Lung cancer stage 1

Suzy2015
Suzy2015 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Lung Cancer #1

I'm new here and non-smoker. On Dec 1 /2015 I had VATS lobectomy for what turn out to be T1b,N0,M0 adeno of the lung . My Doctor does not require any adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for me then I'll have follow up in 04/2016 but I'm worried a lot . Do I need second opinion ? Any one have lung cancer but no chemo or radiotherapy ? Help me please

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Suzy

I had vats for squamous cell 1a.  My right lower lobe was removed and no chemo/radiation required, that was on 9-23-10, more than 5 years ago. That was a 2nd cancer for me and not a metasis from the 1st cancer. 

I was a 35 year smoker.  So far so good.  Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.   You might like to join Inspire  (Health Web Site), as well theres a lot of knowledge there and a lot of posters.  I wish you well.

Lori

• Suzy2015
    Suzy2015 Member Posts: 3
    z said:

Suzy

I had vats for squamous cell 1a.  My right lower lobe was removed and no chemo/radiation required, that was on 9-23-10, more than 5 years ago. That was a 2nd cancer for me and not a metasis from the 1st cancer. 

I was a 35 year smoker.  So far so good.  Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.   You might like to join Inspire  (Health Web Site), as well theres a lot of knowledge there and a lot of posters.  I wish you well.

Lori

Thanks Lori!

Thanks Lori!

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Standard of care on a stage 1

Standard of care on a stage 1 lung cancer, as recommended by the National Cancer Institutes is surgery with no adjuvant or neoadjuvant chemo or radiation. 

• llake
    llake Member Posts: 1
    Lung cancer

i am a non smoker age 61 in good health. Recently scan showed clusters of tumors on left middle lung. One was 11 mm. It took me by surprise. What shoukd I expect from my pulmonary visit on Monday?

• z
    llake said:

Lung cancer

i am a non smoker age 61 in good health. Recently scan showed clusters of tumors on left middle lung. One was 11 mm. It took me by surprise. What shoukd I expect from my pulmonary visit on Monday?

llake

Hi, 1st its not cancer until its biopsied and proven to be cancer.  You could have an infection.  Wait and see what the dr says, I know its hard not to worry, but if your in good health that is a plus.  If it is cancer theres a lot that can be done right now to cure lung cancer.  I wish you well and keep us posted.  Lori

• philoz
    philoz Member Posts: 2
    type 1b small cell carcinoma vats

type 1b small cell carcinoma vats lobectomy in mid november. no chemo and went back to work on light duty in three weeks.  BIG MISTAKE. i should have stayed off for the eight weeks my Dr. wanted me to. DON't Be Stuborn. take the time you need to heal.

• philoz
    philoz Member Posts: 2
    cancer

ALWAYS REMEMBER AFTER THE SURGERY. WE ARE NOT SURVIVORS.  WE ARE WINNERS.

• jbug2
    jbug2 Member Posts: 73
    llake said:

Lung cancer

llake,
    What happened with

llake,

What happened with this, what was the diagnosis?  My daughter has 3 cysts of something on her lung, just had a PET scan which suggests an inflamation, she is reluctant to have anyone biopsy her lung.

• ptb
    ptb Member Posts: 1
    YOU SHOULD HAVE SECOND AND THIRD OPINIONS

Hi Suzy, I had stage IIA back in 1997 (34 years old when diagnosed).  Had an open lung biopsy which they thought was Hodgkins Lymphoma and sewed me back up.  Then came the pathology report...Adenocarcinoma.  I was active duty navy at the time and was seen/treated at Portsmouth Naval Hospital.  With this new diagnosis, my wife and I set out to get other opinions.   We went to Bethesda Naval Hospital for a second and Memorial Sloan Ketttering for a Third.  I would recommend several opinions.  I will also say that it is IMPERATIVE that you and your Oncologist have a good relationship.  Your doctor needs to take time to explain things to you and help you understand your situation.  If you feel that he/she is too busy for you...DROP THEM.  Think of it this way, if (God forbid) you die, that doctor is going to have another patient...but there is only ONE SUZY and it's YOUR job to take care of her. 

At the time of my cancer, they removed my right lung and told me that was the normal procedure and that chemo/radiation would not be required.  I searched, and found, a protocol with National Institute of Health where they were testing the utility of chemo/radiation following surgery.  I signed up for it because I figured that if I did undergo the chemo and radiation and the cancer came back that I could never say that I didn't try.  But if it came back and I hadn't done the chemo and radiation I'd be kicking my self in the back end till the end.

One last thing...check out the corporate angel network (just google them).  I used them to get to my third opinion at Sloan Kettering and highly recommend them.  They flew me and my wife from Virginia to NYC round trip on a corporate jet.  They provided a limo back from the hospital to the airport...the only thing i had to do was pay for the cab ride to the hospital, the rest was FREE!  I don't know where you live but it's a way to get to the top cancer centers in the country for that second or third opinion.

I hope my advice helps you...Good luck in your battle and know that there are some of us out here who are still alive and ticking after many years.

pat 

• Michelle911
    Michelle911 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2016 #11
    ptb said:

YOU SHOULD HAVE SECOND AND THIRD OPINIONS

Hi Suzy, I had stage IIA back in 1997 (34 years old when diagnosed).  Had an open lung biopsy which they thought was Hodgkins Lymphoma and sewed me back up.  Then came the pathology report...Adenocarcinoma.  I was active duty navy at the time and was seen/treated at Portsmouth Naval Hospital.  With this new diagnosis, my wife and I set out to get other opinions.   We went to Bethesda Naval Hospital for a second and Memorial Sloan Ketttering for a Third.  I would recommend several opinions.  I will also say that it is IMPERATIVE that you and your Oncologist have a good relationship.  Your doctor needs to take time to explain things to you and help you understand your situation.  If you feel that he/she is too busy for you...DROP THEM.  Think of it this way, if (God forbid) you die, that doctor is going to have another patient...but there is only ONE SUZY and it's YOUR job to take care of her. 

At the time of my cancer, they removed my right lung and told me that was the normal procedure and that chemo/radiation would not be required.  I searched, and found, a protocol with National Institute of Health where they were testing the utility of chemo/radiation following surgery.  I signed up for it because I figured that if I did undergo the chemo and radiation and the cancer came back that I could never say that I didn't try.  But if it came back and I hadn't done the chemo and radiation I'd be kicking my self in the back end till the end.

One last thing...check out the corporate angel network (just google them).  I used them to get to my third opinion at Sloan Kettering and highly recommend them.  They flew me and my wife from Virginia to NYC round trip on a corporate jet.  They provided a limo back from the hospital to the airport...the only thing i had to do was pay for the cab ride to the hospital, the rest was FREE!  I don't know where you live but it's a way to get to the top cancer centers in the country for that second or third opinion.

I hope my advice helps you...Good luck in your battle and know that there are some of us out here who are still alive and ticking after many years.

pat 

WOW

Thank you Pat for that inspirational story.  My Dr. is just sitting there placid and I am feeling like I need to jump up and down.  I do need to be my best advocate!!

• Muggles45
    Muggles45 Member Posts: 4
    1 Year After VATS, Nodule Discovered on Other Lung

A year ago last month, I had VATS surgery on the left lung. It revealed squamous cell cancer. I have been for two CT scans since that time. On Tuesday, I was told that there is a round nodule on the other lung that 'could' be a met from uterine cancer two years ago or another cancer, although it differed in shape. The surgeon indicated that, because of the location, VATS could not be performed this time and more extensive surgery would be required. It is scheduled for July 22nd. I am terrified. For two years I have lived in fear of a recurrance and I'm at a point now that I really cannot function in any meaningful way. There isn't a thought that doesn't concern cancelling surgery and letting be what will. Honestly, I feel guilty for being this paralyzed by fear.

• bsaludares
    bsaludares Member Posts: 1
    Post Op

Hi, on June 20th (4 days ago yeehaw) I had a VATS lobectomy of the left lower superior lung.  Came back as stage 1a, non small cell cancer With no additional treatment needed.  I feel so fortunate and feel like I'm doing really well, but the incision under my left breast is really painful when I bend, or pretty much move around in general.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve this beyond the pain meds?

• z

Post Op

Hi, on June 20th (4 days ago yeehaw) I had a VATS lobectomy of the left lower superior lung.  Came back as stage 1a, non small cell cancer With no additional treatment needed.  I feel so fortunate and feel like I'm doing really well, but the incision under my left breast is really painful when I bend, or pretty much move around in general.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve this beyond the pain meds?

bsaludares

Hello, I had vats in 2010 on 9-23, so far so good.  I didn't wear a bra until I went back to work a month later.  It just takes a while to heal, 4 days isn't a long time.  I was back to normal within 6 months.  I wish you well, Lori.

• z
    Muggles45 said:

1 Year After VATS, Nodule Discovered on Other Lung

A year ago last month, I had VATS surgery on the left lung. It revealed squamous cell cancer. I have been for two CT scans since that time. On Tuesday, I was told that there is a round nodule on the other lung that 'could' be a met from uterine cancer two years ago or another cancer, although it differed in shape. The surgeon indicated that, because of the location, VATS could not be performed this time and more extensive surgery would be required. It is scheduled for July 22nd. I am terrified. For two years I have lived in fear of a recurrance and I'm at a point now that I really cannot function in any meaningful way. There isn't a thought that doesn't concern cancelling surgery and letting be what will. Honestly, I feel guilty for being this paralyzed by fear.

Muggles

Hello, I had vats on 9-23-10 lower right lobe, on a follow up scan left lower, a 3mm nodule was found, upon rescan 2 months later it was gone.  Is there a reason the dr won't rescan 1st to see if it is gone.  Nodules come and go and infections come and go.  I wish you well, Lori.

• aus2016
    aus2016 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016 #16
    lung cancer

hello, my mum has just had a large slice of her lung removed through surgery about a month ago and is about to undergo chemo, has anyone got any tips or suggestions on how myself and other family members can support her? her first treatment is next friday. her recovery has been slow, emotional and very unexpected i suppose is the word ( as in we really didnt know what and how she would be after the surgery). at the moment she isnt eating much, when do we get concerned about that? she is drinking water and having a small meal once a day if that. im worried that she wont have enough energy from the little food she is getting to get through the chemo.

she has had very fast treatment, she also had kidney stones that they want to remove before she starts the chemo

im in australia, any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated, thankyou Tegan

• z
    edited July 2016 #17
    aus2016 said:

lung cancer

hello, my mum has just had a large slice of her lung removed through surgery about a month ago and is about to undergo chemo, has anyone got any tips or suggestions on how myself and other family members can support her? her first treatment is next friday. her recovery has been slow, emotional and very unexpected i suppose is the word ( as in we really didnt know what and how she would be after the surgery). at the moment she isnt eating much, when do we get concerned about that? she is drinking water and having a small meal once a day if that. im worried that she wont have enough energy from the little food she is getting to get through the chemo.

she has had very fast treatment, she also had kidney stones that they want to remove before she starts the chemo

im in australia, any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated, thankyou Tegan

Tegan

Hello, you might also like to joing the Inspire Health web site, there is a lot of posters there.  This site is good but not as many posters.  I know I had chemo for another cancer and there should be medicine available for nausea to help make it easier for her to eat.  Please ask the drs what to do to help stimulate her appetite.  I didn't use any but ate whenever I had the urge to eat.  I lost 20 lbs which was a good thing for me.  Once my appetite came back so did the weight.

I wish you both well, tell her it just takes time to feel better and heal. Lori

• Shepdog
    Shepdog Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017 #18
    cyberknife vs. lobectomy

anyone chossen cyber knife over upper right lobectomy? I have stage 1 with 1.8 mm mass.

• ackappen
    ackappen Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time on the

This is my first time on the forum, my husband has been treating for limited small cell and has one more round of chemo first week of April. He finished his radiation this last week.  I am taking him to the Bahamas end of April for his birthday.  He wants to hit a tanning bed before we leave.  I can't  seem to get an answer out of our oncologist!  Yea or nay??? I have purhased a UV protectent shirt and hat but he really wants to tan!

Thanks

Ann

• TigerJ52
    TigerJ52 Member Posts: 7
    philoz said:

type 1b small cell carcinoma vats

type 1b small cell carcinoma vats lobectomy in mid november. no chemo and went back to work on light duty in three weeks.  BIG MISTAKE. i should have stayed off for the eight weeks my Dr. wanted me to. DON't Be Stuborn. take the time you need to heal.

I took 4 weeks.

Lobectomy - adenocarcinoma stage 2.  The problem is I still have to have adjuvant chemo.  I know I may have to take more time off for that dependinng on side effects.  Fortunately, I don't have a job that is hard on me physically.  I really needed to get out of the house and move around a little. 

• TigerJ52
    TigerJ52 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2017 #21
    Shepdog said:

cyberknife vs. lobectomy

anyone chossen cyber knife over upper right lobectomy? I have stage 1 with 1.8 mm mass.

If you haven't had your lobectomy yet. . .

Stage 1 is an assumption.  I had a mass that measured about 2 cm and was told it was likely stage 1.  Examination of surrounding tissue when they did the lobectomy revealed 3 lymph nodes with cancer.  That bumps it up to stage 2a.  It's a big difference in that for stage 2 adjuvant chemo is prescribed.  You can hope it is stage 1, but don't be devastated if you find out something different.