he got married this winter.

I hope you enjoy it....maybe invite some people over and have a man-cave event !

max

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/Jevtana.aspx

• daytona19
    taxotere

Hi max,

My PSA just jumped to 877 so I am hopefully a candidate for Jevtana. The jump might not mean that taxotere has stopped working but it is worrisome.

daytona19

edited March 2017 #33
    daytona19 said:

taxotere

Hi max,

My PSA just jumped to 877 so I am hopefully a candidate for Jevtana. The jump might not mean that taxotere has stopped working but it is worrisome.

daytona19

PSA

Daytona,

I'm sorry the PSA drifted up.  You are right: it is best to stick with the Taxotere as long as it is at least partially effective.

Be aware that Jevtana is also an IV med, and getting it will be very similiar to your Taxotere infusions, and it also is accompanied by Prednisone.  Gary got terrible loosness in his bowel while on Jevtana, so be careful of your diet. But the oncologists believed that Gary's bowel issues were exacerbated by radiation he had received years earlier, for which he later had to have cauterizations in his rectum and colon. 

Regardless,  diarrhea is common and sometimes serious for most Jevtana patients. Heavy hydration is critical for any cancer patient on any form of chemotherapy.  I believe that extreme dehydration was the immediate cause for Gary's passing in Hospice, allthough of course he had little time by any reckoning.

With you in Spirit,

max

• daytona19
    edited March 2017 #34

PSA

Daytona,

I'm sorry the PSA drifted up.  You are right: it is best to stick with the Taxotere as long as it is at least partially effective.

Be aware that Jevtana is also an IV med, and getting it will be very similiar to your Taxotere infusions, and it also is accompanied by Prednisone.  Gary got terrible loosness in his bowel while on Jevtana, so be careful of your diet. But the oncologists believed that Gary's bowel issues were exacerbated by radiation he had received years earlier, for which he later had to have cauterizations in his rectum and colon. 

Regardless,  diarrhea is common and sometimes serious for most Jevtana patients. Heavy hydration is critical for any cancer patient on any form of chemotherapy.  I believe that extreme dehydration was the immediate cause for Gary's passing in Hospice, allthough of course he had little time by any reckoning.

With you in Spirit,

max

taxotere

Hi max,

Well since my last post I developed Ascites and swellen ankles. They put me in the hospital for 3 days and took out fluid in midsection and lungs. I have not gotten worst. i am taken bumex 20 mg. They have cancelled my last chemo due to the gain and my Dr. wants to see me on the 5th and hopefully change my program. I am tired all the time.

Your friend

daytona19

daytona19 said:

taxotere

Hi max,

Well since my last post I developed Ascites and swellen ankles. They put me in the hospital for 3 days and took out fluid in midsection and lungs. I have not gotten worst. i am taken bumex 20 mg. They have cancelled my last chemo due to the gain and my Dr. wants to see me on the 5th and hopefully change my program. I am tired all the time.

Your friend

daytona19

Bless you man. Your spirit is

Bless you man. Your spirit is obviously still perfect. I also responded to your note at the other thread.

max