Metastasis to liver - treatment options

124»

Comments

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    dancer2 and folfiri

Yes dancer2 we should keep in touch, as we will surely have similar side effects.  Another person was kind enough to respond to a diff post I made wondering how one knows whether the CRC has been reduced, as did not show in CT scan and CEA markers were not off much.  His wife had poor response to folfox, but has responded to folfiri - after 9 mos - tumour reduction in second CT scan she had, so that was promising - need that, because as you say, stress is high on the list of issues, especially when you don't feel so well.  Will keep in touch. Wishing you the best.

• djduros1
    djduros1 Member Posts: 1
    dancer2 said:

liver mets

i started a session but only two responded. I was diagnosed in oct of 15 with a colon tumor (cancer) and one lesion in liver and two tiny spots one in each lobe...liver spot was ablated out the following april and was told by the radiologist it was successful and no new spots anywhere and that was just at the end of may of 2016. a month later had to have pt/ct scan for my oncologist and he just told me my liver glowed and i now have six new tiny spots in the lungs and four in the liver and said come back in 3 months. i, of course, want them out and since the oncologist said nothing about seeing anyone else i went back to the radiologist who explained matters to me and his suggestion was the thereasphere procedure which you can look up. however, he did not say he talked with my oncologist or not so i went back to my colon surgeon and she basically told me that metastisized cancer is in the blood and one needs chemo and gave me a card for another doctor ( and she recommends no one) and i see that doc tomorrow. at this point in my journey i have come to realize we are all basically alone, so be on top of it. I have had two doctors tell me they are baffeled why my onc said what he did. one told me to go see a certain doc at the mayo in minnesota if i wanted to hear from the best. my original doc at least told me to go see what this local doc has to say...don't ask about prognosis, it will play with  your mind. as you can tell from this site, many live with it and deal with it as it comes.........it's getting a good doctor imho. this is a great site and full of good, helpful information.

stg 4 cc 2013in

I, too, have been going thru this since 2013.  Today went for 2nd opinion at cancer treatment centers in Chicago and after petscan and MRI found its in liver and lungs and in bloodstream as my bones are affected too.  Going on new chemo drug lonsurf in hopes the tumors will stop growing.  They also have holistic meds im taking to keep immune up.  I have to live a long life and this better work.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited October 2016 #64
    djduros1 said:

stg 4 cc 2013in

I, too, have been going thru this since 2013.  Today went for 2nd opinion at cancer treatment centers in Chicago and after petscan and MRI found its in liver and lungs and in bloodstream as my bones are affected too.  Going on new chemo drug lonsurf in hopes the tumors will stop growing.  They also have holistic meds im taking to keep immune up.  I have to live a long life and this better work.

Welcome djduros1

Sorry to hear of your struggles and spread of Cancer cells. 

I wish too, for you to live that long life. 

SUE

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    Bellen said:

Folfiri + avastin

Hello dancer2 and all - It seems like you are having very similar chemo to me - but I see they have added granix, which I assume is for your rbc - I did not have this. Had one treatment so far, which Onco said he scaled back to see how I would be - took anti-nausea for 3 days. One week after chemo, I got spasms near belly button (5 yrs ago diagnosed with small int stricture due to pelvic rad had for anal cancer 11 yrs ago - get partial blockages, so for past yrs have taken Miralax daily due to diet I follow).  I think what happened was everything ran thru me day of chemo and then a bit for next few days, so didn't take anything - then all of a sudden constipation - started the Miralax again, but it is not quick.  I really need to ask about laxative that works quickly, that someone like me with intestinal stricture can take - can't take laxative that blocks.  Need this discussion with Onco desperately next visit.  So I have a small int stricture and also probably a stricture where the CRC is - sucks!  Also had mouthsores and called to get a diff mouthwash - gave me Rx that swish and swallow - caused worst acid ever had all way through esophagus down into stomach.  Of course it was late Friday and can't even talk to Cancer Center - closed from 4 pm until Tues because of holiday. So have had 2 awful, awful days.  Trying to keep my weight on, but couldn't eat for few days. And to top it off - this is only my first treatment.  Hope I can get through this, and am able to find out what to take to feel the best I can.  Also take tremazepam sleeping pill, which gives me at least 6 hrs of sleep.  Can't seem to sleep without it, but know sleep is important, so take it.  Best to all, and wishing you well dancer2 with your treatment.  Let's keep in touch, as I think our cancer treatment is very similar right now.

Probiotics for constipation

Hi Bellen,

Just wondering if you take a probiotic pill? I never remember to eat high fiber foods during times when I know I'll get constipated, but taking a probiotics pill, which adds good bacteria into the digestive system, makes up for it. Or eat yogurt with live & active bacteria, or drink kefir, a yogurt type drink. You can find probiotics in the cold section at health food stores. There are expensive & cheap ones and they all work the same in my experience. 

And of course, drink lots of water! :)

• dancer2
    dancer2 Member Posts: 49
    Bellen said:

dancer2 and folfiri

Yes dancer2 we should keep in touch, as we will surely have similar side effects.  Another person was kind enough to respond to a diff post I made wondering how one knows whether the CRC has been reduced, as did not show in CT scan and CEA markers were not off much.  His wife had poor response to folfox, but has responded to folfiri - after 9 mos - tumour reduction in second CT scan she had, so that was promising - need that, because as you say, stress is high on the list of issues, especially when you don't feel so well.  Will keep in touch. Wishing you the best.

From my doctor i  will get a

From my doctor i  will get a scan after three months of treatment which should put it  at the end of Nov....thereabouts...but then i go back on chemo for another three months of bi monthly treatments for a total of 12 sessions.....guess it all depends on what shows up on the scans.....she doesn't not concern herself with the CEA marker, it's a tool but it varies as people with no cancer can have that marker show up.....scans are it...........she seems upbeat about it all, which is better than the alternative.....and i try  not think to much and go about my business when i can.....eat well. Take probiotics, eat a little really healthy yogurt and as another member suggested 'kefir'.....walmart has a good brand and i like the strawberry one.....it's a fermented probiotic drink and very good for one.....do whatever it takes to stay regular.........I danced last night, worked up a great sweat, came home had a glass of wine ( eeek, sorry, it helps me get through this) but this is my eleven days off..............so i do try to act as normal as i can....i am going to make some liver pate as she suggested...probably with chicken livers or maybe calf liver, put in a blender with cream cheese and she mentioned cognac or a sweet thick sherry.....sounds good, I'll let you know.............I am thinking of asking not to have the steroid, but her nurse is very good and has been an oncologist nurse for twelve  years and i like to get her thoughts....their nausea meds just don't help me.....ginger drops, tums, or crackers and peanut butter........gads, i have gained weight.....and that is because whenever that empty burn feeling comes on a good ole half a piece of bread works wonders....and i normally don't eat bread as much as i love it........goes right to the uhum............oatmeal seems to work in the morn when one feels like actually making it and you don't need to eat but a little......filling, healthy and does help.  My prayers are with you..........take care.....

• Bellen
    edited October 2016 #67
    Chemo delay - low WBC

Hello all - Well drove 2 hrs each way to have my chemo - bloodwork concern with too low white blood cells - said canceling chemo for this week - will have next week, hopefully they will recoup themselves to a good level.  Said there is something that helps, but costs $2000 per "shot?" - not covered.  So went home concerned and a little frustrated, as this happened from my first "scaled back" treatment - wonder if the week prior to 1st chemo had anything to do with it - had colonoscopy and port surgery in same week - lost 5 lbs, had a partial blockage from pain meds given after port, etc.   And then, after 1st chemo everything ran through me, then 3 days later had constipation - got another partial blockage last week, which wore me out for some days.  Talked to dr today - said next chemo take my usual Restoralax (miralax) twice day and also sennakot with stool softener if I get constipated, as the Restoralax is just not fast acting enough, which hopefully will prevent future issues in this area. I just knew I would have a problem with this, as I suffer partial blockages from small bowel stricture and have had chronic constipation from this and the diet I follow.  I guess there is nothing I can do, but wait until next week. Hi to all. Only thing is feeling better than I probably would have......

• Bellen
    edited October 2016 #68
    Low WBC - chemo delay

Hi Grace - Yes, I will be inquiring about this shot and coverage for it.  I am not sure if they want to see if low WBC is going to be a problem for me.  My regular Onco was away and I saw someone else, and we didn't really discuss what would happen if my WBC was still low.  Going to make some phone calls tomorrow. Thanks for info and support.  Best to you.

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Low WBC

Sorry you are having these problems and that chemo had to be delayed. I had low  white  blood cell counts  when I was on the FOLFOX plus Avastin and  received several Neupogen (filgrastim) shots to stimulate  the bone marrow to increase  production of white blood cells. I wonder if that's  the "shot" your doc talked about. My shots were billed at $1243.00, but insurance allowed and paid, and the  hospital accepted, a much smaller amount, and my copay  was  $95.04 per shot. The shots did the job and chemo  was resumed.  You said  the shots weren't covered by your insurance.  If that is what  your doctor was referring to, you may be able to get some assistance from Amgen, the company who makes Neupogen.  They have a  "first step" program to help cover the cost and it might be worth looking into to see if you qualify.  Here's a link (you may have to copy and paste it) with info on the program.: https://amgenfirststep.com/

I hope  things go more smoothly for you from now on.

Grace