The uncertaintity of life

2»

Comments

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 228
    Darn Eldri!

I just spent half an hour composing a spirited reply to Sister3's, I think that was her name, inane comment about your post. But her post was taken down and my reply disappeared! I have never seen anyone attacked for their religious beliefs here. It's been said that everyone in a foxhole believes in God but that is not really true. We are all the product of our lifetime of searching for answers- what does our life mean, why are we here. Many look to organized religion to answer those questions. But many of us are unable to take comfort in those beliefs and are forced to find our own answers. We lead good lives, we love and are loved, help and are helped. And we search. But religious beliefs are not why we join this forum, we join to get answers, to voice our fears, to ask for and offer support. And that is exactly what Eldri has done. Eldri you sound like a wonderful woman and a great mom, a great human being. You go girl!  Love, Sandy

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Sandy3185 said:

Darn Eldri!

I just spent half an hour composing a spirited reply to Sister3's, I think that was her name, inane comment about your post. But her post was taken down and my reply disappeared! I have never seen anyone attacked for their religious beliefs here. It's been said that everyone in a foxhole believes in God but that is not really true. We are all the product of our lifetime of searching for answers- what does our life mean, why are we here. Many look to organized religion to answer those questions. But many of us are unable to take comfort in those beliefs and are forced to find our own answers. We lead good lives, we love and are loved, help and are helped. And we search. But religious beliefs are not why we join this forum, we join to get answers, to voice our fears, to ask for and offer support. And that is exactly what Eldri has done. Eldri you sound like a wonderful woman and a great mom, a great human being. You go girl!  Love, Sandy

Sandy, you are a sweetheart!

Sandy, you are a sweetheart!  Life has so many mysteries that can't be explained by science or religion.  But instead of using up the time we have left debating them, why not just treat people the way we'd want to be treated?  Sometimes there are no answers and all we can do is offer our love, our time and our understanding to help them on their journey.  I've gotten nothing but acceptance and love from this group and I plan to be here until the end (which I hope is about 40 years from now - my plan was to come home from my 103rd birthday party which was held at the bowling alley where I'd just bowled a 300 game and drop dead in my kitchen while eating chocolate covered strawberries).

Love,

Eldri

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member

I just had this discussion

I just had this discussion with our son who also minored in anthropology in college.  We adopted him when he was nine and he told me at that time he didn't believe in a god and he wasn't going to church.  I told him he had come to the right place - LOL!  The previous foster home he had been in were very religious people who, come to find out, were abusing the foster kids placed in their home.  

Fast forward 14 years and he got engaged this past New Year's Eve to a Catholic girl.  She wants to get married in her church and, of course, since he loves her, he agreed.  He equates Catholicism to Voodoo.  They had a meeting with her priest and he wanted to know if our son had ever been baptised and if he was, he had to have written proof.  Over the years I've talked to him about respecting others' beliefs but we sat down after his "meeting" and discussed it in detail.  He asked me if my cancer had changed my beliefs and I was honest with him.  I WISH I could believe because I think it would make dealing with the cancer (and our daughter's cancer) easier, but it's just not in me.  I am also sometimes envious of how people can find such comfort in their beliefs.  I told him, it's not like I know for absolute certain there is nothing out there, maybe there is or maybe there isn't - each person has to decide that for themselves.  It's what gets you through the night and you have to respect that, even if you don't believe it yourself.  That's how, if he's going to make this marriage work, he will have to deal with his fiancee's faith.  

I have many dear, dear friends praying for me and in all sincerity, I thank them because to me, it means they're thinking of me.  I am not at all offended.  I "hope" there is something beyond this life but I don't "believe" there is.  I also believe a person can choose to be happy even under dire circumstances and right now, I choose to be happy!  

Love,

Eldri

Whoops

Mistaken entry

• EZLiving66
    ConnieSW said:

Whoops

Mistaken entry

Thank you, Connie!

Thank you, Connie!  SistersThree didn't upset me - she has her opinion and I have mine and who knows what she's been through to make her feel like that?  Being the heathen I am, I have a really thick skin Tongue Out.  

I love you guys!!

Love,

Eldri

• Red Corvette
    Red Corvette Member Posts: 114 Member

Sandy, you are a sweetheart!

Sandy, you are a sweetheart!  Life has so many mysteries that can't be explained by science or religion.  But instead of using up the time we have left debating them, why not just treat people the way we'd want to be treated?  Sometimes there are no answers and all we can do is offer our love, our time and our understanding to help them on their journey.  I've gotten nothing but acceptance and love from this group and I plan to be here until the end (which I hope is about 40 years from now - my plan was to come home from my 103rd birthday party which was held at the bowling alley where I'd just bowled a 300 game and drop dead in my kitchen while eating chocolate covered strawberries).

Love,

Eldri

Sandy-very well

Sandy-very well said.

Eldri-what a wonderful way to go! 

Red

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    ConnieSW said:

Gosh

i don't recall seeing any request like that in the nearly 4 years I've been reading here.  I think the posts have been respectful of each other's beliefs and feelings and hope it continues to be that way.  I wouldn't want anyone to feel stifled.

Thanks Sisters.

Sandy ,Connie ,Eldri, Today, because of your sense of fairness you have all caused me to tap dance with the top of my head on the ground, go figure that in your mind's eyes.  My AMEN volume just got turned up .

Observation:Bullying doesn't just happen in high school.

Resolve:It must be called out, everytime ,everywhere.

Amen,Amen, Amen !!!

Moli, hugging "happy"

• molimoli
    Sandy3185 said:

Darn Eldri!

Paging Sandy for an earned hug

Sandy, you too bright. You wrapped that tightly and beautifully.

Moli hugging thee,3185.

• molimoli

Sandy-very well

Sandy-very well said.

Eldri-what a wonderful way to go! 

Red

Oh Red we are so happy to have you both on board

In spirit we will be with you both all the time , through the hills and the valleys think us there. Thanks for being a supportive husband. Thanks for being actively on this board we learn from each other and thats important.

Moli wishing you both showers of blessings.

• molimoli

Thank you, Connie!

Thank you, Connie!  SistersThree didn't upset me - she has her opinion and I have mine and who knows what she's been through to make her feel like that?  Being the heathen I am, I have a really thick skin Tongue Out.  

I love you guys!!

Love,

Eldri

I was biting my tongue while you eating chocolate thingey??

Happy for you and your thick skin, heathen Eldri with the teddy bear heart, you need to know that : Being the angel that I am I was  ........  bricks.Thanks to Sandy and Connie I am off the toilet.

Disclaimer : If my manner of speach offend anyone , it was not meant to, so pls. forgive me then GROW UP.

• molimoli

Happy choices

We have had members asked to curtail their religious beliefs for this website. I ask those without beliefs  also curtail from pressing these for the same reason. Not the reason for the website. Our Happy Choices should not be pushed on anyone who feels differently.

Oh Sisters three, I have run

Oh Sisters three, I have run the gauntlet of emotions on your latest posts but now that emotions are out of the way I am now left with this overwhelming need to tell you that I think that you were very unfair to single out Eldri to chastise, I have re-read the three connecting posts,being Cathy's, mine ,and Eldri's , no where in any of those posts were suggestions of wrongness  or rightness of beliefs.no suggestive 'push' one way or the other was expressed by anyone of us ,none of us cared who feels differently ,we were not contemplating conversion attempts. the only conversion I/WE are interested in is from active cancer to NED, therefore I respectfully suggest that your response had absolutely nothing to do with any of our actions, and certainly couldn't be Eldri's without ours.

What is this website for?  We cannot just talk about Cancer,Chemo, Radiation, and Neuropathy, it is sufficating,  life is happening with occurences and events,with joyous things if we seek it.

My sister we all have pained bodies, we are all seeking ways to exhale as cancer traps some of us mid breath, therefore, on a supportive board like this we shouldn't require that participants  come in carrying only pieces of themselves, parking their' whole' somewhere outside of this website, We are not cancer we are human beings with individuality , Cancer is the equalizing  rope that pulls us together here, we stay because we are stronger together.

We cannot be fighting Cancer,additional ailments from treatments, death itself, uncaring doctors (in some cases),and each other too.we musn't be knocking each other down seeking to silence, we musn't be resistant to accepting that we each have different points of view and perceptions, we absolutely must resist the need to insult others when the need  rears it's ugly head, it is not pretty and takes away from us,Most people will say nothing verbally  but in their eyes they see ugly, no one wants to or should embrace rudeness regardless of the source,

Sisters three I am praying ,hoping and wishing that you review the postings  in question and see if your lashing out was really warranted,

Moving forward perhaps in the future you will ,hopefully leave the chastising up to CSN as your approach is not up to snuff at all.

Please know our hearts remain warm as we are all in this rocky boat together and will sometimes tumble over each other. We are tumbling, hope we will soon leave choppy waters ,I really do, we all need each other.

Moli, hugging cautiously.

• Red Corvette
    Red Corvette Member Posts: 114 Member
    molimoli said:

Oh Red we are so happy to have you both on board

In spirit we will be with you both all the time , through the hills and the valleys think us there. Thanks for being a supportive husband. Thanks for being actively on this board we learn from each other and thats important.

Moli wishing you both showers of blessings.

Thank you Moli and blessings

Thank you Moli and blessings right back at ya!

Red

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    molimoli said:

Paging Sandy for an earned hug

Sandy, you too bright. You wrapped that tightly and beautifully.

Moli hugging thee,3185.

The level of loving support here-

among women who have never met face-to-face-astounds me and touches my heart. It is not possible to develop a life-threatening disease that may rob us of decades of living without thinking about the meaning of life itself. We are not mere physical beings! We are intellectual, emotional and spiritual. When I talked about my spiritual struggle earlier in this thread, it had nothing to do with anyone else's beliefs. I was not judging anyone's belief system. It is not my place to do so. I laid my personal soul bare when I said that I wished I had a deeper faith. I confided my feelings because I trust each of you to respect who I am, as I also respect you.

Wishing each of you a light load today,

Love,

Cathy

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Abbycat2 said:

among women who have never met face-to-face-astounds me and touches my heart. It is not possible to develop a life-threatening disease that may rob us of decades of living without thinking about the meaning of life itself. We are not mere physical beings! We are intellectual, emotional and spiritual. When I talked about my spiritual struggle earlier in this thread, it had nothing to do with anyone else's beliefs. I was not judging anyone's belief system. It is not my place to do so. I laid my personal soul bare when I said that I wished I had a deeper faith. I confided my feelings because I trust each of you to respect who I am, as I also respect you.

Love,

Cathy

Cathy

beautifully said

• EZLiving66
    Abbycat2 said:

Love,

Cathy

Exactly, Cathy!
    Love,
    Eldri

Exactly, Cathy!

Love,

Eldri

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Abbycat2 said:

Love,

Cathy

We are not our disease

We often speak of "treating" the whole patient, not just the disease, and here we support the whole person.  One of the wonderful things about this board is the sharing of feelings, beliefs, struggles and joys without fear of judgement.  These are all part of our experience of cancer as much as our physical symptoms.  I am honored to be privy to the most private and sometimes painful experiences my sisters here have chosen to share, be they physical, emotional or spiritual.  

Peace and strength,

Chris

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Editgrl said:

We are not our disease

We often speak of "treating" the whole patient, not just the disease, and here we support the whole person.  One of the wonderful things about this board is the sharing of feelings, beliefs, struggles and joys without fear of judgement.  These are all part of our experience of cancer as much as our physical symptoms.  I am honored to be privy to the most private and sometimes painful experiences my sisters here have chosen to share, be they physical, emotional or spiritual.  

Peace and strength,

Chris

Agree Chris!

Well said!

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 228
    Chris and Cathy

Well and beautifully said! I feel closer to the women on this board than I do to some people I have known for years. Our freedom to share our innermost feelings and fears without judgement is wonderful. Love, Sandy

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Editgrl said:

We are not our disease

Peace and strength,

Chris

can't find anything better to say

This is one place where everyone needs to feel free to say what they feel.  Hugs and prayers to all you wonderful ladies.  Lou Ann