DIEP Flap Reconstruction

Options
Wabbitt
Wabbitt Member Posts: 18
edited May 2016 in Breast Cancer #1

Has anyone had DIEP Flap reconstrution?  I had BLM in March with expanders in place right now.  I will do the final reconstruction this coming Fall.  It is so confusing to figure out what to have done.  Please if you have had DIEP I need to hear  how it went, was it worth the extra incision in the tummy and how was the healing process, and final results. Thanks

Comments

• Seabell
    Seabell Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Tnbc, no chemo survivors discussion, please!

I am discontinuing chemo, have not had surgery yet, and would like to hear from other tnbcers who refusex chemo, and if they tried an alternative therapy. 

• Seabell
    Seabell Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am discontinuing chemo, have not had surgery yet, and would like to hear from other tnbcers who refused chemo, and if they tried an alternative therapy. Has anyone tried hyperthermua?

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    Options
    Hi Wabbit

I had the diep flap @62 yrs old.  That was 4 yrs ago.  Mine was bilateral and diep in one surgery.  It is definitely doable, and I'd choose it again.  I had a fabulous plastic surgeon and team.  I hope you do, as well.  You should be able to get all sorts of info from yours.  I saw videos, etc.  After the initial surgery, there was a 3 mo wait for the recision one, which was out patient.  The stomach incision is cleaned up, and extra tissue trimmed.  This is when the nipples are added, too.  Three mos later it was time to have the nipples tattooed. Yes, you'll have a scar across the bikini line from one side to the other.  It has begun to fade somewhat.  I have 100% feeling in the breasts but not the nipples.  They are just there!  I didn't have chemo/rads either.  I read that in another of your posts.  If you choose this route, it takes a couple of weeks to be able to drive again because of the drain tubes.  Two weeks isn't the rest of your life!  You get a free tummy tuck out of this surgery!  That's a bonus.  I had skin sparing, so they look fine. Some people aren't eligible for the surgery due to weight, health or something else.  All issues will be addressed by the DR at your initial consultation.  If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer from my point of view!  Good luck, Linda  

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Seabell said:

I am discontinuing chemo, have not had surgery yet, and would like to hear from other tnbcers who refusex chemo, and if they tried an alternative therapy. 

Instead of hiding your

Instead of hiding your discussion topic in this topic, it would probably be better if you started a whole new topic thread on your own, Seabell

• Wabbitt
    edited May 2016 #6
    Options
    lintx said:

Hi Wabbit

I had the diep flap @62 yrs old.  That was 4 yrs ago.  Mine was bilateral and diep in one surgery.  It is definitely doable, and I'd choose it again.  I had a fabulous plastic surgeon and team.  I hope you do, as well.  You should be able to get all sorts of info from yours.  I saw videos, etc.  After the initial surgery, there was a 3 mo wait for the recision one, which was out patient.  The stomach incision is cleaned up, and extra tissue trimmed.  This is when the nipples are added, too.  Three mos later it was time to have the nipples tattooed. Yes, you'll have a scar across the bikini line from one side to the other.  It has begun to fade somewhat.  I have 100% feeling in the breasts but not the nipples.  They are just there!  I didn't have chemo/rads either.  I read that in another of your posts.  If you choose this route, it takes a couple of weeks to be able to drive again because of the drain tubes.  Two weeks isn't the rest of your life!  You get a free tummy tuck out of this surgery!  That's a bonus.  I had skin sparing, so they look fine. Some people aren't eligible for the surgery due to weight, health or something else.  All issues will be addressed by the DR at your initial consultation.  If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer from my point of view!  Good luck, Linda  

Thanks Linda

Thanks Linda

So helpful to hear from someone my own age that has gone through it.  I hear from some how awful painful it is to recover.  I consider myself a very strong person but since my husband passed a few years ago it's scary to go through such an intense surgery without his care.  You have made me feel as if I can do it.  I have a great plastic surgeon as she did a great job for first part putting in the expanders.

I really feel strongly that doing the DIEP is a good route..I'd love to be one more surg and done!

Have a peaceful day.

Thanks again.,

Peggy

• bkelly
    bkelly Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016 #7
    Options
    Wabbitt said:

Thanks Linda

Thanks Linda

So helpful to hear from someone my own age that has gone through it.  I hear from some how awful painful it is to recover.  I consider myself a very strong person but since my husband passed a few years ago it's scary to go through such an intense surgery without his care.  You have made me feel as if I can do it.  I have a great plastic surgeon as she did a great job for first part putting in the expanders.

I really feel strongly that doing the DIEP is a good route..I'd love to be one more surg and done!

Have a peaceful day.

Thanks again.,

Peggy

DIEP Flap Reconstruction

Hi Peggy,

I too am considering DIEP flap.  I have a very good plastic surgeon in NY that is highly qualified.  I have just completed two surgery's, one left side masectomy and two weeks later another surgery to remove additional lymph nodes.  At this moment thinking about another surgery is hard to handle.  I do know that DIEP is the best long term choice.  I see my plastic surgeon tomorrow for direction.  My last surgery was a week and a halh ago on a Tuesday.  If you go forward with the DIEP, when will you have the surgery?  How long does your doctor say the healing process will be?

• Wabbitt
    Options
    bkelly said:

DIEP Flap Reconstruction

Hi Peggy,

I too am considering DIEP flap.  I have a very good plastic surgeon in NY that is highly qualified.  I have just completed two surgery's, one left side masectomy and two weeks later another surgery to remove additional lymph nodes.  At this moment thinking about another surgery is hard to handle.  I do know that DIEP is the best long term choice.  I see my plastic surgeon tomorrow for direction.  My last surgery was a week and a halh ago on a Tuesday.  If you go forward with the DIEP, when will you have the surgery?  How long does your doctor say the healing process will be?

DIEP Flap

I won't have surg until Jan.  I want to enjoy summer and fall.  I am tired of cancer and surg for now...these expanders aren't the most comfortable things to have in place but it could be worse I guess.  I realize the DIEP is a big surg but it I too have a great plastic surgeon and feel confident with her skills.  I figure recooping in the winter is a lot easier than the sunny months. I know you are in hosp for 4 days and layed up pretty good for 2+ weeks at best.  I keep myself in pretty good condition so putting my faith first and hope I can do this.  I am hoping we hear more on this site from others that have had the DIEP recently it would be a great help.

• sharon513
    sharon513 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    lintx said:

Hi Wabbit

Hi Linda

I hope you dont mind me asking.  I had the diep surgery on March 23. I will be having the 2nd surgery in July.  I have questions regarding my 2nd surgery I thought they would complete the nipples and tattooing in this surgery. You commented that you went back again for the tattooing. Also i was wondering the recovery for the second surgery.  My doctor is fixing the form and slightly lifting one breast and take fating from my side just under my arm and put fat in the other breast.  It sounds like a lot of surgery and I was wondering about it.  

sharon

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    Options
    Hi Sharon

The nipples are stitched, so I'm sure your DR will allow for healing before tattooing. I had a lift, as well, but no additional fat transfer. There was no down time at all.  I went in at noon, as an outpatient and was released at 7pm that evening.  No pain.  Believe me, you've completed the hardest part of this.  It isn't as much surgery as you're thinking for the 2nd one. The tattooing was done at the plastic surgeon's office by a nurse, who was certified to do it.  You can go to any artist, but my insurance covered it only if completed at the DR's office.  Each situation may be a little different. It will go smoothly from this point.  You're on the home stretch!  Hugs, Linda 

• Missj47
    Missj47 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Flap reconstruction

ok, here goes ladies. I will not lie the flap reconstruction was painful and the recovery for me was longer than for most because I tend to heal slower but even so I was healed and ready for chemo in seven weeks.  I know people who had problems with implants.  I wear a mastectomy bra to lift up my 68 yr old breast with a pad to match my new perky one, no problems.  My insurance (all insurances are required) pays for 2 or3 bras a year.

• KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Wabbitt said:

DIEP Flap

I won't have surg until Jan.  I want to enjoy summer and fall.  I am tired of cancer and surg for now...these expanders aren't the most comfortable things to have in place but it could be worse I guess.  I realize the DIEP is a big surg but it I too have a great plastic surgeon and feel confident with her skills.  I figure recooping in the winter is a lot easier than the sunny months. I know you are in hosp for 4 days and layed up pretty good for 2+ weeks at best.  I keep myself in pretty good condition so putting my faith first and hope I can do this.  I am hoping we hear more on this site from others that have had the DIEP recently it would be a great help.

I had DIEP surgery in 2011

I had DIEP surgery in 2011 and surgery later that year to do a lift on the other breast.   Your DIEP breast will never have any feeling in it.  You'll only feel pressure on the chest wall and around it, like when you lay on your side.   I have to watch that I don't "pinch" it when I'm sleeping.   Chest wall disconfomfort after surgery was something I had for a couple of years.