moving forward with life

traci43
traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member

So after 9 years with the last two in remission, I made the decision and had my port removed yesterday!  Hurray.  I had promised myself if I hit two years, I would do it and it's gone.  Everyone at the hospital was so surprised that I had my little port for nine years.  Even more amazing, the doctor that discussed the procedure's risks with me was the same doctor that put it in.  He was going to remove it, but got busy with another patient.   One of the nurses that helped with the procedure was also there 9 years ago, amazing.  There have been times I dogged my HMO, but overall they have been great through all this.

I have decided that I need to move on with life as though the cancer won't recur and have applied for a promotion at work.  I figured that if I hadn't gotten sick, I would be a supervisor already, and quite possibly getting ready for the manager level.  Now I know I don't want to be a manager--too much work and stress--but I'm ready for being a supervisor. I had been looking at retiring in two years, but if I get the promotion it will probably be closer to 5 years.

I'm also really working at losing my excess weight.  I want to be able to do as much as possible and keep up with my husband. Wink

It's exciting and a bit scary, but I'm ready for it!  Traci

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Hooray

Hooray

Hooray in Greek:     ζήτω, ουρά
    Hooray in Chinese:   好哇; 万岁 叫好声; 喝彩声; 万岁
    Hooray in Arabic:    هتاف, ابتهاج!, ياهو! (صيحة تستخدم للتعبير عن الإثارة أو التشجيع) هتاف, ابتهاج!, صيحة تستخدم للتعبير عن الإثارة أو التشجيع هتاف, ابتهاج!, تشجيع! صيحة تستخدم للتعبير عن الإثارة, التشجيع بأصوات عالية
    Hooray in Spanish:  ¡hurra!, ¡viva! (vitoreo, aclamación) hurra, vitoreo, aclamación ¡hurra!
    Hooray in Russian:   ура кричать 'ура!'
    Hooray in Dutch:     hoera! uitroep van waardering, blijdschap hoera, toejuichen
    Hooray in Portuguese:   viva!, hurra! grito de vitória expressar alegria ou aprovação
    Hooray in Turkish:   hurra, yaşa, yaşasın
    Hooray in Italian:   hurrà! evviva! acclamare
    Hooray in French:   hourra! pousser des hourras
    Hooray in German:   Hurra! (Ausruf der Begeisterung) hurra, begeistert zurufen
    Hooray in Japanese:   フレー, ガンバレ(興奮または応援に使う) 喝采; 応援, 声援 応援する; 声援を送る; 喝采を送る
    Hooray in Hebrew:   הידד! קריאת הידד להריע
    Hooray in Swedish:  hurra! hurrarop hurra

And a big whopping HOOOOOO RAYYYY in Johntalk

Best wishes,

John

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    edited August 2016 #3
    Woo hoo!

How exciting! 

I can't believe you've had your port for nine years. Thats a crazy long time. I'm sure it has become quite a part of you, and you will probably be looking for it when you gaze in the mirror. 

I wish you the best as you move forward with LIFE. A promotion woujld be the perfect way to start, and I wish you all the luck in the world. 

I hope you'll pop back here on occasion. It is always good to hear from you, and see that lovely wedding picture. 

Cyber hugs!

SUE   (miss so much being able to post my Happy Dancing Man. I would have posted several here, for you)

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    You go girl!!! Hooray for

You go girl!!! Hooray for living life to the fullest and living as if we've never had this diagnosis! And best of luck with your promotion!!!

Jan

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,289 Member
    It feels good to get that

It feels good to get that port out, eh? I'm happy you get to focus on other stuff, Traci, I'm feeling some of that myself, but I realize, for me, the things I've gone through have changed me some, and are never going to be very far from my conciousness, there are too many reminders out there, like all the cancer ads on tv and the net. I'll just be satisfied if I can let it be for longer periods of time, leaving be to focus on the other things in life. Good luck with the promotion and all the things you want to achieve, your certainly entitled to all the breaks that can come your way......................................Dave

• traci43
    edited August 2016 #6
    John23 said:

Hooray

Hooray

Hooray in Greek:     ζήτω, ουρά
    Hooray in Chinese:   好哇; 万岁 叫好声; 喝彩声; 万岁
    Hooray in Arabic:    هتاف, ابتهاج!, ياهو! (صيحة تستخدم للتعبير عن الإثارة أو التشجيع) هتاف, ابتهاج!, صيحة تستخدم للتعبير عن الإثارة أو التشجيع هتاف, ابتهاج!, تشجيع! صيحة تستخدم للتعبير عن الإثارة, التشجيع بأصوات عالية
    Hooray in Spanish:  ¡hurra!, ¡viva! (vitoreo, aclamación) hurra, vitoreo, aclamación ¡hurra!
    Hooray in Russian:   ура кричать 'ура!'
    Hooray in Dutch:     hoera! uitroep van waardering, blijdschap hoera, toejuichen
    Hooray in Portuguese:   viva!, hurra! grito de vitória expressar alegria ou aprovação
    Hooray in Turkish:   hurra, yaşa, yaşasın
    Hooray in Italian:   hurrà! evviva! acclamare
    Hooray in French:   hourra! pousser des hourras
    Hooray in German:   Hurra! (Ausruf der Begeisterung) hurra, begeistert zurufen
    Hooray in Japanese:   フレー, ガンバレ(興奮または応援に使う) 喝采; 応援, 声援 応援する; 声援を送る; 喝采を送る
    Hooray in Hebrew:   הידד! קריאת הידד להריע
    Hooray in Swedish:  hurra! hurrarop hurra

And a big whopping HOOOOOO RAYYYY in Johntalk

Best wishes,

John

Love this!

Thanks John!  I love this and am going to steal this to use in the future, mostly on FB.  Traci

• traci43
    Trubrit said:

Woo hoo!

How exciting! 

I can't believe you've had your port for nine years. Thats a crazy long time. I'm sure it has become quite a part of you, and you will probably be looking for it when you gaze in the mirror. 

I wish you the best as you move forward with LIFE. A promotion woujld be the perfect way to start, and I wish you all the luck in the world. 

I hope you'll pop back here on occasion. It is always good to hear from you, and see that lovely wedding picture. 

Cyber hugs!

SUE   (miss so much being able to post my Happy Dancing Man. I would have posted several here, for you)

Dancing man in my head

So he may not be present here, but I remember seeing him so he's playing in my head.  I will definitely still be present here.  While I am looking forward, I still come by to say hi and to see what's going on and help out where I can.  Traci

• traci43
    edited August 2016 #8
    JanJan63 said:

You go girl!!! Hooray for

You go girl!!! Hooray for living life to the fullest and living as if we've never had this diagnosis! And best of luck with your promotion!!!

Jan

thanks!

Thanks Jan!  A little nervous about the promotion but I'm going to do it anyway. Laughing  That is if I'm offered a position.  Traci

• traci43

It feels good to get that

It feels good to get that port out, eh? I'm happy you get to focus on other stuff, Traci, I'm feeling some of that myself, but I realize, for me, the things I've gone through have changed me some, and are never going to be very far from my conciousness, there are too many reminders out there, like all the cancer ads on tv and the net. I'll just be satisfied if I can let it be for longer periods of time, leaving be to focus on the other things in life. Good luck with the promotion and all the things you want to achieve, your certainly entitled to all the breaks that can come your way......................................Dave

I know how you feel

Until my last surgery I was never in remission for even a year, so it's always there in the back of my mind.  Seeing something or a memory will trigger the fear that it will come back.  I'm not sure it ever goes away.  I too am different now.  I've got neuropathy and a colostomy so there are physical reminders and I cannot do everything I did before, but darn it, I'm going to do what I can! 

And, yes, it does feel good to get the port out.  I was tired of the 45 minute drive to get it flushed monthly.  Now I only have to make that drive every 3 months for my check-in with my oncologist.  Traci

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Good luck Traci

wishing you all the best for work,weight and a cancer free life, Hugs Ron.   (Ps I never got to have a port. SSSIGGHHH.)

• traci43
    ron50 said:

Good luck Traci

wishing you all the best for work,weight and a cancer free life, Hugs Ron.   (Ps I never got to have a port. SSSIGGHHH.)

thanks!

Ron - I don't know what I would have done without one.  I think everyone should get one as standard practice.  So much easier than accessing a vein each time.  Thanks for the good wishes.  Hope you're doing well.  I want to some day say I've been cancer free as long as you.  Traci