A quick update

2»

Comments

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173

Thank you everyone

I appreciate that you wonderful ladies take the time from your days to give me words filled with hope and just really know how to make me feel that i'm not being overly anxious or one of those annoying people who are never happy. I feel like I'm justified in wanting another opinion. I finally got my path report, and apparently according to their information, they sent it to two pathologists and each one agreed with the other. That the cancer was contained and all nodes showed clear and nothing showed up in ovaries or tubes.

I discovered that I got to keep my cervix. I just don't know though. This operation left me feeling a bit at odds. When I got my da vinci hysterectomy. The only area that hurt was my left side. And let me tell you, that spot looked horrible. It looked like I got burned or something from that area and that it was probably 2-3 inches long where as all the other incision holes were maybe a inch. Then everyone kept telling me that itching is normal due to healing. Yet I itched so darn bad, and then about 2 weeks after my surgery the skin around every incision was red as could be and the surrounding tissue was swollen, you could litereally see the difference. I went to the ER because I was worried.

Well the ER after blood tests felt that I was having an allergic reaction to the dermabond (spelling) that glue they use to put over your wounds.. however I tried telling them, that after 1 week that glue was not on my skin at all. Between showers and it just comming off on its own. I think I was lucky to have it stay on my skin for maybe 4-5 days?  I was told to get some cortizone cream and put it around (not on) the incisions and also to take benedryll. Because my blood tests did not reveal infection but hinted more towards allergic reaction.

But I have never seen someone continue to have allergic reaction 2 - 2 1/2 weeks post surgery. Where if i itch, it starts to swell back up and then my skin looks like it's bright red as though I have some kind of rash. Most of the 5 holes are healed up save for the far left one. That one still looks horrible, like I got a burn from hot water on my skin (not like fire burns) and the wound itself scabs over but just today it cracked and up welled what looked like greyish/yellowy puss. It doesn't feel hot to the touch, I'm not  running a fever, but I just can't shake this odd feeling.

I'm probalby just over thinking/worrying. But I wish I could describe this feeling. Most people think I'm being weird when I tell them this, but i try to explain it like this. I get these feelings like something is trying to tell me something... before I got diagnosed, out of the blue I kept getting this e-mails and things would pop up on my facebook about symptoms of cancer. I got this for 2 years off and on. And I know web sites have cookies that track what kinds of things you look up. But I never looked up cancer. I didn't google anything that had to do with it. Yet for 2 years these msg's would come to me off an on. I finally quit procrastinating about all the issues I had been having and when I went to see the gyno for pap.. that is when this HUGE ball decided to roll down the hill and yell "SURPRISE"  you have cancer. It just felt like something kept telling me to go get looked at.

I know this sounds rediculous and just overly weird, but this is how I ended up finding out. And right now, I just have this odd feeling like something is still not quite right. I can't put my finger on it, and I am not getting any odd msg's like I did earlier, I just feel like something is off.

Perhaps I should just step back and try not to think about this anymore, I'm not sure. I don't want to be a hypocondriac like my grandmother. But at the same time, I just want to feel assured that all is ok. Anyway, again ladies.. I always pray that more and more of you become NED and never have to see cancers ugly head rear up again. I hope for everyone to get better and I hope for now, that at least some peace and quiet and lots of love fill all of your days for awhile. HUGS and thank you for helping me feel better!

I had an allergic reaction to

I had an allergic reaction to the dermabond almost 5 weeks after my surgery.  I had patches of skin all around the 7 incisions on my abdomen and it took a bit longer for the incisions to heal due to this. I was told to apply Benadryl and Neosporin to the areas around my incisions until the dermabond came off and then Neosporine directly to the incision once the dermabond did come off.

I had exactly the same reaction when my port was placed and the radiology doc poo poo'd me saying I was allergic to it.  I didn't insist that he not use it and battled the itching and slow healing with it too.

I hope this help you too feel bit better.  If you have hot redness or puss you should see your doctor for sure.

I think we all feel overwhelmed and more than a bit off at various time during the course of all of this, please don't feel alone in this or odd.

Hoping it gets better for you!!

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514

You ladies are soothing to the nerves

The far left wound refuses to want to heal I think. It's amazing but even 3 weeks after my da vinci surgery, the little wounds where they put the IV's into my hands still have not healed all the way either.  Today I had to go to the store and buy large bandages so that I could cover the far left wound from the Da vinci surgery. It weeps constantly, and no refuses to dry up. I'm an overweight woman (was working on weight loss before this diagnosis) and where the wound is, unless im laying down flat, it tends to get a lot of skin to skin so it sweats and remains a moist wound. (I would run my finger lightly over it and the middle of the wound has no feeling but the very outter edges are where it is sensitive.

So it weeps all day long so i had to get the bandage. I know covering it is not going to let it dry out, but I am getting tired of my clothes being ruined because of all the seepage. That and I was starting to worry about dirt and other things getting into the wound and getting an infection. Even with antihistamines, the itch around my belly is horrendous. And if I even itch around the wounds a little bit, I break out in HUGE welts and my skin turns bright red. What is worse is  that the itching has not moved down to my legs at or around my knees and around back. Showers don't help, and if I stay cold it's easier but I can't stay cold forever, because i shiver so badly that my teeth chatter.

Not to mention that for the past 2 weeks my left hand around the pinky and bottom portion of the palm have very limited sensation, and as of 2 days ago my right hand (the tips of my ring finger and pinky) are now starting to do the same thing. I just don't get it, I know if I ask my surgeon she will just say nothing she did caused it. (like my left eye after surgery seeing nothing but double vision and shadowy outlines. My eyesight has gone downhill so dramatically after my hysterectomy I just don't understand why. I never had any patches put on me, and I'm taking no drugs of any sorts other than ibuprofen to try and control my stomach pain. I'm just not quite sure what to do/think anymore.

I feel like the more I complain the more doctors look at me like I'm making this up or just all keep repeating the same thing. No infection just allergies. Well allergy meds are doing nothing for me. It's frustrating that all these weird issues are popping up on me. Sorry.. I just needed to vent. I'm really wishing I was just done with all this right now.

Ticondria and BabyCoach, Sorry to hear of this problem.

Eye  problems and even blindness are known  side effects of that particular method of surgery. because for many hours you have been in the trendelenburg position (upside-down) throughout surgery, the structures of the eyes and brain were not made to have the weight of that much blood in their vessels for so long,therefore some people get minor damages and some get major catastrophies. especially heavier persons

I had a big fight prior to surgery with my surgeons.I refused the Da vinci , My argument being that  I never ever will allow my heart to be higher than my head at any time longer than a few minutes, too much blood pooling  , I visualize a stroke  and blindness both, with my luck.It happens more often than anyone will disclose because the technology and the machine cost millions of dollars ,no one will alert and frighten the public away from this new easy gadget.The fight was long but I ended it by asking for a written guarantee from surgeon and anaesthesiologist that no harm will come to my brain or eyes , that did it  they felt  a law suit coming or realize whose body it is  So 8 pm on the night before my 8am surgery booking, we settled on a total hysterectomy via vagina. I had no problems and was walking up to 10 kilometres  in 5 days, 

I think you will find related info if you google, trendelenburg position /side effects  or Da vinci surgery side effect on brain/ eyes.  I will google around and see what I can find, it must be there somewhere.

Your doctor must be made to document your complaint as it could be directly related,then giving you a copy of such documentation for your records. Do your due deligence, it's after the fact but not too late to know.

Moli --Not a Doctor or advisor just relaying my experience and gained knowledge as I did my due deligence prior to surgery. Nuff Love.

• BabyCoach
    BabyCoach Member Posts: 95
    Thank you Moli

for alerting me to this finding. I will insist that the vision effects be documented. 

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    BabyCoach said:

Thank you Moli

for alerting me to this finding. I will insist that the vision effects be documented. 

Well, I'll be danged!

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810490  Moli, you are right, girl!!!!

Love,

Eldri

• molimoli
    BabyCoach said:

Thank you Moli

Baby Coach you are welcome,

Please do insist on the file documentation,also make dated notes for your personal file and keep them notes as long as you have eyes. One never knows what tomorrow will bring .

Moli--Will always share info to keep us alert and safe. Plenty Love

• molimoli

You ladies are soothing to the nerves

The far left wound refuses to want to heal I think. It's amazing but even 3 weeks after my da vinci surgery, the little wounds where they put the IV's into my hands still have not healed all the way either.  Today I had to go to the store and buy large bandages so that I could cover the far left wound from the Da vinci surgery. It weeps constantly, and no refuses to dry up. I'm an overweight woman (was working on weight loss before this diagnosis) and where the wound is, unless im laying down flat, it tends to get a lot of skin to skin so it sweats and remains a moist wound. (I would run my finger lightly over it and the middle of the wound has no feeling but the very outter edges are where it is sensitive.

So it weeps all day long so i had to get the bandage. I know covering it is not going to let it dry out, but I am getting tired of my clothes being ruined because of all the seepage. That and I was starting to worry about dirt and other things getting into the wound and getting an infection. Even with antihistamines, the itch around my belly is horrendous. And if I even itch around the wounds a little bit, I break out in HUGE welts and my skin turns bright red. What is worse is  that the itching has not moved down to my legs at or around my knees and around back. Showers don't help, and if I stay cold it's easier but I can't stay cold forever, because i shiver so badly that my teeth chatter.

Not to mention that for the past 2 weeks my left hand around the pinky and bottom portion of the palm have very limited sensation, and as of 2 days ago my right hand (the tips of my ring finger and pinky) are now starting to do the same thing. I just don't get it, I know if I ask my surgeon she will just say nothing she did caused it. (like my left eye after surgery seeing nothing but double vision and shadowy outlines. My eyesight has gone downhill so dramatically after my hysterectomy I just don't understand why. I never had any patches put on me, and I'm taking no drugs of any sorts other than ibuprofen to try and control my stomach pain. I'm just not quite sure what to do/think anymore.

I feel like the more I complain the more doctors look at me like I'm making this up or just all keep repeating the same thing. No infection just allergies. Well allergy meds are doing nothing for me. It's frustrating that all these weird issues are popping up on me. Sorry.. I just needed to vent. I'm really wishing I was just done with all this right now.

Tichondria, on second thought

Go to an opthalmologist and ask that  your eyes  be checked for recent damage notifying him that you were upside down for many hours. They can identify that particular damage from any other damage or degeneration as it will likely be blood vessel  related. 

Ask for a copy of his report directly to you. Keep it.

Do you think you should ask to see a wound care doctor before things get out of hand?

I hope things will turn around for you soon my darling, In the mean time we must keep our chins up , we are above ground  and that's a good thing despite all of this s..t.

Moli -Wishing next week will be the start of a good year for you. I am hugging.

• molimoli

Well, I'll be danged!

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810490  Moli, you are right, girl!!!!

Love,

Eldri

Eldri we need your computer skills girl.

Thanks Eldri, but I couldn't log into the site you posted, don't know what I am doing as I am not computer savvy at all . I have admired the computer skills of some of you ,always helping us out with sites to find things. My general doctor told me that the FDA warnings appeared briefly years ago then disappeared but that some sites have limited info only, due to threat of law suite from the creators of the machines.They are restricted to post negatives unless affected patients consents to be outed to the public. Documented total blindness and strokes have happened.

We all must be always vigilant or we will be someone's  OOPS!!patient. I told my surgeon I didn't want to be hers.

She didn't find that statement funny, but that was ok 'cause I was not making a joke, I was dead serious.

Moli,Nuff Love.