Lobe left lung removed no chemo or radiation?

antsynancy
antsynancy Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I have nsclc stage 1 and had surgery March 1. A lobectomy removed the lump and there was no lymph involvement or signs of cancer anywhere else. Since the surgery was successful, my doctor said I do not need chemo or radiation. After reading a lot of these postings, it sounds like alot of people had chemo before surgery or atleast after surgery.

My doctor explained that the side effects can out way the results, if all the cancer was removed during surgery.

What have others heard on this.

Also, in regardings to pain, has anyone experienced a burning sensation (nerves?) and a rubing of the ribs and a pulling of not sure what? The weight of my breast seems to pull on the healing of surgery. My doctor told me that it is normal to hurt for 2-3 months after surgery.

What have everyone else experienced?

What type of activity is normal after post op 5 weeks? Driving? Laundry? Shopping? Dishes? Cooking?

Nancy

Comments

• aprisa
    aprisa Member Posts: 1
    Dear Nancy: I also had nsclc stage 1a. Sometimes nerve pain happens after lung surgery (my pain was in the intercostal nerves that run along the edge of the ribs). Pain clinic helped a lot. The doctors also tried neurontin, which also helped. I was able to have my lobes removed with a thoracoscopy (mini thoracotomy). With the smaller incision I was about back to normal activities at 6 weeks. It was a long time to regain my air capacity. I walked and rode bicycle everyday which ultimately helped. It has been two years and there is no evidence of disease. I wish the best for you and hope you will continue to improve. Su
  • believe
    believe Member Posts: 5
    If you had stage one, your doctor is probably correct that you do not need chemo and radiation. In my case-seven years ago-my doctor suggested at least radiation, Ihad stage 3 and further suggested that I enter a clinical trial for both chemo and radiation. I didn't know what to do and agonized to reach a decision. I finlly concluded that if I diddn't do anything and my situation would get worse, I would always wonder that had I gone through the chemo & radiation would I be better. I then concluded that if I went though with chemo and radiation and there was no improvement that I would have the satisfaction of knowing that I did evrything that could possibly be done. It now has been seven years. Concerning the burning sensation, I had that as well. I believe its normal. Remember, when they cut through you to reach your lung, they obviously cut some nerves. To this day I still heve occasional burning sensation but just live with it. It is not a pain but a sensation. If that is the price to pay to continue living, I have no problem with it. After six weeks from my operation I returned to work and a normal life, driving, yard work etc. In fact, I would go and have chemo or radiation in the morning and go to work in the afternoon. One more thing, I'm a male so I did not have the issue of a breast pulling on the surgery. So perhaps in your case that could indeed be the problem but I would not worry so much about it.
  • cooter1952
    cooter1952 Member Posts: 6
    Nancy,my lung was removed in 1992due to cancer. I received radiation treatments because it had spread to the lymph node.I did not take chemo by my choice.the recovery took a few months but it did get better. In 1994,it spread to the lymph nodes in my left neck area and was removed.Again I had radiation but no chemo.Since that time I have done well.The cancer has not reappeared. Hang in there and and email me if you would like more info. cooter1952(Sandra)
  • qkdraw57
    qkdraw57 Member Posts: 2
    Where non-small cell lung cancer is caught at stage 1 with no node involvement, chemo and/or radiation are not standard practice. I had my left lung removed in 1998 at age forty. The cancer was stage 1, with no node involvement - generally lung cancer is much more advanced before it is found which may explain why it appears that alot of the folks posting have had treatment. No chemo or radiation was recommended for me. However, because my brother and mother died of lung cancer shortly before my diagnosis, a friend who worked as an oncology nurse brought a clinical trial to my attention. The trial, which consisted of four chemo treatments, was directed at nsclc stage 1, nodes 0 and is testing whether adjunctive chemo (such as is used with breast cancer) provides higher survival rate, as compared to more extensive monitoring with CT scans (as it turns out I get both - but thats another story!). You may want to discuss clinical trials with your Doctor.

I think I got back into most normal activities within a month. I did adapt certain things - like taking smaller loads of laundry up and down and making small purchases so that I wouldn't have much to carry. Everyone is different. Much depends on general physical health, age ect. Hope this helps.
  • carolynj
    carolynj Member Posts: 61
    Hi Nancy,
    I also hadnsclc stage 1 and had my upper left lobe on my left lung removed on 4/8/02. There was no lymph involvement and surgery removed the cancerous tumor, so I also am not having any chemo or radiation.
    I have not been in pain after the surgery, but do feel some tightness under my left breast. I also had a lumpectomy on my right breast on Jan 14, 2002. During a routine xray, 2 nodules were found in my lungs. I'll be monitored with CT scan every 3 months from now on to check the other nodule in my right lung that was too small to diagnose.
    I've started driving already and resuming normal activities. Laundry, shopping, dishes, and cooking I can do. I just can't go back to walking 3 miles a day yet. I'm only able to walk about 20 minutes a day right now.
    Hope you're getting better every day. Take it one day at a time. Good luck.

Carolyn
  • stonegang
    stonegang Member Posts: 3
    Hi Nancy;
    I am new to this site and was just reading through some of the emails that were posted. I too have had surgery with no other treatment. In July 01 I had the upper right lobe of my lung removed. My cancer was Stage 1 as well. I was also concerned about no "after treatment" and the doctor explained to me that if they are confident they have gotten all the cancer, then there is no need to stress the body with unneeded drugs and/or chemo. I was doing most things except heavy lifting within 4-5 weeks. I still get a burning sensation every once in a while that only lasts for a few seconds. I also am reminded every once in a while if I move a certain way; that someone has been inside my chest with what feels like a crowbar. Again, this only lasts for a few seconds; I could not for the longest time about 8mths; bend over to clean the bathtub. I can do that fine now, but have not told my husband who has taken over that chore.
    Good luck to us both; I have realized how lucky people such as ourselves are; we were able to have surgery and get on with life. Others aren't so lucky.
    Regards and keep healthy
    Gale
  • betty2
    betty2 Member Posts: 91
    Hi, I too had the upper lobe of my left lung removed in 1987, and had neither chemo or radiation I have gotten along just fine. When they did the surgery on me they went through my chest, like when they do heart surgery. It took about 6 mos. to feel half way good. I have a dead spot right in the center of my back that has no feeling what so ever.I'm sure it ws from the surgery.
    I also had another kind of cancer in the top of my right lung 3 1/2 yrs later in 1991 they went in under my right arm and my shoulder froze up from being held up for so long, I had thearpy but the darn thing still doesn't work exactly right. Ijust figure that if thats all I have to put up with I have it made. I think I was driving with in 1 month after each surgery. I started walking right away to to build up what little lungs that I had left. I still walk a couple of miles everyday and lift some weights. I find that helps me a lot. Of course you must do what your Dr. tells you to do.
    I would love to hear how you have progressed since you had your surgery in March.
    Betty Jones jodnns@aol.com
  • betty2
    betty2 Member Posts: 91
    Hi, I too had the upper lobe of my left lung removed in 1987, and had neither chemo or radiation I have gotten along just fine. When they did the surgery on me they went through my chest, like when they do heart surgery. It took about 6 mos. to feel half way good. I have a dead spot right in the center of my back that has no feeling what so ever.I'm sure it ws from the surgery.
    I also had another kind of cancer in the top of my right lung 3 1/2 yrs later in 1991 they went in under my right arm and my shoulder froze up from being held up for so long, I had thearpy but the darn thing still doesn't work exactly right. Ijust figure that if thats all I have to put up with I have it made. I think I was driving with in 1 month after each surgery. I started walking right away to to build up what little lungs that I had left. I still walk a couple of miles everyday and lift some weights. I find that helps me a lot. Of course you must do what your Dr. tells you to do.
    I would love to hear how you have progressed since you had your surgery in March.
    Betty Jones jodnns@aol.com
  • CJT3
    CJT3 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2017 #10
    After lobectomy

I had upper left lobe removed for stage 1B nsc adinocarcinoma and successfully cancer free.  Surgery was VATS.  No further treatment. I am at 8 weeks post op and have some nerve pain, "pulling" just under the ribs, and general discomfort in the area. It has improved slowly, but surely. I am working half days and finally sleeping better. Still hard to wear bras abd some clothing. Just now getting back to low impact exercise. I notice more pain at the end of the day. Using Aleve and Lidocaine patches with fair success. Yoga helps. Feels good to gently stretch.  Pain is worse after eating- especially if I eat a little too much. Seems to "rub against" the surgery area. Will keep my portions smaller- not a bad thing. Might give Thai Chi a try. Have heard it's very helpful. Really important to slow down your pace and take especially good care of yourself. Guilt and emotional part is hard as a former smoker. I know I did this to myself. Nobody deserves this no matter what. Get emotional help if you need it. We all deserve to be happy and healthy no matter what. Never too late to make better choices. Hugs are good. Hugs to all of you fighters!

• JARC
    JARC Member Posts: 1
    Discomfort 4 months after surgery.

I had the left lobe (stage 1) removed on Aug. 31, 2016. They recommended chemo as a precaution. I took one chemo session and it was so dibiltaing for the next two weeks I decided to refrain from the final three chemo sessions. My doctor said he will monitor me every 3 months with blood tests. I do have some discomfort on the left side and also at times have some back pain on the right side. It's been four months since the surgery and I am wondering if this pain (discomfort) is normal. My doctors say it is but I am not convinced. Anyone else have this issue.

Thank you, Joe

• stressed wife
    stressed wife Member Posts: 1
    JARC said:

I had the left lobe (stage 1) removed on Aug. 31, 2016. They recommended chemo as a precaution. I took one chemo session and it was so dibiltaing for the next two weeks I decided to refrain from the final three chemo sessions. My doctor said he will monitor me every 3 months with blood tests. I do have some discomfort on the left side and also at times have some back pain on the right side. It's been four months since the surgery and I am wondering if this pain (discomfort) is normal. My doctors say it is but I am not convinced. Anyone else have this issue.

Thank you, Joe

DISCOMFORT 4 MONTHS AFTER SURGERY

Hi Joe,

Can tell you that your pain is experienced by others. Husband had top left lobe removed in December 2011 & pain/discomfort is getting worse every day. He served in Vietnam Oct 1966 thru Sept 1967, was stationed at Long Bien. We are in the appeal process of his disability claim for Lung Cancer caused by Agent Orange Exposure. Back to your problem......at every doctor visit, we have both told them about the pain. First, everyone told us that it would take maybe a year for everything to heal and the pain would go away. Now, over five years later the pain just gets worse!!! The answer for the cause doesn't help solve his issue of acute pain that happens while sitting, standing, driving ect. My next step is to address the issue with the surgeon that performed the surgery in 2011.

I hope that you do in fact heal and have no further pain and discomfort. Just know that there are others out here that do suffer with this issue.

If there is anyone out there that has been granted or denied disability for Non-Small Cell Carcanomia, Stage 1.....could you please private message or post something your experience.

Thanks

Stressed wife

• rpriceklan
    rpriceklan Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017 #13
    JARC said:

Thank you, Joe

Hi Joe

Hi Joe

I am recovering now from Jan. 17, 2017 surgery. I am 6 weeks post and was still having alot of pain so I had my daughter in law who is a chiroprator check me out. Turns out I had a dislocated rib which makes sense the way they abuse that area. I would go in to someone who does manipulation and have it checked out, after I had her put rib back in place the pain is 150 % better. Jeanna

• Nstigger
    Nstigger Member Posts: 2
    CJT3 said:

After lobectomy

I had upper left lobe removed for stage 1B nsc adinocarcinoma and successfully cancer free.  Surgery was VATS.  No further treatment. I am at 8 weeks post op and have some nerve pain, "pulling" just under the ribs, and general discomfort in the area. It has improved slowly, but surely. I am working half days and finally sleeping better. Still hard to wear bras abd some clothing. Just now getting back to low impact exercise. I notice more pain at the end of the day. Using Aleve and Lidocaine patches with fair success. Yoga helps. Feels good to gently stretch.  Pain is worse after eating- especially if I eat a little too much. Seems to "rub against" the surgery area. Will keep my portions smaller- not a bad thing. Might give Thai Chi a try. Have heard it's very helpful. Really important to slow down your pace and take especially good care of yourself. Guilt and emotional part is hard as a former smoker. I know I did this to myself. Nobody deserves this no matter what. Get emotional help if you need it. We all deserve to be happy and healthy no matter what. Never too late to make better choices. Hugs are good. Hugs to all of you fighters!

35 and Just diagnosed with Colloid Adenocarcinoma

Hello, I found your post after reasearching  of lower left lobe.  I've been staged at 1b and have had all scans clear so far. They will do 2nd surgery to remove lower left lobe, as the only did the first surgery and did a wedge resection because the surgeon had never seen this type of cancer in the lung. My question I guess is do you have this as well? Can you provide any information? It seems to be really rare and very small studies and nothing to go off of for treatment. Looking for any helpful information, I'm a teacher with a wonderful 3 year old boy who has Hemiphilllia, so like the rest of us Im fighting the good fight.

thank you

peace

Nichelle

• Crystal17
    Crystal17 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2017 #15
    CJT3 said:

After lobectomy

I am a former smoker too. Do

I am a former smoker too. Do you have trouble with eating to much even after surgery? I had upper left lobe removed. I have gained alot of weight ..i feel hungry all the time. Do you have this problem ? And yes hugs are good..:)