Just diagnosed and need info on what to expect from Chemo treatment

mcaguth
mcaguth Member Posts: 5

Hi:

My name is Joanne. I will be starting Chemo next week and do not have any idea of what to expect. Has anyone continued workig while going through treatment? Did you use FMLA for your off days. Any information from your experiences would really help.

Thanks

Comments

• jorola
    jorola Member Posts: 243 Member
    Sorry you are going through this

The type of treatment can really vary. It would also be helpful to know what type of lung cancer and what stage.

I can tell you my husband had squamous stage 3b and had 3 rounds of chemo over about 4 weeks. He tolerated it very well. He was not working due to another health condition. But I can tell you although he did not vomit, he was tired and it was acculumative and also right after the treatment he was a little...well drunk like. So even if he did not have the other condition he would not have been able to work anyway. He was on cisplatin and etoposide by the way.

I know that is not much of an answer but  am sure others will ad their stories. Againif you can tell us a bit more it will help.

Oh and remember to drink LOTS of water!

• caretothepeople
    caretothepeople Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2016 #3
    Hi Joanne, and welcome. As

Hi Joanne, and welcome. As mentioned, treatment will look different depending on the stage and type of lung cancer. It can help to have pre-treatment meeting with your doctor to learn about what to expect and have the chance to ask questions like:

• What are the names of the drugs, and how will they be given?

• What should I do to get ready for treatment?
    • What are the possible side effects of each medication? What side effects or problems should I watch for?

• What can be done to lessen these side effects?

• Should I change what I eat or make other lifestyle changes? Are there any limits on what I can do?
    • How often will I need to visit the doctor to receive the therapy, and how long will each visit take?

• Will I be able to go to and return from this treatment on my own, or should I arrange to have assistance?

• What are the recommendations for people who take their medication at home?

• What will these medications cost me? Are there less expensive options that work as well?

If you give them a call, maybe the treatment center or doctorhas printed or digital information about what to expect from chemo and ways to prepare that they can send you before next week.

There are also many great informational resources out there about how to prepare for chemothrapy. If you google "What to Expect When Having Chemotherapy" from ASCO, you'll find lots of helpful info there. 

• caretothepeople
    caretothepeople Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2016 #4
    Another resource

Hi Joanne, I also wanted to pass along Cancer And Careers. They are an organization that helps people living through cancer. I attended one their webinars about working while going through treatment and they provided a lot of information about FLMA.

• mcaguth
    edited September 2016 #5
    jorola said:

Sorry you are going through this

The type of treatment can really vary. It would also be helpful to know what type of lung cancer and what stage.

I can tell you my husband had squamous stage 3b and had 3 rounds of chemo over about 4 weeks. He tolerated it very well. He was not working due to another health condition. But I can tell you although he did not vomit, he was tired and it was acculumative and also right after the treatment he was a little...well drunk like. So even if he did not have the other condition he would not have been able to work anyway. He was on cisplatin and etoposide by the way.

I know that is not much of an answer but  am sure others will ad their stories. Againif you can tell us a bit more it will help.

Oh and remember to drink LOTS of water!

Hi:

Hi:

Thanks so much for responding. I have adrenocarcinoma stage 4. i do not know what Chemo med's i will be on. I find out tomorrow. I have heard fatigue is a real issue. I wil come back with the med cmbo as soon as I learned something.

• mcaguth
    edited September 2016 #6

Hi Joanne, and welcome. As

Hi Joanne, and welcome. As mentioned, treatment will look different depending on the stage and type of lung cancer. It can help to have pre-treatment meeting with your doctor to learn about what to expect and have the chance to ask questions like:

• What are the names of the drugs, and how will they be given?

• What should I do to get ready for treatment?
    • What are the possible side effects of each medication? What side effects or problems should I watch for?

• What can be done to lessen these side effects?

• Should I change what I eat or make other lifestyle changes? Are there any limits on what I can do?
    • How often will I need to visit the doctor to receive the therapy, and how long will each visit take?

• Will I be able to go to and return from this treatment on my own, or should I arrange to have assistance?

• What are the recommendations for people who take their medication at home?

• What will these medications cost me? Are there less expensive options that work as well?

If you give them a call, maybe the treatment center or doctorhas printed or digital information about what to expect from chemo and ways to prepare that they can send you before next week.

There are also many great informational resources out there about how to prepare for chemothrapy. If you google "What to Expect When Having Chemotherapy" from ASCO, you'll find lots of helpful info there. 

Hi:

Hi:

All great questions that I should be asking. I am somewhat alone going through this. I printed this post out so I can remember all the ?'s to ask.

• mcaguth

Another resource

Hi Joanne, I also wanted to pass along Cancer And Careers. They are an organization that helps people living through cancer. I attended one their webinars about working while going through treatment and they provided a lot of information about FLMA.

Thanks. I did not know about

Thanks. I did not know about this resource.I will google it and see if i can either attend locally or maybe online.

• GloriaA
    GloriaA Member Posts: 2
    Hi Joanne

ive had three different chemo combo treatments for lung cancer and they each had totally different side affects.....some not being bad at all. So it will depend on the drugs.

• niecie70
    niecie70 Member Posts: 2
    Ho Joanne, I think it depends

Ho Joanne, I think it depends on what type of chemo drugs you are given for your disease.  I am at stage 4 adenocarcinoma lung cancer and have been given 2 soon to be three rounds of chemo consisitng of cisplatin and alimta, which causes nausea and vomitting for the first three days and constipation also leaving me very tired. 

I have heard of some people having treatments and go to work afterwards but I'm not sure of the chemo regimen they were given.

Also I use Nioxin products for my hair right after my treatments and every week or week in a half and have not lost any hair, in fact my hair has gotten thicker, just fyi.

• Jason Kim
    Jason Kim Member Posts: 2
    So sorry to know you have to

So sorry to know you have to go through the worst. Chemo sucks, but it seems to be working for a long time now. After chemotherapy my father had so many side effects like headache, body pain and vomiting. These all are common side-effects after chemo. He started using hemp oil after his treatment, which helped him recover fast and in next few weeks realized that any pain he may have had is no longer there or not as intense. You can add hemp oil in your daily meal, juices or even in salads too when you're out of olive oil. It tastes quite nutty and crispy and google says it is powerhouse of nutrition when it comes to healthy fats. We found Charlotte's web hemp oil effective for my father - no side effects. I suggest you to try some reputed brand who have complete control over their growing and manufacturing process. I wish you health, happiness and all good things in your life.

• Cancerresource@60
    Cancerresource@60 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2016 #11
    Lung stage 4 cancer I worked full time through it all

I am so new at this not sure how my message will work. I had stage 4 lung cancer - 8 months of chemo plus radiation. I did work FT and it was like robotic just did what i had to do. I am blessed with a job that allowed for a flexible schedule so it worked. When/If my lung cancer comes back (expected) I do not think I could do this again. It took a lot of my essential energy out forever but thats also OK. 

• lung cancer

hope my message got thru

• working while in RX

yes i did FT work just cus I need insurance coverage. It was niot easy but just what neded to do it. The hard part was months afterwards with fatigue in my situation and a few other changes in my physiology (bowel/chest radiation).