Constipation after surgery help

Heyker
Heyker Member Posts: 36

I am ready to jump out of my skin. First off I can't have prunes or prune juice due to allergies. I have tried stool softener, milk of magnesia, whi grape juice Apple juice, water lots of it. I have talked to my doc and he wants me to use an enema. I'm 8 days out of surgery.Any suggestions please?? Thank you for any imput

heyker

Comments

• JoanneNH
    JoanneNH Member Posts: 115
    Add bulk.  Try taking just a

Add bulk.  Try taking just a small amount of Metamucil at least 4 times a day.  That is what worked for me.   No diarrhea, no hard BM, just nice and fluffy with no pain.   Laughing

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Not fun

Heyker,

No one ever told me 14 years ago that pain medications make you constipated when that big day arives. I have tried to alert others on this. One of my most vivid memories of being nephed. WTF. Metamucil sounds good. Anything to loosen that MF'er. I now how you feel.

Icemantoo

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Yikes so  sorry you are going

Yikes so  sorry you are going through this! TRY SENA S at drug store/Target has its brand. Its a laxative and stool softener in one.

My brother's Primary knows he has this problem when on OPIATES  so my brother swears by SENNA S (has to have the S on the box).

Good luck!

Jan

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    First try the suggestions above-

and that is assuming you can get to the store!  While there, also ask a pharmacist what they would recommend and don't be afraid to inform them of why you need help with a capital H.

Also, bubbles in:bubbles out.  Carbonated 7-Up or other lemon-lime flavors can sometimes help.  And good old external massage, starting at the lower right where the small intestine joins the colon.  Gentle pressure moving up to below the ribs, across the transverse colon to the left, and then down the left side and toward the center behind the urinary bladder.

Good luck and let us know how the biopsy comes out.

donna_lee

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Some years ago, I had

Some years ago, I had abdominal surgery that resulted in a temporary ileostomy (pooping in a bag).  My sister, a nurse practitioner (presently in child neurology, but also an expert in pediatric emergency care), advised me to make use of the BRAT diet.....bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.  If I wanted to, I could expand to the BRATY diet, which is all the same, but added yogurt to the mix.  I know it helped me get and stay regular until I got the ileostomy reversed.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    NO to the BRAT diet!!!

That's for diarrhea, not constipation!!  Stick with something like Metamucil, and keep moving, (walking, that is)  Those pain meds will definitely wreak havoc on your system so if you can back off, do so.  (assuming you're still on pain meds)

Donna~

• Bay Area Guy
    How is your stomach doing now

How is your stomach doing now?

• Heyker
    Update

I am doing better. I ended up getting some of the stuff you drink mag. CalTrate? It took a good 8 hours but it finally got things going. Thank you for all the tips, I am still taking the stool softener every day I did not realize how hard it is to push with all those muscles cut. My body is still getting back into the rhythm but I'm glad to at least go. No more rock hard stomach.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Memories

Heyker,

One of those memories you will never forget.

Icemantoo

• Heyker
    icemantoo said:

Memories

Heyker,

One of those memories you will never forget.

Icemantoo

Totally agree iceman lol. I

Totally agree iceman lol. I felt like I had a tsunami going on for awhile in my intestines lol.

• Bay Area Guy
    edited July 2016 #12
    Heyker said:

Update

I am doing better. I ended up getting some of the stuff you drink mag. CalTrate? It took a good 8 hours but it finally got things going. Thank you for all the tips, I am still taking the stool softener every day I did not realize how hard it is to push with all those muscles cut. My body is still getting back into the rhythm but I'm glad to at least go. No more rock hard stomach.

Glad to hear it!

Glad to hear it!

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Heyker said:

Totally agree iceman lol. I

Totally agree iceman lol. I felt like I had a tsunami going on for awhile in my intestines lol.

Glad the weather has changed...

Glad to hear the weather has calmed, and everything has come out all right!

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    drug induced

constipation. It becomes either chronic diarrhea with TKI drugs, or constipation from pain meds. Sucks.