An Update

Hi all - thought I'd check in plus give an update of how treatment is going. Tomorrow I start my final cycle of chemo. This being Carboplatin, Paclitaxel and Cetuximab. I'm infused every Thursday and tomorrow will be number 21 of 24.

I hate to say it but the Carbo has been tough. My body has developed a dislike for it and it is common during the infusion to develop a rash all over the body. This is now countered with large doses of antihistamine and steroid. Not much fun but I need to finish the cycle. Bar the reaction there are the usual after effects such as rash, fatigue and nausea. I've noticed with the fatigue the more walking I do the less harsh it is.

I'm also taking a weekly vitamin c infusion which I believe helps reduce the toxiticy of the chemo. It is also helping my immune system. What is not clear is what happens after chemo 24. I have a PET scan booked but there is talk of maintainence chemo. Has anyone here experienced this? There is also talk of Keytruda but my oncologist feels we don't need that just that. Again, has anyone here experienced Keytruda?

To recap I was diagnosed with stage 3 Head & Neck in 2013. Surgery, radio and chemo put me in remission until April 2106 whereby the disease has advance to stage 4. Tumours were located in my lower back, lung, liver, kidney and right shoulder.

Finally, to indicate how far I've come attached is a recent scan. The right hand one was taken in April while the left hand one in July of this year. I guess the message here is keep fighting!

Scan

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    edited September 2016 #2
    Just keep saying to yourself....

"one more cycle"...."one more cycle"....

As for the Keytruda....it was just ok'd here in the US by the FDA for recurrent HNC....so it passed all the clinicals.  I don't know what they're thinking in terms of maintenance chemo....is it in pill form?  Like one week on and one week off?  The oncologist will tell you when the time comes.  For now, you know the drill....one day at a time, one foot in front of the other....that's the only way to get through this part of the treatment.  Sending prayers and keeping you tucked in my pocket. 

p

• Tmclaren
    Tmclaren Member Posts: 15
    Treatments

Keep up the fight best wishes to you 

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Only a few more cycles left

Sounds like you have a good attitude. Fingers crossed that treatment continues to help and new strides in treatment are made every day.

Barb K

• Raddude
    Raddude Member Posts: 84
    keep pounding

You are so close, best to you!

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    good luck from Oregon

dunedintech,

Wishing you my best with hope your additional treatments do the trick.

Are you still in Singapore?  I reviewed my old posts with you and we had some good ones.

Hang in there and just do whatever it takes to get through.

Matt

• dygit
    dygit Member Posts: 40 Member

Just keep saying to yourself....

"one more cycle"...."one more cycle"....

As for the Keytruda....it was just ok'd here in the US by the FDA for recurrent HNC....so it passed all the clinicals.  I don't know what they're thinking in terms of maintenance chemo....is it in pill form?  Like one week on and one week off?  The oncologist will tell you when the time comes.  For now, you know the drill....one day at a time, one foot in front of the other....that's the only way to get through this part of the treatment.  Sending prayers and keeping you tucked in my pocket. 

p

Keytruda

My medical oncologist mentioned it to me today if my mass did not diminish in the near future or as a future idea if cancer recurs. I believe it is the drug that Jimmy Carter used and he had total remission. The side effects seem to be milder (in a healthy person) than chemo. Website is https://www.keytruda.com/

• dunedintech
    dunedintech Member Posts: 90
    edited September 2016 #8
    Singapore

Thanks all for the support / thoughts. Very much appreciated!

Matt, yes still based in Singapore. 

Phrannie, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by maintainence chemo. No mention of pills. They're proving elusive on this one when we ask. I'll know more soon though. 

Have a good week all.