Looking for Support

Hi, new to these boards. I am a 59 year old male in good health, late last year I found I was short of breath and tired, more than normal (no other symptoms). To make a long story short(er), after several tests, colonoscopy and CT scan, I had surgery to remove the tumor and 34 lymph nodes, of which about half were cancerous. That was a month ago, and at the time they also noticed a 1.9 cm mass in my right lung but it was unclear what this was, and there were several other very miniscule nodes (<1-2 mm) that they said were common to see in the Midwest (they were even attributing it to possible valley fever that I contracted about a year before). However, now these nodes are more prominent, even though they are still very small. So today was my first of 12 chemo sessions (FOLFOX and Avastin), so really hoping this will do the trick or at least reduce/eliminate these so they can consider thoracic surgery to remove/burn/freeze the others. Just wondering if anyone else out here has run into this before. There is nothing on my liver, spine, other lymph nodes, so I am lucky that way.

I have a strong support group and am really trying to put all my trust in my Lord and the doctors here at Mayo Clinic (another blessing), but it is hard, especially when each time we have gotten an update it is not good news. It is just difficult not knowing at this point, especially if the cancer will react to the chemo.

Thanks to everyone out here, reading similar stories helps me know I am not alone.

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,428 Member
    Sorry To Say Welcome to The Boards

It is a good place to be, but always not a place one likes to wind up.  Great people here to help get through things.  I am Stage IIIC with heavy lymph node involvement, half of about 22.  Had surgery almost a year ago and finished up chemo last August.  I have various nodules they are monitoring in the lungs, liver and kidneys.  They may be nothing more than the usual things that crop up in the human body.  But of course, being in the situation we are all in, the specter looms.  

Some of my things in my lungs could be from prior bout of pneumonia, general infection or other things.  And it sounds like your doc has seen it before from the valley fever.  Also, depending on things, some nodes may look more prominent based on how scans are done and timing.  Which of course does not give us the warm fuzzy feeling.  

It is an emotional roller coaster for sure with each test and the rest.  Mayo is a great medical facility, so it sounds like you are in good hands there.  I did not have exactly the same thing going on, so perhaps someone else may be able to add some more that is on point for you.

Again, welcome.

• ddweber
    ddweber Member Posts: 4
    NewHere said:

Sorry To Say Welcome to The Boards

It is a good place to be, but always not a place one likes to wind up.  Great people here to help get through things.  I am Stage IIIC with heavy lymph node involvement, half of about 22.  Had surgery almost a year ago and finished up chemo last August.  I have various nodules they are monitoring in the lungs, liver and kidneys.  They may be nothing more than the usual things that crop up in the human body.  But of course, being in the situation we are all in, the specter looms.  

Some of my things in my lungs could be from prior bout of pneumonia, general infection or other things.  And it sounds like your doc has seen it before from the valley fever.  Also, depending on things, some nodes may look more prominent based on how scans are done and timing.  Which of course does not give us the warm fuzzy feeling.  

It is an emotional roller coaster for sure with each test and the rest.  Mayo is a great medical facility, so it sounds like you are in good hands there.  I did not have exactly the same thing going on, so perhaps someone else may be able to add some more that is on point for you.

Again, welcome.

Thank You

Thank you, NewHere. It is just good to talk to someone who has been through it, and you're right it is an emotional roller coaster.

That being said, I have now seen many other patients at Mayo much younger than me, and my wife used to work at the Ronald McDonald House, where kids with this kind of stuff just break your heart. If I had a choice to swap my good health up till now for their suffering, I would do it in a split second. Not saying I am planning to check out anytime soon, not at all, just that their cases make me sad.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Welcome and sorry you're

Welcome and sorry you're here. I does help to discuss issues with fellow cancer survivors but it also is hard to tell how your situation will end up when everyone's journey is so different. It would be so much easier of there were definite answers. If you do A and B the result will be C but it's not always the case. I hope you will do well. Take care.

Jan

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,428 Member
    ddweber said:

Thank You

Thank you, NewHere. It is just good to talk to someone who has been through it, and you're right it is an emotional roller coaster.

That being said, I have now seen many other patients at Mayo much younger than me, and my wife used to work at the Ronald McDonald House, where kids with this kind of stuff just break your heart. If I had a choice to swap my good health up till now for their suffering, I would do it in a split second. Not saying I am planning to check out anytime soon, not at all, just that their cases make me sad.

All This

I say the same thing.  Every time I see a young person with this stupid disease.  Just so unfair.  Sounds like your wife is a pretty special person (and so are you.)

• ddweber
    ddweber Member Posts: 4
    JanJan63 said:

Welcome and sorry you're

Welcome and sorry you're here. I does help to discuss issues with fellow cancer survivors but it also is hard to tell how your situation will end up when everyone's journey is so different. It would be so much easier of there were definite answers. If you do A and B the result will be C but it's not always the case. I hope you will do well. Take care.

Jan

Thanks Jan

Nice to hear another voice, thanks for the response. That is what is so maddening about this all is just the waiting and not knowing. I am on the chemo treatments now and my anemia is pretty much a thing of the past, which is helping me become more active. Just relying on faith and trust in God now, as well as my excellent doctors/team and great support from family and friends. It does all help to stay positive, something that is not easy to do.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Welcome to the forum

As New said, not a place anyone cares to be, but now your're here, you'll not regret signing in. 

Good luck with the chemo. I was on the Oxi and it can be harsh, so be prepared for a ride. The biggest thing to look out for is the neuropathy, hands and feet, don't let it get too bad as it tends to stay with you long after treatment has ended. 

There are a ton of other side effects, so you may or may not expereince. Here's hoping you breeze through, and the chemo does its job. 

Sue - Trubrit

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,289 Member
    Didn't have the same

Didn't have the same diagnosis, but when mets pop up, it all has a similar feel. All you can do is focus on the next step in treatment, and , living in the moment, make the best of the normal stuff, the routine. Hopefully you respond well to the chemo, and the spots disappear, which happens. It's a long road your on, so getting in tune with a new normal, certainly helps you cope with the ups and downs, faith helps, friends help, and being here helps, because these folks want to know the details, something the unexperienced don't usually want to hear. So keep us informed, and all the luck in the world to you............................Dave