Tongue issue

Hi everyone, I'm almost done with week 2 and i have a thick white stripe on the left side of my tongue. I am not having rads to the tongue, just the left side of my head where the parotid bed is and some lymph nodes. I have some metal fillings and i do wear mouth guards but i wondered if i should be concerned about this or its normal. Yes i will ask doc too but i won't see them till Tuesday.  Any info would be great.  Shirley

Comments

• stevenpepe
    stevenpepe Member Posts: 234
    edited July 2016 #2
    Sounds like a sore. I have

Sounds like a sore. I have them, as well, and I had rads to the tongue. It looks like a thick, white stripe along the border.

I would think it's expected. My whole mouth was affected even though the rads were targeted to the left side of my tongue.

• Gypsy28
    Gypsy28 Member Posts: 69
    Thanks Steve. 

Thanks Steve. 

• SusanUES
    SusanUES Member Posts: 125
    The thick white stripe could also be thrush...

Have your doc check it out.  If it is thrush, he can give you meds for that.  Mine was stubborn, nothing helped...took months to go away.

• Gypsy28
    edited July 2016 #5
    SusanUES said:

The thick white stripe could also be thrush...

Have your doc check it out.  If it is thrush, he can give you meds for that.  Mine was stubborn, nothing helped...took months to go away.

Doesn't scrape off at all.

Doesn't scrape off at all.  One long stripe. No small patches. Hurts too.

• cardoza33
    cardoza33 Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2016 #6
    Gypsy28 said:

Doesn't scrape off at all.

Doesn't scrape off at all.  One long stripe. No small patches. Hurts too.

I had these on the side of my

I had these on the side of my tongue.  I think they are radiation burns. Mine looked like a thick strip along the side of my tongue and was very sore.  I have also had, and still have thrush.  That was located on the top of my tongue and did not hurt, altough I think it can.  Both are normal for your treatment.  Just show the doctor and if its thrush you will get some meds. 

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    edited July 2016 #7
    I have the long white line,

I have the long white line, and also burns on side of tongue where it looks raw.  Doc just looks happy to see them. I guess he thinks that shows he's blitzing me good enough, lol

• dygit
    dygit Member Posts: 40 Member
    M

What type of mouth guard are you using to protect your fillings? Were they recommended with radiation? 

I am 2 weeks in now and the last 2 nights just got major case of dry mouth at night - trying to deal with that....

Hope your mouth is ok!

• Gypsy28
    dygit said:

M

What type of mouth guard are you using to protect your fillings? Were they recommended with radiation? 

I am 2 weeks in now and the last 2 nights just got major case of dry mouth at night - trying to deal with that....

Hope your mouth is ok!

Mouthguards

My top guard was made by my dentist for grinding my teeth and the bottom is a boil and mold from Everlast. I'm not sure they are doing anything. My mouth is quite sore. If you have metal fillings radiation is belived to reflect and bounce around the mouth causing burns to the tongue and gums. This is what I have read. My doc didn't explain why i should wear them. However she doesn't explain much. I've had dry mouth since the second Day.