Zarxio

For the second time in a row, my third cycle has been postponed due to low Neutrophils.   They are now at .8.  

Today the onc ordered a Zarxio shot to help build them up.  I was told it's similar to Nuepogen and that I could expect side effects.  

I believe I am feeling it now. Bone pain and even nausea.  I am scheduled to go back this Thursday and was told that the Zarxio should by then bring my neutrophils back up.  

Does anyone have any experience with this medication?

Thanks, 

PP55

Comments

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    Bone Pain

Try taking Claratin before you take the Zarxio. I know I was told about the Claratin when getting the Neulasta in preparation for SCT and reminded about it when getting the Neuprogen. I really did help avoid most, if not all, of the bone pain. I took it about 30 mins before getting the neulasta/neuprogen.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited November 2016 #3
    Drug

Patty,

I looked up Zarxio, which was just approved in 2015. It is virtually identical to the other WBC colony stimulators, and the most common side effect is listed as the usual bone pain.

Linda's advice is probably the best available. On Chemo I was eating Loritabs, so I was fortunate that not much of anything hurt. If you take otc  pain meds, avoid any with Tylenol, to avoid additional liver stress.

max

• PeprmntPat55
    PeprmntPat55 Member Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2016 #4
    Claritin

Thank you Lindary and Max.  I don't suppose it helps to take the Claritin after the fact???

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member

Claritin

Thank you Lindary and Max.  I don't suppose it helps to take the Claritin after the fact???

Claritn

When I was first told of this it was after the shot. I tried taking it anyway. It might have helped a bit but it really did the trick when I took it before the shot.