Thinking about food

Steve.Adam
Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member

I've been thinking about food a lot lately. I have a recurring daydream about making some pies. 

The first is an apple pie. I won't say much about that because it is pretty basic. When I was a kid my mother and grandmothers made great apple pies. Apple pies and slices from local bakery shops were also quite good. But these days they are just horrible. The only way to get a good one is to make it yourself.  I was just starting to learn how to make them when I stopped eating carbohydrates early last year. Now I've decided to hell with it. I will take it up again even if I have to give most of them away.

The other one I want to make is a steak and kidney pie, of sorts.

I would love to hear your opinions or reactions.

First of all I will make a thickish bone broth by boiling some beef bones and a couple of onions for 16 hours or so. I might even reduce it a bit more after removing the bones.

I will use this broth to cook some chopped up lamb hearts (or other meat) and ox kidney. I will add some carrot and shelled peas about 10 minutes before it comes off the heat. I will also add some worcestershire sauce to the mix while cooking it. I might add a liitle bacon too, but perhaps that is too decadent.

For the pastry I will try to find some stone ground wholemeal flour, perhaps of an old wheat variety like spelt.

The rest should be easy if the flour is ok to work with.

I'm not great with pastry so advice is welcome. (I'm thinking short pastry made with butter.)

I imagine eating it cold... In fact, I am imagining it right now!

Steve.

Comments

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    Steak and Kidney Pie

1lb Cubed beef (Not lambs hearts - give them to the dog)

1/4 Trimmed and chopped Beef Kidneys (you really dont want the fatty bits around the Kidneys - theyre a bit like eating leather) a Butcher should be able to trim them for you.Filling includes mushrooms, onions and beer (guiness works well but my wife prefers to steal mine.)

Pastry should be flakey

Serve hot with gravy, mashed spuds and something green like spinach, chard or cale.

I wouldnt fancy it cold and, being from London, its one of my favourite meals.

• Footstomper
    edited November 2016 #3

Steak and Kidney Pie

1lb Cubed beef (Not lambs hearts - give them to the dog)

1/4 Trimmed and chopped Beef Kidneys (you really dont want the fatty bits around the Kidneys - theyre a bit like eating leather) a Butcher should be able to trim them for you.Filling includes mushrooms, onions and beer (guiness works well but my wife prefers to steal mine.)

Pastry should be flakey

Serve hot with gravy, mashed spuds and something green like spinach, chard or cale.

I wouldnt fancy it cold and, being from London, its one of my favourite meals.

Kate and Sidley Pie II (The Recipie)

When my Mrs is cooking she always like to have a good recipe at her side which she always ignores. The is her favourite recipe to ignore, from the very wonderful Delia Smith.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/british/mums-steak-and-kidney-plate-pie

Two things. Delia says to cut the Kidneys minutely. I like mine quartered, but if you're unfamiliar with the texture you might want to follow the advice.

Be careful with the Worcestershire Sauce, it could overwhelm the taste. In fact just use the beer, or a dry Red Wine. You could also add a little Marmite.

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited November 2016 #4
    Thanks Stomper

I don't know how to make flakey pastry and don't want to use the commercial stuff. I could always learn, of course. My sister says it's too much trouble.

I'll take your advice and swap the Worcestershire for Guinness. 

I think I'll take Delia's advice about chopping the kidneys finer. The main reason is that nobody I know eats offal. If it's a little disguised then maybe they'll just enjoy the taste without thinking too much.

• Footstomper
    edited November 2016 #5

Thanks Stomper

I don't know how to make flakey pastry and don't want to use the commercial stuff. I could always learn, of course. My sister says it's too much trouble.

I'll take your advice and swap the Worcestershire for Guinness. 

I think I'll take Delia's advice about chopping the kidneys finer. The main reason is that nobody I know eats offal. If it's a little disguised then maybe they'll just enjoy the taste without thinking too much.

Notice

Delia doesnt make flakey pastry, I dont think. Dont buy it ready made (if you live in the States - its full of sugar and chemicals.).

You're probably right about chopping it finer. I like the texture, which I think complements the mushrooms.

Enjoy: If you want to go for an even more succulent meal, you could always try Steak and Kidney pudding. (See Delia's recipe). Takes hours tho'