discharge tomorrow

Steve.Adam
Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member

My drain comes out in about 12 hours (unless it fills the bag overnight) and then I'll be booted out.

Thank you all for your support.

I'll post again when I get home and don't need to use this tiny phone screen.

Steve.

Comments

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Great news Steve

Great news Steve

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    edited February 2017 #3
    Great to hear that you are

Great to hear that you are heading back to the sweet home, how's the pain so far?

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited February 2017 #4
    YAAAY!!! And Happy Valentines

YAAAY!!! And Happy Valentines day!

You've been to hell and back, but you are HERE now with us!

Sending you healing hugs,

Jan

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    The "drain"...which one?

Both tend to hurt a bit when they come out, but I think the Foley is worse.

I couldn't believe how much they had stuck and poked into me when I first woke up.  At least everything IV related was plugged into a Central line under my clavicle, which allowed me to move my arms.

Glad you don't go oink like a pig, now.  Get well.

donna_lee

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Congrats!

Sounds super. Funny, I was concerned about how my body was going to handle fluids draining without the drain. Did just fine, though. So will you. 

Getting the drain out was more painful for me than removing the cath (I thought maybe that was a gal thing). The surgeon happily reported that he makes the tubing extra long AND stitches it in so his patients don't inadvertantly take them out. Even so, he's had a patient tell him, "I dunno what happened. It just came out." No danger of that for me. 

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited February 2017 #7
    The journey begins

Steve,

May your journey be uneventful and continue for many years.

Icemantoo

• DAC677
    DAC677 Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2017 #8
    Congrats!

Enjoy the win and stay active. Know that your not superman and youll need naps and rest just to be followed by more activity.

You got this

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Well done

Enjoy your recovery back at home. Is Neigbours still on over there?

• Steve.Adam
    Neighbours?

I think I watched half an episode of Neighbours in 1988.  Not sure what happened after that. Kylie married Jason, right?

• Steve.Adam
    DAC677 said:

Congrats!

Enjoy the win and stay active. Know that your not superman and youll need naps and rest just to be followed by more activity.

You got this

Thanks Dac

I have been feeling pretty lazy. More than I was expecting.  I've been walking 1 or 2 km each day since I got home but don't feel like walking much farther or faster.

• Steve.Adam
    icemantoo said:

The journey begins

Steve,

May your journey be uneventful and continue for many years.

Icemantoo

Thanks

Yes, now I have started investigating single kidney health. 

• Steve.Adam
    JerzyGrrl said:

Congrats!

Sounds super. Funny, I was concerned about how my body was going to handle fluids draining without the drain. Did just fine, though. So will you. 

Getting the drain out was more painful for me than removing the cath (I thought maybe that was a gal thing). The surgeon happily reported that he makes the tubing extra long AND stitches it in so his patients don't inadvertantly take them out. Even so, he's had a patient tell him, "I dunno what happened. It just came out." No danger of that for me. 

The Pain

Hi Jerzy,

My one painful experience was having the tape dressing replaced on my midline sutures last Tuesday.

The nurses who removed the old tape said it was just like getting a 'wax'.  Maybe so, but in my case it was old growth hair coming out. It really hurt.

Apart from that I was very lucky with pain.  The bloating was uncomfortable (very!) rather than painful but I didn't have any issues with trapped gas.

The drain did not hurt coming out. I barely felt it. The catheter was a little uncomfortable coming out but removal felt so 'right' that it was almost pleasant.

Steve.

• Steve.Adam
    donna_lee said:

The "drain"...which one?

Both tend to hurt a bit when they come out, but I think the Foley is worse.

I couldn't believe how much they had stuck and poked into me when I first woke up.  At least everything IV related was plugged into a Central line under my clavicle, which allowed me to move my arms.

Glad you don't go oink like a pig, now.  Get well.

donna_lee

Hi Donna Lee

Me too. I had holes everywhere.  It turns out that my veins are not easy to get into. I can't even find the vein in my left elbow where I usually had blood taken. There is a scar on the surface now. Dunno what they did to it.

My main IV was in my neck.  When I first woke up I had the tube down my throat, just to complete the picture.

Steve.

• Steve.Adam
    edited February 2017 #15
    Jan4you said:

YAAAY!!! And Happy Valentines

YAAAY!!! And Happy Valentines day!

You've been to hell and back, but you are HERE now with us!

Sending you healing hugs,

Jan

Thank you Jan

I really appreciate your hugs and I hope you can feel me returning one now.

I'm glad you're here.

Steve.

• Steve.Adam

Great to hear that you are

Great to hear that you are heading back to the sweet home, how's the pain so far?

Hi lobbyist

No problems with pain. I think I've been lucky.

• sandy23
    sandy23 Member Posts: 143 Member

Hi lobbyist

No problems with pain. I think I've been lucky.

So glad to hear that you are

So glad to hear that you are doing well.

Just out of curiousity, are you guys able to sleep in a regular bed after surgery?  Is is better to sit up or be propped up with pillows?  Just curious if it makes a difference.

• Steve.Adam
    edited February 2017 #18
    sandy23 said:

So glad to hear that you are

So glad to hear that you are doing well.

Just out of curiousity, are you guys able to sleep in a regular bed after surgery?  Is is better to sit up or be propped up with pillows?  Just curious if it makes a difference.

Thanks Sandy

How are things with you?

A normal bed is ok for me.  My problem was that I sleep on my side whch was too uncomfortable just after the operation.  It is ok now, though still not quite right.

But I did not really have a problem even limited to resting on my back.  I was in hospital for 9 days though, and resting all of the time.  I think I was in a state of being half awake for a lot of the time and didn't need much real sleep.  Fortunately I handle boredom well...

Steve.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Old timers advice here

Steve, I don't know what your care plans are but don't jump into anything too fast. Get healthy and be aware of all options before committing to some drs' advice. You've got plenty of time to avoid mistakes. Life will be good.

• DAC677
    DAC677 Member Posts: 59

Thanks Sandy

How are things with you?

A normal bed is ok for me.  My problem was that I sleep on my side whch was too uncomfortable just after the operation.  It is ok now, though still not quite right.

But I did not really have a problem even limited to resting on my back.  I was in hospital for 9 days though, and resting all of the time.  I think I was in a state of being half awake for a lot of the time and didn't need much real sleep.  Fortunately I handle boredom well...

Steve.

Bed

My normal bed worked fine. I liked lots of pillows so i could prop where i wanted and protect from the dog. I was also cold for like two weeks till my body regenerated some blood and i worked off the narcotics. I did ask my wife to rent one of those recliners like old people use to stand them up. I felt lazy for using it but sometimes it was easier to stand up and i moved around more because it was easy to stand......well thats my justification anyways.....it went back to the rental store ofter a month.

• Steve.Adam
    edited February 2017 #21
    Hi Fox

I will be taking your advice.  I feel like I need to rest a lot.  My energy is low.  It's not that I feel tired, just that I don't feel like doing anything active.  I assume that my energy is going in to healing.  Whatever it is, sitting or laying around and napping feels right.  I am free of commitments so I can make the most of it.

Steve.