mri with endorectal coil

Annelis
Annelis Member Posts: 7

Is anyone familiar with this type of MRI? Can you tell me if there is any special prep to be done prior to the procedure? Husband is scheduled for Friday. Surgery is scheduled in less than two weeks. Things are happening very quickly here. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. Anne in PA

Comments

• Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    Multiparametric MRI or MRI/MRSI or 3-Tesla MRI

If your husband is scheduled for surgery on Friday, why are you asking about this now? 

The procedure of doing an MRI with an endorectal coil is referred to variously as a "mutliparametric MRI" or "MRI/MRSI or "3-Tesla MRI."  

What's different about this scan is that it is spectroscopic and detects the presence of choline which is a marker for cancer.  I had this test done at UCSF when there was concern about a possible recurrence of my cancer following SBRT (Cyberknife radiation) treatment.  A dye is injected in your body and the endotrectal coil is inserted in your rectum; that's all the prep involved prior to scanning.

Here is a link to some general information about the procedure: http://www.radiology.ucsf.edu/patient-care/services/prostate-exam-study#accordion-metabolic-imaging and here's a link to a research paper detailing the benefitis of using MRI/MRSI for PCa screening: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1578527/

If this is something your husband wants/needs done, I suggest you postone the surgery until the scan is completed to verfiy the existence and location of the cancer in order to determine if surgery is even necessary and, if it is, where the "cutting" if any should be done.

Good luck!

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,315 Member
    Special prep?

Your doctor's office should have provided you with info regarding what needs to be done prior to the procedure. Our 'advice' wouldn't be relevant.

Give the office a call to find out.

As Swingshiftworker pointed out, don't be rushed if you haven't considered the alternatives to prostate removal surgery.