Social Security

Editgrl
Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member

Has anyone here applied for Social Security under disability or compassionate allowances? I recently became aware that some stages of cancers will automatically qualify you for disability.

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Social Security

I was already old enough and was on Social Security when I was diagnosed, but I have heard,that too.  Stage 4 for sure and maybe stage 3.  Sure worth looking into. I did hear that they have tighten the rules for qualification for diablities though.  Lou Ann

• ncg007
    ncg007 Member Posts: 138 Member
    SS Benefits

Chris, I did apply and was approved.  I'm stage 3, but not sure if the stage was a consideration to approve or not.  I had to provide medical records.  SS will start paying benefits after 5 consecutive months of being disabled.  The monthly amount is based on your lifetime earnings.  I receive Long Term Disability insurance too and i don't believe this impacted the SS amount since it was private insurance and not government.  SS will continue to pay if you return to work disabled.  Im trying to figure out that piece now that I returned to work.  

Nancy

• Editgrl
    ncg007 said:

SS Benefits

Chris, I did apply and was approved.  I'm stage 3, but not sure if the stage was a consideration to approve or not.  I had to provide medical records.  SS will start paying benefits after 5 consecutive months of being disabled.  The monthly amount is based on your lifetime earnings.  I receive Long Term Disability insurance too and i don't believe this impacted the SS amount since it was private insurance and not government.  SS will continue to pay if you return to work disabled.  Im trying to figure out that piece now that I returned to work.  

Nancy

Stage 3 as well

I was diagnosed stage 3C2.  I've done some preliminary research, and it appears that if endometrial/uterine has spread to regional or distant lymph nodes, it qualifies on SSA's listings.  Tried to call, but wasn't willing to wait 35 minutes today to talk to a real person.  I am receiving survivor's benefits on my deceased ex-husband's account,  and I was figuring to wait until full retirement age to claim my own, as it will be substantially more.  That's still a couple of years away, though.  Just thought I would explore this as my work (self-employed) has dropped off significantly since I was diagnosed.

• ncg007
    Editgrl said:

Stage 3 as well

I was diagnosed stage 3C2.  I've done some preliminary research, and it appears that if endometrial/uterine has spread to regional or distant lymph nodes, it qualifies on SSA's listings.  Tried to call, but wasn't willing to wait 35 minutes today to talk to a real person.  I am receiving survivor's benefits on my deceased ex-husband's account,  and I was figuring to wait until full retirement age to claim my own, as it will be substantially more.  That's still a couple of years away, though.  Just thought I would explore this as my work (self-employed) has dropped off significantly since I was diagnosed.

Definitely worth exploring

Definitely worth exploring your options.  I believe I read some where in the documentation you would receive which ever payment was higher if you are already receiving SS, but that could have been referring to your own and not spousal. Good luck getting through to them on the phone.  If you have an office near you it may be beneficial to talk to them in person, but line is just as long there as it is on the phone queue.

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Editgrl said:

Stage 3 as well

My friends, forgive me as I have

taken a break from cancer. I don't want my life's focus to be on cancer, as I am sure you would agree that it is a difficult road to travel. So, I've taken a break and can almost believe that cancer is not about me. Well, I hope so, anyway! I am 2.5 years out from my hysterectomy and am surprised that I am still alive and NED.

It breaks my heart to read many of the posts here. Now, Debrajo has gone silent adding to my sadness. I wish I had the awesome power to grant each of you great health, happiness and peace. 

Chris, I am quite familiar with Social Security Disabilty benefits. I was diagnosed with UPSC, stage 3A. At no time during my TX was I unable to continue to do my job so there is no way that I could qualify for SSDI. To qualify, medical documentation must show that you are too ill to return to your prior line of work for at least one year. I have a desk job that is not strenuous or taxing. I would not- at this point with no recurrence or further horrendous TX to face to debilitate me, like chemo or radiation-qualify for SSDI. SSDI always pays more monthly than you would receive if you reached your full retirement age of 66 and you would continue to receive that monthly amount for the remainder of your life.

A cancer diagnosis can qualify you for SSDI Compassionate Allowance, which basically speeds up the approval process for individuals who are terminally ill. You cannot qualify for it as long as you are earning approximately $1,000 or more monthly from a job. BTW, even after qualifying for SSDI, you can usually earn $1,000 or less  monthly from a job without it affecting your SSDI. In the USA, a person with serious cancer is considered a person with a disability under the Americans with Disability Act  ( The ADA).

Warm wishes to all of you courageous and beautiful women!

Cathy

• ncg007
    Abbycat2 said:

taken a break from cancer. I don't want my life's focus to be on cancer, as I am sure you would agree that it is a difficult road to travel. So, I've taken a break and can almost believe that cancer is not about me. Well, I hope so, anyway! I am 2.5 years out from my hysterectomy and am surprised that I am still alive and NED.

It breaks my heart to read many of the posts here. Now, Debrajo has gone silent adding to my sadness. I wish I had the awesome power to grant each of you great health, happiness and peace. 

Chris, I am quite familiar with Social Security Disabilty benefits. I was diagnosed with UPSC, stage 3A. At no time during my TX was I unable to continue to do my job so there is no way that I could qualify for SSDI. To qualify, medical documentation must show that you are too ill to return to your prior line of work for at least one year. I have a desk job that is not strenuous or taxing. I would not- at this point with no recurrence or further horrendous TX to face to debilitate me, like chemo or radiation-qualify for SSDI. SSDI always pays more monthly than you would receive if you reached your full retirement age of 66 and you would continue to receive that monthly amount for the remainder of your life.

A cancer diagnosis can qualify you for SSDI Compassionate Allowance, which basically speeds up the approval process for individuals who are terminally ill. You cannot qualify for it as long as you are earning approximately $1,000 or more monthly from a job. BTW, even after qualifying for SSDI, you can usually earn $1,000 or less  monthly from a job without it affecting your SSDI. In the USA, a person with serious cancer is considered a person with a disability under the Americans with Disability Act  ( The ADA).

Cathy

SS while working

Cathy you make a good point in regards to collecting while working, i originally didn't catch that Chris continued working self-employed.  I did not continue working and applied for both SS and my LTD insurance immediately following my pathology diagnosis learning I would need further treatment. This was on advice of the hospital Social Worker because she said it could take up to 3+ months just for SS to process, mine took 4+ months. My dr submitted response as full disability for an estimated 8 months, not a year, and it was approved by SS.  In my case SS counted my surgery date as the beginning of disability.  As soon as I hit the 5 month mark SS payments were received a month later and my LTD qualified at the 90 day mark.  So my advice to anyone that may go on long term disability leave is to apply immediately for SS or any LTD benefits and not delay until you meet the time requirements.  

Cathy...Great news that you are taking a break and remain NED!

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Abbycat2 said:

Cathy

This article explains SS rules regarding cancer

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/social-security-disability-cancer.html  Certain kinds of cancers cause immediate Social Security but ours doesn't unless there are other circumstances.

Cathy, Debra, is just taking a little time off the board to address problems in her personal life.  Her cancer has not returned.  I know how you feel though, everytime someone isn't "here" for a week or so, I get worried.

Love, 

Eldri

• Editgrl
    Abbycat2 said:

Cathy

Thanks for this info, Cathy

This was just the sort of specificity I was looking for.  I kind of figured this might be the case, but couldn't quite figure out all of the parameters.  Guess I'll stick to my original plan.

Chris

• ncg007

This article explains SS rules regarding cancer

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/social-security-disability-cancer.html  Certain kinds of cancers cause immediate Social Security but ours doesn't unless there are other circumstances.

Cathy, Debra, is just taking a little time off the board to address problems in her personal life.  Her cancer has not returned.  I know how you feel though, everytime someone isn't "here" for a week or so, I get worried.

Love, 

Eldri

SS rules

In the article it also states that if you don't meet the requirements of Social Security's listing for cancer of the reproductive organs, you can qualify for disability benefits by showing that your symptoms and limitations affect your abilities so much that you cannot work.  I do see along with my Stage 3C1 & high risk Grade 3 diagnosis details, that my dr also listed on the SS app that due to symptoms and limitations caused by ChemoRadiation and also being at high risk of side affects (amenia, neutropenia, etc. were listed in detail) I was therefore unable to continue work.  My application got approved on first pass; I read that 65% of applications get rejected at first submission.  So those of you that may apply, be thorough.  I applaud all of you that worked through treatments.  I have a high stress desk job and there is no way I could have worked. 

Nancy

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Abbycat2 said:

Cathy

Cathy, no forgiveness necessary at all

We love and miss you but fully understand

Stay alive and NED , it's a command my sister.do your best to keep your body out of harm's way,be super vigilant but not excessivly so ,enjoy life ,come to us when you want to we are ok with that.

Moli , hugging,

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    molimoli said:

Cathy, no forgiveness necessary at all

We love and miss you but fully understand

Stay alive and NED , it's a command my sister.do your best to keep your body out of harm's way,be super vigilant but not excessivly so ,enjoy life ,come to us when you want to we are ok with that.

Moli , hugging,

Thanks, ladies, for your understanding!

Moli, I've been thinking about your upcoming surgery and hope that you are pleased with the results when it is over with.  Keep in mind, we will all be anxious to hear from you afterwards when you are up to posting.

Love,

Cathy

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    I applied online

i stopped at the local office and got a code to apply online. I was taken aback by one of the questions that asked if your condition is terminal. Aren't all of us terminal whether we have cancer or not???? I ultimately answered "no" but perhaps I'd have a better chance of approval with a "yes". Who writes these questions??????

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member

I applied online

i stopped at the local office and got a code to apply online. I was taken aback by one of the questions that asked if your condition is terminal. Aren't all of us terminal whether we have cancer or not???? I ultimately answered "no" but perhaps I'd have a better chance of approval with a "yes". Who writes these questions??????

LOL, we ALL have an

LOL, we ALL have an expiration date - it's just stamped on the back of our heads where no one can see it although some doctors try to tell you it.

Love,

Eldri

• ncg007

I applied online

SS App

Oh yes I recall the question of "will the condition end in death" kind of rattled me too....I answered No!  Good luck with your app.  I found out that now that I've gone back to work they will continue to keep me on for the next 30 days, this is in the event I have relapse.  I make too much for any supplemental, I believe it's only if you earn less than $1,000/mo.  Be patient for the next 4+ months waiting for a response.

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Editgrl

I debated applying for Social Security disability and didn't.  I was a stage IVb case of UPSC.  I'd asked my doctor whether he'd felt I'd be considered disabled, since I'd just finished chemo and was doing well at that point.  I had just turned 62.  He said he had no reason to believe my cancer would definitely be coming back, and it hasn't.  I'm at 6 years from diagnosis now.  There were a couple of other reasons why I didn't apply.  I was afraid that it would be a long process getting Social Security disability, because I've heard that so many cases are denied. Regular Social Security asked me to wait until January to get my first check, and that was enough of a wait.  My disability from my job had ended in November, and I didn't want to go back to work, so I was a month without pay as it was.  Also, I'd heard many times that the fund for Social Security disability was running out of money earlier than that for regular Social Security. I didn't want to get used to a higher check and then have to go to a smaller one. I haven't heard any more about that lately.  I wonder what they're doing about that.  I thought the fund was supposed to run out sometime before 2020. 

When I applied for regular Social Security, there was a question on the form about whether or not I had a life-threatening illness.  I put down that I'd had stage IVb uterine cancer.  Later, I talked to someone from their office, questioning me about it, and they said they'd put a note on my case in the event that I decided to change my mind in the future.  I had previously worked in a hospital Personnel office where employees' disability cases were reviewed regularly and people who were out for too long had their cases analyzed more thoroughly.  I figured Social Security disability might do the same thing, and if my cancer hadn't come back, I might be ousted from it.   My sister-in-law had a friend with a 94 year old mother living with her, and one day, a man from Social Security came to her home to verify that the 94 year old was still alive. I've heard they do that regularly now on very elderly people who haven't filed a Medicare claim in 2 years.  I didn't want someone checking up on me, and finding me out working in my garden, looking healthy. 

I've probably lost out on a lot of money by not applying for this, so I'm probably foolish!    

• Editgrl
    Abbycat2 said:

Cathy

It's interesting what you say

It's interesting what you say about disability always paying more than you would receive if you reached your full retirement age.  The last time I got a statement, it showed my disability benefit and my full retirement benefit as being the same.  Is it possibly related to your income over your working life?

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Abbycat2 said:

Thanks, ladies, for your understanding!

Moli, I've been thinking about your upcoming surgery and hope that you are pleased with the results when it is over with.  Keep in mind, we will all be anxious to hear from you afterwards when you are up to posting.

Love,

Cathy

Thanks Cathy , you know, my head tells me they will be getting many surprises when they open me up but even so I will remain  at peace with whatever I'll end up dealing with,  the doctors are not miracle workers and I know better than to expect miracles, I will be totally  satisfied that 3 cancer specialist will be turning my insides out ,hunting down every cancer spot and taking them out from where possible.I need naked eyes looking ,  I don't have any confidence in scan readers.I will explain in a new thread later what happened with my last scans, I dont think I remembered to mention it ,too funny to keep quiet about. 

My sisters I  may be 'dead' wrong with this decision that I have forced the doctors into but the amusing and consoling part is that I will not know that I am wrong (always hated to be wrong),  you all will know that I am 'dead' wrong but not me, then of course you'll all know where you'll end up if you do cancer my way.The only plus is that I will exit leaving  a valuable lesson behind, lesson being, DON'T DO THE MOLI.  You will all be commissioned to tell my story, Conventional will suddenly become very attractive and an easier decision to make for everyone.

On the other hand if I wake up knowing my name, my date of birth,time and place among other things like forgetting that I was married to that (nameless) man, I will have won big, and that's just up my street,Yea!!  On the other hand I better stop being so happy at my last thought as they are doing belly not my remembering brain., oh rats!!  I am overall happy with me and my decisions, I picked Happy way-back when and it's good company to keep especially that mentally I am already shopping for  smaller panties, maybe those little stringy( cover nothing) things that I see in victoria secret, maybe, ( if Jesus don't save me from my 62 year old crazy self ) maybe.

Sisters I'll be just fine , You won't be kept in suspense, I will have someone post upon recovery if I cant, you'll all know one way or the other.Ok

Moli --Needing this chapter to be behind me.Giving thanks for the support I have been afforded here.

When I was young my mother warned me against  loving strangers , Why now am I loving you all so?

Moli-Nuff Love guys .

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    molimoli said:

Thanks Cathy , you know, my head tells me they will be getting many surprises when they open me up but even so I will remain  at peace with whatever I'll end up dealing with,  the doctors are not miracle workers and I know better than to expect miracles, I will be totally  satisfied that 3 cancer specialist will be turning my insides out ,hunting down every cancer spot and taking them out from where possible.I need naked eyes looking ,  I don't have any confidence in scan readers.I will explain in a new thread later what happened with my last scans, I dont think I remembered to mention it ,too funny to keep quiet about. 

My sisters I  may be 'dead' wrong with this decision that I have forced the doctors into but the amusing and consoling part is that I will not know that I am wrong (always hated to be wrong),  you all will know that I am 'dead' wrong but not me, then of course you'll all know where you'll end up if you do cancer my way.The only plus is that I will exit leaving  a valuable lesson behind, lesson being, DON'T DO THE MOLI.  You will all be commissioned to tell my story, Conventional will suddenly become very attractive and an easier decision to make for everyone.

On the other hand if I wake up knowing my name, my date of birth,time and place among other things like forgetting that I was married to that (nameless) man, I will have won big, and that's just up my street,Yea!!  On the other hand I better stop being so happy at my last thought as they are doing belly not my remembering brain., oh rats!!  I am overall happy with me and my decisions, I picked Happy way-back when and it's good company to keep especially that mentally I am already shopping for  smaller panties, maybe those little stringy( cover nothing) things that I see in victoria secret, maybe, ( if Jesus don't save me from my 62 year old crazy self ) maybe.

Sisters I'll be just fine , You won't be kept in suspense, I will have someone post upon recovery if I cant, you'll all know one way or the other.Ok

Moli --Needing this chapter to be behind me.Giving thanks for the support I have been afforded here.

When I was young my mother warned me against  loving strangers , Why now am I loving you all so?

Moli-Nuff Love guys .

Moli - I am waiting

Moli - I am waiting impatiently for your surgery day as well. It can't get here fast enough! And, I'm very hopeful that they get every last little cell that threatens your body.

OK - even in my tiniest of days... I didn't wear those string things - yuck! Can't imagine that string between my cheeks.  tee hee....

See, no strangers here. We share some pretty intimate things, right?!

Love and Hugs my friend,

Cindi

• ncg007
    ncg007 said:

SS App

Oh yes I recall the question of "will the condition end in death" kind of rattled me too....I answered No!  Good luck with your app.  I found out that now that I've gone back to work they will continue to keep me on for the next 30 days, this is in the event I have relapse.  I make too much for any supplemental, I believe it's only if you earn less than $1,000/mo.  Be patient for the next 4+ months waiting for a response.

SS disability payments continue

I was pleasantly surprised to have received a call from SS informing me that even though I've returned to work, I will continue to receive my full disability payments for the next year (9mos work trial + 3mo extension) regardless of my salary.  After the 12 mos, payments stop if you earn over $1,130/mo.  I thought benefits stopped as soon as I returned to work making more than the $1,130.  I'll take what I can from SS now and invest it for retirement as it may be depleted by the time I retire in 7 years.

Nancy

• molimoli said:

Moli-Nuff Love guys .

Your posts always make me smile (or think)!

You are terrific, thank you for being molimoli and interacting with all of us.  And yes, I honestly do believe in miracles, cause my son who had chemo when he was 16, and didn't save sperm for later, was able to father two children, my beautiful grandchildren.  The first, Nolan, was my miracle, because of the before mentioned chemo.  The doctor said it probably wouldn't be possible for him to father children, yet my first grandson called me tonight to wish me a happy birthday and to let me know he loved me.  Now this is from a kid that is in his early 20's and we all know most of them have more important things than to call their grandmother in the middle of the week.  So, if you are granted a miracle, let it be health , cancer free health, first, and then go for the little stringy things!  Hugs, and lots of laughter, Nancy