One Year Ago Today...

This is my 1st year anniversary of my hysterectomy. What a fast year!

Now, do I count this as 1 year cancer free? Or does that clock start post chemo? Since I am stage 1A I think I can safely say 1 year cancer free as of today. That means only one more year of every 3 month check ups. Woo Hoo!   :-)

I completed chemo exactly 7 months ago and radiation 6 months ago. While I still have some nueropathy issues, I am almost back to the new normal. Hot flashes have been an issue for me for years. I was hoping they would go away but instead they seem to be worse. Some day they may stop. ugh! I don't have the same stamina as I did before cancer but I can do quite a bit now. 30 minutes at a time on the elliptical or treadmill is one of my daily items. I really thought it would take longer to be able to do that. I have started some muscle building exercise. Very slow go but getting there.

I am grateful for much in my life and I practice acknowledging those items every morning. All of you strong, sweet ladies are on my list. Thanks for sharing the journey with me. Sorry we all had to meet this way but I can't imagine doing this without you.

I hope you all continue to stay strong and healthy or stay in the fight to get there.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Comments

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    I know!

The year did fly by, didn't it?  Guess it goes back to that old saying, "Time flies, whether you're having fun or not!"

So glad to hear that your new normal is pretty darn good.  I can identify with the hot flashes.  I really did not have a problem with them during menopause, but I have them frequently since my hysterectomy.   Oh, well, that's part of my new normal.

Congrats to my chemosabe, my traveling partner on this bumpy journey...  may there be many more healthy years!

Hugs,

Chris

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited July 2016 #3
    Congratulations, Cindi!

Congratulations, Cindi! You are an inspiration to all of us working to get to that one year mark. Keep up the fight and thank you for being YOU! Kim

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited July 2016 #4
    Thanks Ladies!

Thanks Ladies!

Chris, you will always be special to me. There is much to be said about having someone doing the same thing at the same time and sharing the experience.

Kim, One of the Florida ladies sharing this incredibly hot Summer with me! So glad to see your posts and your wonderful progress. Your year will be here before you know it.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited July 2016 #5
    Congratulations, Cindi!!!  I

Congratulations, Cindi!!!  I think you should count from your surgery since the chemo and radiation were preventative.  I'm going to count my anniversary as September 30th - my hysterectomy date too.

I don't think most people realize the aftermath of surgery, chemo, radiation, etc. goes on for years and may never really go away but......it's good to be alive and feeling good again!!  So happy for you!!

Love,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    edited July 2016 #6
    Oh Eldri, you are absolutely

Oh Eldri, you are absolutely right! I think our approach to the new us has to be embraced with an understanding that we move forward within our new normals. And, that we can find happiness within the new us. Thankfully I have always been a glass half full kind of girl.

Thanks for your support and I look forward to celebrating your year in September!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited July 2016 #7
    Cindi, congratulations.  It

Cindi, congratulations.  It is hard to imagine how the time has passed - but I am sure we told you - YOU WILL AMAZE YOURSELF!  

Many years of NED dear.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member

Cindi, congratulations.  It

Cindi, congratulations.  It is hard to imagine how the time has passed - but I am sure we told you - YOU WILL AMAZE YOURSELF!  

Many years of NED dear.

I love hearing your ned.  I

I love hearing your ned.  I hope to get there too.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Congratulations! Wonderful

Congratulations! Wonderful news!

• giggs100
    giggs100 Member Posts: 91 Member
    Wonderful News

Congratulations Cindi !!!  What great news and hope you have many years down the road NED free.

Jerri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Thanks All!

Thanks All!

Yep, I was assurred by several that I will amaze myself. And, it was true. You don't know how strong you are until you are tested.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• janaes
    I love hearing about the talk

I love hearing about the talk of amazing yourself and how confident you ladies think you have.  I want to feel the same way.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Janaes, The fact is.... you

Janaes, The fact is.... you are amazing. You are dealing with cancer, treatments AND raising a family as a single mom. I would say that you have a lot of strength even if you don't recognize it yet. You will look back on this later and realize just how strong you are.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• janaes
    Cindy you are so sweet.  lots

Cindy you are so sweet.  lots of love, janae

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Yep,

Cindy is sweet but she is telling it to you like it is.  You've earned the credit.  Accept it.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Congratulations!

Cindi,

Congratulations on your anniversary!   Sending you hugs!   

Kathy

• janaes
    ConnieSW said:

Yep,

Cindy is sweet but she is telling it to you like it is.  You've earned the credit.  Accept it.

Thank you cindi and connie. 

Thank you cindi and connie.  Your comments did give me the courage to believe.

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Survival Anniversaries

I had surgery and chemo, no radiation.  I originally counted my years of survival from the date of my surgery, only to later find out my doctors counted from the end of my chemo.  It was kind of a bummer, as I thought I was further along than I actually was.  I am 6 years and 2 months out from my surgery, but 5 years and 10 months out from my chemo.  I went for a yearly check-up last Monday and was congratulated on my 5 years of survival.  Then, I was told that my CA-125 was 9.5 when it's been in the 6's and 7's ever since chemo.  I was reassured that the figure didn't mean anything, but to me, it's almost a 50% increase and something that's worrisome.  When I had stage IVb UPSC, my CA-125 was 94.  I know many women have much higher numbers with lower stages of cancer.   

• Charissa
    Charissa Member Posts: 129 Member
    Congratulations, Cindi! Your

Congratulations, Cindi! Your words are an encouragement to others, as well as your positive insight appreciated. 

It is so wonderful and reassuring to read and see the genuine friendships founded on this board. You women simply amaze me - everyone unique with different personalities, yet everyone on the same journey in different ways. Always blessed when I have time to stop in and catch up.

Love and virtual hugs to ALL!!!

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 228
    Congratulations!

So happy to hear how well you are doing! When you are going through this journey it seems like the end is so far away. Then, all of a sudden, it's over and we begin our journey back. Surgery, chemotherapy and radiation take their toll but it amazing how quickly we regain our strength and sense of well being! Our new normal may be different from our past but we approach our lives with a deeper appreciation and enjoyment. It's been over two years since I completed chemo/radiation and I still find that my enjoyment and appreciation of each new day is so much fuller than in the past. Here's to many more cancer free years and to the wonderful friends we've all made here.  Love, Sandy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Thanks Ladies!

Thanks Ladies!

I also love hearing about the anniversaries of others and how they are doing. We are quite the band of ladies here on this journey. Lots and lots of ups and downs and more than anything else, a comaraderie beyond measure.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi