Arthritis in the Hip after radiation

Options

12 years ago, I was treated with chemo and radiation for a tumor at the end of the colon (where it meets the rectum). I was told at the time that I would likely develop arthritis in my hips from the radiation. From that point on, I have had sore hips (and surrounding area). I'm not able to lay on my side on a hard surface (like the floor) or have any pressure on my hips (like during a massage). However, in the last six months or so, I started noticing that my hips are becoming more painful and even traveling down my outer thigh to the knee. I've also really had trouble with stiffness and having trouble with movement after sitting for a long period of time, in the mornings And after being on my feet for awhile. 

Is this something that is normal after radiation to the hips? Had anyone else had this issue? If so, what can be done? I am interested in persuing natural remedies versus just getting on a bunch of pills. 

I would love to hear from some of you regarding this...

Thank you!! 

Gina

Comments

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Hi Gina, I don't have the

Hi Gina, I don't have the answer because I'm behind you in time (3 years out) but I wanted to show support.  I do have the pain in the hip where you can't lay on a floor.  It also hurts when I press my hip.  I also have the stiffness issue but that is something that seems to be happening more with aging as my sisters (who are in their 50s) complain of it also and they've never had chemo or rad.  I am 46 and I've had that for about two years now. I sit at work and it feels as if my legs are logs sometimes and my knees clicking out of place. Also my legs and feet keep falling asleep just from sitting.  It takes a few minutes for my body to kick in.  Sometimes I have a strange click in the crease of my leg like the bone is rubbing the bone and it becomes uncomfortable to walk.  I also had that before chemo and rad so I think some of it might just be natural aging and in my case, not being as physically fit as a I should be.  Although my aunt stayed fit her whole life and she's now having issues.  But hers didn't happen until the late 60s.  

• DD3
    DD3 Member Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My wife

had radiation in the area you describe.  Seems now from time to time her hips hurt.  The radiologist oncologist said it could possibly be from radiation.  We believe it is.  We are only three years out from treatment.  Seems to have stabalized.  Wife doesn't take anything in particular as her nueropathy bothers her worse.  I wish I could pass on some better news or ideas to you.

• Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited June 2016 #4
    Options
    Hip Arthritis

Hi - I don't know whether or not radiation caused you hip issues, but I can tell you that my hip replacement in 2008 was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Suggest you see an orthopedic surgeon.

Good Luck,

Betsy

Stage 4; diagnosed 5/11; many treatments since