Burning Sore Mouth & Tongue Now HBO

Bunnymom
Bunnymom Member Posts: 212 Member

its been quite some time since I last posted. I'm back with an update and hoping to find others that can relate to my experience. 

First, and most importantly, I am now 21 month NED from tongue cancer. What a journey and I'd like to thank everyone for their incredible support.

I'm feeling much better, but I continue to have mouth and tongue pain. The doctors feel the pain is due to radiation and or nerve injury. I saw the ENT today and everything looks fine. Last scans in February were fine. I came off Gabapentin because it did nothing for me and am trying to manage with Tylenol. My tongue and mouth feels burnt And painful. The surgery side of my tongue has numbness and pain. Again, nothing worrisome but hard to deal with the pain.

I've started hyperbaric oxygen treatments and just finished my 8th dive today. I'm approved for 40 dives. I'm told that it takes at least 20 dives to see any improvement. I will say that the tenderness along my jawline has improved so I'm optimistic the HBO will help heal my tongue and mouth pain.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer insight into what I'm experiencing? Is there anyone else dealing with mouth and tongue pain so far out post treatment? What helped? Any feedback on experiences with HBO?

Thanks to everyone for being here.

Bunnymom

Comments

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 617 Member
    Burning Pain

Hi, Bunnymom! It's good to hear from you, but I'm sorry about your pain. It's been 19 months since my treatment ended and I still have days when my tongue hurts and burns on the right side. It seems worse after eating acidic, salty or very sweet food and lasts for several days. It's tolerable though. I really hope you get relief from the HBO.

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Bunnymom

No experience here, but I'm hoping the HBO helps you! That gabapentin can have some significant side effects...if it wasn't helping you, it's porbably a good thing you got off of it.

Barb K