What should we wear?

JerzyGrrl
JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member

What did you wear when you went for your MRI?  What about your going-home from the hospital post-surgery?  Then there's the lounge-at-home and early-ventures-into-public outfits.  What's worked for you?

Here's my report from last week of my wore-it-home from the hospital outfit --

Fashion Report: My apres-surgery ensemble is a huge snowman applique fleece faded green sweatshirt, worn over a mid-century-patterned also-faded olive drab baggy long-sleeve tee-shirt, accessorized with a pair of huge beyond-baggy rayon tie-dyed lichen-humus-colored drawstring high-water pants (Note: That's "humus," not "hummus" -- although either color could be similarly yecch). The snowman sweatshirt was a Seriously Ugly Christmas Sweater, until the pants were added.  Now people think the sweatshirt is "cute." The nice thing about the pants is, there's a pocket for the drain, and people are so dazzled (distracted?) by the clothing, they don't even notice the little tube disappearing into the pocket.  Finishing out the look are white compression knee-high stockings, worn under a pair of "I am strong" white-grey-pink-purple sports socks.  I am totally stylin'.  I am also going to wait until dusk to go outside to get the mail: Self respect + not wanting to frighten any small children who might be out and about in the neighborhood. 

When I finally was allowed to take a shower, four days after the surgery, I was concerned I might have to cut off the white compression knee-highs. Nope. Didn't even have to soak 'em off.  Maybe they used teflon threads. 

Comments

• JerzyGrrl
    edited December 2016 #2
    About those sweatpants (and similar waistbands)...

Make sure they have drawstrings. Saggy baggy sweatpants or skirts with wide elastic may be great right off the bat, but if there's no drawstring, you'd better have a boatload of safety pins.  Just sayin'.  Then as your swelling goes down (which -- yes -- it will), you can fine-tune that article of clothing. 

The difference between Monday's and yesterday's wearings of a longish skirt were... surprising. And no drawstring. So far it's a one-safety-pin item of clothing.  That will change. 

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Pictures please

Jerseygirl,

Pictures would help us (your dog looks like Piper our Daisy dog).

Icemantoo

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    We have needed

your sense of humor here for a while. I love your outlook. There have been times in the past where people thought we needed to be serious at all times. They just couldn't joke about having cancer. JG, keep us laughing.

IC2, looks like our Cooper.

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited December 2016 #5
    JerzyGrrl said:

About those sweatpants (and similar waistbands)...

Make sure they have drawstrings. Saggy baggy sweatpants or skirts with wide elastic may be great right off the bat, but if there's no drawstring, you'd better have a boatload of safety pins.  Just sayin'.  Then as your swelling goes down (which -- yes -- it will), you can fine-tune that article of clothing. 

The difference between Monday's and yesterday's wearings of a longish skirt were... surprising. And no drawstring. So far it's a one-safety-pin item of clothing.  That will change. 

What?

You forgot the tiara?

• JerzyGrrl
    edited December 2016 #6

What?

You forgot the tiara?

Dang

I knew I'd forgotten something. Actually, about 15-20 years ago a friend gave me a "portable tiara" so I could always have one with me for when unexpected tiara-appropriate events came up (It folds). I've got it... I'll have to remember that for a future follow up or scan (It is plastic, after all). 

• JerzyGrrl
    edited December 2016 #7
    icemantoo said:

Pictures please

Jerseygirl,

Pictures would help us (your dog looks like Piper our Daisy dog).

Icemantoo

There are NO photos

Of course, there might be video, CCTV and all that. But no photos. They'd have to be accompanied by a warning. At least one. 

• WhatIsLife
    WhatIsLife Member Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2016 #8
    As Seen On TV!

Maybe those people who make Snuggies are missing a new market here - Snuggies for Kidney Cancer patients! They could make them with little kidneys on them - maybe call them Kidggies? Much more stylish than the leopard print:

Snuggie As Seen On TV

There again, maybe notFoot in Mouth

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Wow J-grrl"

you my dear, at a real trendsetter!  In case you can't find that tiara at least get one of those "fascinators".  They have some really cute ones at Party City & Michaels, all Christmasy theme

Whew, the visual of you out & about in that get up gives me the giggles.  Heck, I don't even know what you look like, but I can only imagine.  Too funny.  Haha. 

Donna~

• JerzyGrrl
    foxhd said:

We have needed

your sense of humor here for a while. I love your outlook. There have been times in the past where people thought we needed to be serious at all times. They just couldn't joke about having cancer. JG, keep us laughing.

IC2, looks like our Cooper.

Considering the long term survival rate...

Thanks, Fox --

Considering the long term survival rate for LIFE is 0%, I have no clue how I'd survive without humor. I don't know who first said, "Some day we're going to laugh about this, so we might as well laugh about this now," but it works for me. Life is SO crazy!

The last two things my father said to me at the end of his life were one-liners, so I hold him up as an example (although his delivery timing was kind of off).  I hope I never lose my sense of humor, either. 

Of course, I can be serious when necessary and I hope I have decent enough judgement to know when that is.  But in the meantime...?!

• JerzyGrrl
    hardo718 said:

Wow J-grrl"

you my dear, at a real trendsetter!  In case you can't find that tiara at least get one of those "fascinators".  They have some really cute ones at Party City & Michaels, all Christmasy theme

Whew, the visual of you out & about in that get up gives me the giggles.  Heck, I don't even know what you look like, but I can only imagine.  Too funny.  Haha. 

Donna~

I'm already ahead of you there

Donna --

I have a Christmas fascinator that I made and rather enjoy. I always get comments on it when I wear it out in public. Generally of the good kind. Either folks like it, or they're just scared what might happen if they set me off Surprised .

For those wondering, it's poinsettias, just a few "flowers" and leaves (Yeah, I know they're all leaves, but hey). It's not too weird -- no Santas, Christmas trees, or Rudolph with a light up nose.

Yeah, I make fascinators.

• JerzyGrrl
    edited December 2016 #12

As Seen On TV!

Maybe those people who make Snuggies are missing a new market here - Snuggies for Kidney Cancer patients! They could make them with little kidneys on them - maybe call them Kidggies? Much more stylish than the leopard print:

Snuggie As Seen On TV

There again, maybe notFoot in Mouth

I have a DIY Snuggie...

...It's called a blanket.

Not sure I could've navigated with something down to my ankles post surgery. Might have been entertaining to watch, but probably not. 

But a blanket with a "Hello Kidney" pattern? THAT I'd consider. Definitely!

http://patholocide.blogspot.com/2010/11/hello-kidneybladder.html

Although "Hello Kidney" tees and snack cakes have already been made.

http://www.diaryofamadhausfrau.com/2011/04/hello-kidney-cake-pops.html

• mlph4021
    mlph4021 Member Posts: 76 Member
    edited December 2016 #13
    I was a vision

In the biggest, baggiest, did you actually steal these from grandma sweatpants that you could ever find. I have no idea where my mom bought them and they are truly the ugliest I have ever seen. I also could not imagine having worn anything else home. She bought me 2 pairs and I wore those every day for the first week. They were a godsend.