Dad newly diagnosed, searching for other daughter caregivers

Options
ATBrady
ATBrady Member Posts: 5

Hello community, 

My dad was recently diagnoised with stage 4 lung cancer. He will begin his chemotherapy this upcoming Monday and I've been an emotional wreck. I am his primary caregiver and it hasn't been easy processing everything. Although I have a lot of support from my family and friends, I feel very isolated and loney in my experience. I am looking for other "daddy's girls" to talk to. Any words of encouragement, resources, and help is greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you.

Comments

• tmwalker
    tmwalker Member Posts: 1
    Options
    not a daughter but a wife

I know what you are going through.  I was my husbands care taker, and it was hard.  Just take it one day at a time, and remember if you get upset go where they  can not see you.  That is what I did. I had to stay strong for my husband and my two daughters.

• Butterfly25
    Butterfly25 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Things that helped us

So sorry about your Dad's  Diagnosis. I hope you find this website a source of comfort :) .

When my Mom was diagnosed I was devastated.   These things I learned from trial and error and are the things that helped the most:

I got a folder with the following: (take to every appt)

• Phone list  MDs, pharmacy, home health agency & oxygen company.
    •  A calendar to keep appointments.  
    • A list of medicines including  dose and frequency  2 or 3 copies 
    • The paper calendar  was for my Mom and Dad so we were all on the same page. with where she was supposed to be.  I put all the phone numbers and appts in my phone. 

Put all meds on auto renewal at the pharmacy .... 

I got my mom a pill box     She had paper so she could write down "as needed" medicines so I could see when she last took them.

Call  the Oncologist if your Dad has pain  or nausea.  Oncologists typically  understand  how to minimize side effects from chemotherapy radiation better than any other doctor.  My  mom was on 3 different anti nausea medicines.  It worked Great!

Love your Dad and do what he wants... If he feels like doing something, try to make it happen if possible.     

Lastly but most important... accept help from others and take care of yourself...( I should have put this one first). 

I am so sorry you are going through this.. Many prayers for you and your Dad!