Myelodysplasia syndome and prostate cancer together

My husband has both prostate cancer and myelodysplasia syndrome. MDP for 5 years, prostate cancer , into his second year. Is anyone experiencing problems with treatment of these 2 cancers?

Comments

• cchqnetman
    cchqnetman Member Posts: 119
    edited January 2017 #2
    Had PC in 2013

Hi,

Sorry to hear your husband has both Prostate Cancer (PC) and Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS).  I had PC and was treated with High Dose Rate Brachytherapy in February and March of 2013.  In 2014 I was diagnosed with MDS.  Several doctors have said it could have been caused by the radiation treatments for PC.  In April of 2016 I had a Stem Cell Transplant to treat the MDS.  During the preparation for the transplant I was advised that it could cause a second cancer.  My PSA has been climbing and the latest test was 8.07.  I have failed the treatment by both the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO) definition (three consecutive PSA rises after a nadir) and the Phoenix definition (a rise by 2 ng/mL or more above the nadir).  I guess no one knows for sure but it seems like I went around in a circle.  Right now I am having problems with falling blood counts, particularly my platelets.  I am not actively looking at salvage therapy because I couldn't have any type of treatment until my blood counts are under control.  My transplant doctor is working on that.

I wish you and your husband the best.

David